France to The North Cap, Norway

Microburst

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone interested in a trip up along the west coast of Norway to the north cap in June 2011. I am danish , live in the south of France, could meet interested rider/riders en-route. I will be doing some camping on the way in remote locations to explore the beautiful nature (enjoy bushcraft & survival)
Sounds cool...????

Norkapp is on my "to do" list at about that time, so maybe we will bump into each other on the way? Suggest you keep adding to this thread as your plans develop.
And Welcome to the Site, perhaps you might put a note in the Newbies section to introduce yourself to everyone.
Safe Riding:thumb2

Last edited:
Sounds a bit different - I could quite fancy that
It would depend on work/wife on wether I could start the trip from SOF though :D

Could I let you know in the New Year ?

No problems at all. You are free to start from my house (near Avignon) or join along the route ; France, Germany, Denmark or Norway.........

I am using this trip to prepare and test various equipment before heading into less "civilized" countries. Norway is known as the last frontier in europe which has great appeal to me.

This trip will be based on great flexibility, allowing everyone to fit in their personal itinerary. We can string together routes/ meeting points etc. Very open to suggestions type of thing.

I personally would like to mix wild camping with an occasional B&B.

I will post my choice of route soon :moped:

Currently making plans to visit Norway in June / July - nothing firm yet, just trying to work it all out.
Will keep watching this thread :thumb2

Nordkapp is NOT on my must-do-list.
But I would love to meet all of you as you are passing my area!
I live just outside Oslo.

CU I hope! :thumb2

:) Liv.

Hi Microburst

Did this trip a few years ago :drool :thumb2 had a great time :aidan just mind the speed traps :rob very expensive. Great country and people, camped most of the time as prices for camping were cheap and good facility. Want to know any more drop me a pm, was thinking about going back possibly next year. :bounce1 :JB

Scuba

Provisional Trip route

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Have been away! :augie
Also thanks for taking an interest. Nice to see :thumb

I will try to give you a rough itinerary here, so that those of you interested (on route or from beginning) can do some planning. Time scale will be 3-4 weeks.

Here it goes::type

Avignon (France) ➠ Hirtshals (Denmark)

Leave Avignon France in the beginning of June 2011 and make my way to Hirtshals Denmark via eastern France and Freiburg im Breisgau Germany (black forest area), then "mixed" roads up to Denmark. Don't want to spend too long on this part as Norway will take up a lot of time. Thinking around 3 days

Hirtshals (Denmark) ➠ Kristiansand (Norway)

Boat journey ( dates to be booked and confirmed)

Kristiansand (Norway) ➠ Bergen ➠ Tromsø ➠ Nordkapp (Norway) :bounce1

Will select POI (points of interest) along this route mixing wild camping, B&B and bushcraft (maybe a Sami course) a long the way.Hoping to arrive at Nordkapp around the 21'st of June. This will be looked into over the coming months. I will allow for great flexibility and enjoy the journey rather than the destination:clap

Return part of journey:

Nordkapp ➠ Oslo ➠ Kristiansand (Norway)

Again POI's; speed will depend on how much time have been used above.
Have a :beer:!!!

Kristiansand (Norway) ➠ Hirtshals (Denmark)

Hirtshals (Denmark) ➠ Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany) ➠ Avignon (France)

There you are. :bounce1 It will give you some idea when looking on a map. :thumb2

Cheers!!!

Velkommen til... :D

Was there in 2008, and it was bloody cold - not that this should stop you, but do remember that there is a 80km speedlimit in most of Norway, and they do take it serious:blagblah

But one of the things which surprised me is that Nordkapp is very very very far away, like really far... (as far a way from Rotterdam as the Atlas Mountains in Morocco). So do plan a bit longer than you think you need.

Casper

A couple of friends rode up from Calais last summer. It took them a full two weeks, riding all day every day. They had a great time but I could best summarise their report of the the trip as "It was a bloody long way!"

Lofoten Isles

Had an amazing trip last year
took 23 days
as Robin said its a long long way
if you are going that far up
and want to see some really stunning scenery
look at a visit to the Lofoten Isles
was the high light of our holiday
good luck
Gaz :thumb2

Heading that way too!

Planning to head that way myself in June but won't be setting off until the 13th from the UK as things stand at the moment. Provisional route is to North Cap then come back down the far side of the Baltic. Keep us informed as your plans firm up. Not sure yet if I will ride though Holland or catch the Harwich ferry straight to Denmark.

Departure date update!

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your interest and contributions.:bounce1

I now know that I will leave (avignon, France) on the 16 of June. :thumb

Hoping to be in Norway (Kristiansand) on the 19 of June. Let me how you are fixed????....

I've always fancied this trip, but a couple of things are putting me off.

1. 80kph
2. Price of everything, especially the beer with which I cannot do without at the end of a day's riding.
3. Liv doesn't seem to rate it, but never says why . . .
4. Have you any idea how far it is!
5. Combine 1 and 4 and its starts looking like a very long very expensive trip.

On the other hand, I'd love to see the aurora.

I'm doing Hirtshals to Kristiansand Monday 20th

Return ferry Kristiansand to Hirtshals Thurs 30th June, so might see some of you out there, but maybe not, big place, not many peeps.

My GS purchase has been put back to october due to court dates adn ££, so if you see a woman on a blue Suzuki with gb plates thats me. Dunno how far north i'm going yet, sat here with a pile of maps and a list of where I want to go. Saving my route planning for a rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom