Santiago to Buenos Aires via Tierra del Fuego

ian640

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who had accomplished Santiago to Buenos Aires via Tierra del Fuego thinks it's a worthwhile trip and could also comment on whether it's reasonable to do such a trip in approximately three to four weeks (constrained by work) without it being a mad rush.

Thanks,

Ian.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who had accomplished Santiago to Buenos Aires via Tierra del Fuego thinks it's a worthwhile trip and could also comment on whether it's reasonable to do such a trip in approximately three to four weeks (constrained by work) without it being a mad rush.

Thanks,

Ian.

... Ruta 40 in southern Argentina is one of the great roads of the world. There are a gazillion trails in the mountains, three oceans (Atlantic, Pacific and Southern) to be perused.

... Yes you can do it in 3-4 weeks but if you're planning remember:-

... You need at least 48 hours at each end of the trip to sort insurance and to import/export your bike (sea freight may take longer.) Cargo terminals may operate seven days, but insurance offices do not and customs facilities may not for personal importers.

... Ushuaia back up to BsAs is a three day slog

... Winter is grim down south, Nov-March is the season to go.

... Globebusters, Compass Expeditions and others do Patagonia tours of between 18 & 30 day duration.

... Quit work!!!

Hi,

Thanks,

Ian.

I am planning to do this in Jan/Feb 2012. As the Bede says if you look at the length of some of the tours from Santiago to Ushuaia I think it should be possible, though I'll probably take longer to take into account getting lost falling off and getting hung over

Thanks, useful info.

... You don't say if you want to do a tour, specifically not do a tour, hire a bike or ship, that all makes a difference to the timing of your plan.

... Tour dates are tours dates, they work for you or not. Big up for the tours is all your logistics are handled, downside is the reduction in flexibility and also price, the tours tend to take in higher end accommodation and fancy dinners in the company of your own group, I prefer to muck in with the locals.

... There is some bike rental available in Buenos Aires, don't know they'd fancy a one way rental, or if you do a round robin. FWIW Buenos Aires to Santiago over the mountains is a two day ride (16-18 hours saddle time, 10 to Mendoza, bottle of red, 6-8 hours over the top and a quick photo in front of Aconcagua for shits'n'giggles) plus the border nonsense. If I spot one of the rental guys I'll get a web-site address for you.

... Shipping your own bike, it's what you bought that big rufty-tufty looking thing for in the first place, stop fannying about and put it on a plane/boat and get over here, it's doable :thumb

The Bede you sound like a font of useful information so I presume you've done a similar trip. Do you have any other useful info., routes, places to avoid or see etc?

Currently my mate & I favour a flight to Santiago, rental round the vine yards before joining a tour to T del F and then seeing if we can ride the bikes back to Santiago via B A. Most of the tours seem one way ending at Ushuaia but I have spoken with SAMt http://www.samttours.com/ and they seem to be willing but no prices yet.

Perhaps a bit long for ian640 but any insight much appreciated.

Apologies to ian640 for high-jacking his thread :ague but here are some links which might useful:

http://www.motoaventura.cl/web/home_in.htm
http://www.motoaventura.cl/web/home_in.htm
http://www.horizonte-tours.com/motorcycle/home.html
http://www.patagoniarider.com/en/alquilar-moto-patagonia-argentina-chile.html
http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/samerica/chile/santiago_rental.htm http://www.daretours.com/english/index.htm
http://www.hctravel.com/html/chile___argentina.html
http://www.patagoniabackroads.com/

and check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw25r-swFnU

Hi,

... You don't say if you want to do a tour, specifically not do a tour, hire a bike or ship, that all makes a difference to the timing of your plan.

Shipping my own bike works for me (advantages of tours recognised).

... I prefer to muck in with the locals.

Half the memories are of the folks you meet.

... bottle of red

My kind of tour.

... Shipping your own bike, it's what you bought that big rufty-tufty looking thing for in the first place :thumb

They're not (just) for looking at.

Round trip may work well, thanks for the info re BA to Santiago the short route. Please keep the info coming. Further questions in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Ian.

FYI

... I have shipped a bike in and out of lat-am and done a wee bit of snooping around. But alas not all the routes you plan... on a bike, but I have covered most of it by other means over a longish period now.

... I'm living in BsAs at the moment and I'm happy to help Tossers and NFB who visit these parts where I can.

