The Carl Stearns Clancy run...

I'll definitely be doing this in Oct 2012 for the centenary (maybe next year too, we'll see) and will stay overnight in Donegal and prob Belfast.

It's a while away yet, but if anyone else wants to do it too I'll be happy to make the arrangements closer to the time. :aidan

I'll definitely be doing this in Oct 2012 for the centenary (maybe next year too, we'll see) and will stay overnight in Donegal and prob Belfast.

It's a while away yet, but if anyone else wants to do it too I'll be happy to make the arrangements closer to the time. :aidan

I am just after typing a full page of stuff and went to post it and
lost the thing saying i had to sign in :mad::mad::mad:
will do it again tomorrow...
When i calm down

Sorry about this lads n ladies just got more info through today
going through it now...
Does anybody know if Dr Gregory W Frazier was incontact with
Carls family ?
cheers
joe
ps there's a great story here (its great to be Irish) :aidan

Does anybody know if Dr Gregory W Frazier was incontact with
Carls family ?
cheers
joe
ps there's a great story here (its great to be Irish) :aidan

Looking at the amount of research he details in the introduction I would imagine he would have tried to make contact with any remaining family but there's no mention of any contact so I'd say he probably didn't succeed. Also he's very comprehensive in his Thank Yous and there's no mention here either.

I've sent him an email and I'll let you know if I get any reply Joe.

Is your extra material to do with the movies with Will Rogers? I'd love to see the one made in Dublin.

Looking at the amount of research he details in the introduction I would imagine he would have tried to make contact with any remaining family but there's no mention of any contact so I'd say he probably didn't succeed. Also he's very comprehensive in his Thank Yous and there's no mention here either.

I've sent him an email and I'll let you know if I get any reply Joe.

Is your extra material to do with the movies with Will Rogers? I'd love to see the one made in Dublin.

No but TG4 has a copy of it, was speakin to a mate
who works in media and there should be no problemsgetting copies of both movies to show.
Glenboy are you on horizons ?
Sorry for not posting what i have yet, will do tonight
its just going through it and i am on a crap shift at work

When I first read the original post on here about Carl, I could not believe me eyes
what a great story and then to find out his father was Irish, it just got better and better.
Now the thing about it is when the the 2012 ride out is on, I will hopefully be sunning
me spotty arse on some island in the pacific ocean with me moto beside me...
But would love to help getting it going...

When Brain put up the link to the google page so you could read the first part of the book I was hooked...
I looked at the route Carl took in Ireland and wondered why he went the way he did
Most tourist's to Ireland would be of to the Killarney lakes and then to the cliffs of Moher, as they do today, So why Slieve League ???
I started to look into his past, i order up all the census reports that Dr G. Frazier listed in his book and now have copies of the original documents, I then started to work backwards.

Carl's Father as it says in the book was a clergyman (this is great news because the protestant church records are usually far better kept )
From some of the records i have got so far it looks like in one document William P. Clancy (Carl's Father) arrived in USA from Ireland during the time of an Gorta Mór (Irish Famine) he was a child in arms...
This got me thinking maybe this is why he went to Donegal because of family past, so this is what i am trying to do now is to find Carl's roots in Ireland, I have got the names of his Grand father and Grand Mother
also have his sister's name and a few details on her... What i would love to find is a living relative of Carl's still living in Ireland... its a like finding a needle in a hay stack... but believe me I will do it...

At the moment I cant prove Donegal as place of Williams birth (so this maybe a wild goose chase) but will

find out what part of this wee Island he is from...

The stuff ive got so far is this...

All original copies of documents listed above and a few more that I am still going through...

I have a 1st edition of Carl's book "The Saga of Leif Ericsson, Discoverer of America" and

its signed by the man himself, full signature of his full name (would look great on a T-Shirt)

I have also managed to get one of Carl's postcards from Ceylon

I am trying to get an original McCreedy's road map of Ireland at the moment (it be great to

give everybody who goes on the ride out a copy of this on the day to follow his route)

I am only I the start of this and

as I said this maybe a wild goose chase

does this make sense ???

Theres more stuff Ive found out but want to confirm before i post...