... A couple of other good people to know are Javier and Sandra at Dakar Motos in Vicente Lopez (a suburb of Buenos Aires) Linky Dinky

... There are main BMW Mottrad dealers in BsAs, Mendoza and Santiago

... Lemme know what you need :thumb

... Lemme know what you need :thumb

I'd appreciate it if you could answer or expand on the following:

1.Is there a recommended set of maps? For Africa I've always used Michelin for planning and IGN for detailed navigation. These seem to be the de facto standard at least for some of the the francophone countries. Is there a similar recommended set for Chile and Argentina?

2. Vehicle Insurance requirements. What you need and how you go about buying it?

3. Is a carnet de passage or similar required?

4. I assume a decent knowledge of Latin American Spanish is required (in my view it's just impolite not to learn the basics).

5. Could you recommend a shipper (air) or indeed a cargo-carrying airline (that won't run a mile from shipping a bike)?

6. Last but not least, any estimate of the fuel range required for the route I'm planning?

I feel a bit lazy not bothering to go and find these things out for myself :augie

Thanks,

Ian.

I'd appreciate it if you could answer or expand on the following:

1.Is there a recommended set of maps? For Africa I've always used Michelin for planning and IGN for detailed navigation. These seem to be the de facto standard at least for some of the the francophone countries. Is there a similar recommended set for Chile and Argentina?

... Ha,ha,ha you're quite the japester, maps what a laugh :loopy

... Basic, cheap, road maps are found in gas stations. You can buy one that covers all of Argentina and Chile that will actually serve quite well, but don't expect bridle paths to be marked. What's most important, when you're in the mountains or right down south is to get the map with fuel stops marked.

2. Vehicle Insurance requirements. What you need and how you go about buying it?

... In Santiago, or BsAs, you buy basic 3rd party, costs about £75 for a year, but you just pay the first couple of months. That should cover you for Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia, but oddly not Peru.

... Fully comp on a $15-20K gringo bike???
... No chance, it's at your own risk

... Here's the thing, to confirm your 'out of country' cover you need a card or cover note. That takes 48hours in Buenos Aires and probably similar in Santiago. (Big hint, go directly from the airport to the insurance office and buy it, take licence, title docs and passport. Buy insurance. Next day clear the bike from airport, 3rd day you can probably head out of town fully papered up.)

... I can give you details where to go in BsAs, try HUBB or ADVrider for the skinny on Santiago

3. Is a carnet de passage or similar required?

... No, though Ecudaor may be the one exception south of the Darian Gap

... Bikes are imported on temporary tourist paperwork, typically 90 days, but Argentina once gave me 8 months and Uruguay a year. Budget 2 hours for a land frontier, and about 6 hours for the initial clearance at which ever airport you freight into.

4. I assume a decent knowledge of Latin American Spanish is required (in my view it's just impolite not to learn the basics).

... Out of town you will find little English spoken. I didn't speak any Spanish when I first came to Lat-Am and I muddled through. Point and grunt is universal.

... Do make sure you learn the words 'gasolina' and 'combustible' (com-bus-teeblay)

... Forget to word 'petrol,' or 'petroleo' and 'gazol' unless your bike runs on diesel

... Never speak spanish with the cops, eventually they shrug their shoulder and give up trying to whack you for a bribe. If they want money, deny having cash and offer up your Amex, they hate that!

... If you do learn Spanish you will find the Argentine accent is so thick you can't understand what they're saying anyway and Chileans babble so quickly they're equally unintelligble.

5. Could you recommend a shipper (air) or indeed a cargo-carrying airline (that won't run a mile from shipping a bike)?

... In the UK speak to James Cargo, 01753 678822, they're based at Colnbrook near Heathrow, Giles Ernsting, or Roddy Warriner are the bike guys to know and are very friendly.

... Lufthansa and United are both bike friendly. I can give you the details for both UA and the Luftwaffe operations in Buenos Aires

... Buy one way freight and buy the return leg in cash US$ (about $1600-1700) when you're ready to leave. After you've bought insurance you can pre-book the return space while you're waiting for your bike to arrive (no deposit required when I've done it.) Obviously you can ask whoever shipped the bike in when you go to pick it up.

... I suggest you consign the bike to return to James Cargo if they are who you use to freight out with.

6. Last but not least, any estimate of the fuel range required for the route I'm planning?

... Down south 200miles/300km (a standard GS tank) should easily cover it. For the odd occasion where you might want more fill a couple of 2l PET bottles and bungy them on. Look for the maps with the gas-stations marked (I lent mine to Pumpy who's heading back up to BsAs from Ushuaia as we write, I'll find out what map brand to look for when she returns)

... Paso de Jama, which is the northern most mountain crossing between Chile and Argentina has a 200mile fuel free stretch, the Bolivian sierra and the 'chaco' the swamp that is north east Argentina and all of Paraguay are also pretty light for fuel.

I feel a bit lazy not bothering to go and find these things out for myself :augie

Thanks,

Ian.

... Yes! That's why at least one of my answers is a complete lie :D

... **** the advice, this isn't rocket science, put your bike on a plane, pick it up at the other end, ride around a bit, put it back on anothe plane and bore friends and family shitless with tales of derring do for the rest of your life.

... Job's a carrot :pullface

... Another thought :duno

... I know you're time limited, but have you thought about leaving a bike in Lat-Am and tackling it in stages?

... Javier at Dakar Motos in Buenos Aires LINK has stored bikes for people and knows a lot about the paperwork necessary to make it happen without re-export problems. He speaks English :thumb

Thanks for all this useful info :thumb2

I've not thought of leaving a bike there but then I wouldn't be planning to return for a few years, but you never know :)

south america trip

Hi,

Thanks,

Ian.

I am origianlly from Chile and have worked in Patagonia as a hiking guide, i currently live/ work in Telluride, CO and ride an 1150 GS. Check out my website: www.gsthewest.com - are you looking for someone to do the tour with??? I speak Spanish fluently and would love to do something like this- provided the work/ time constraints... let me know-

My Adventure

I am origianlly from Chile and have worked in Patagonia as a hiking guide, i currently live/ work in Telluride, CO and ride an 1150 GS. Check out my website: www.gsthewest.com - are you looking for someone to do the tour with??? I speak Spanish fluently and would love to do something like this- provided the work/ time constraints... let me know-
Great to read ALL of the above. I'm working on Getting my bike to Anchorage next June/July and making the trip south from Prudhoe Bay. Seems like The Bede and Sawpit will be a good resource for my trip!! Read some of Bede's stuff about SA travel and found that informative too. Cheers, Dave:thumb

Thanks for the suggestion sawpit. I'm not at present looking for someone to do the trip with as I generally prefer to travel alone or with very close friends. It's nothing personal and there is definitely no offence meant.

Cheers,

Ian.

Great Scott. Hi. Noticed you are planning a south american trip in 2012 - Interested in company? If not I would love to hear the details of your plan as I want to do a ssimiliar trip. Let me know

St Bede Indeed!
what a star - thanks for sharing all your knowledge & experience - I look forwards to finding out which item of info is the complete lie!

At the risk of abusing your kindness............a one man tent and basic camping gear is my aim. I assume you can pull off the road where you want to & set up camp?

Cheers
delb

St Bede Indeed!
what a star - thanks for sharing all your knowledge & experience - I look forwards to finding out which item of info is the complete lie!

At the risk of abusing your kindness............a one man tent and basic camping gear is my aim. I assume you can pull off the road where you want to & set up camp?

Cheers
delb

... With the usual caveats about don't be a plonker and exercise a smidgen of common sense there are lots of opportunities to wild camp in Lat-Am. Leaner pickings around the big urban centres, but ask permisson from any obvious inhabitants with a bit of charm and you might just end getting nice things like hot showers, home cooked meals and a feel of the missus!

I did Santiago to BA via Ushaia back in 1982 as part of a N and S American tour on my BMW R100.
We did that leg in 16 mad, tiring days, and covered 5,500 miles.
A carnet de passage was absolutely essential in those days, I'm glad to see things have changed there. The roads in Patagonia and over the Andes were mostly dirt, I quess they are all tarmacked now. The strong winds in Patagonia make riding very tiring, on the way north we had a couple of Canadians with us on XT500s, they were being blown all over the place so we got them to ride just behind in our slipstreams to keep the speed up. We spent 4 weeks in BA at a place called the Backgammon Bar, is it still there? We found the people very friendly and helpful wherever we went, especially Mecanica Ruben in BA.
Good luck with the trip.

Back
Top Bottom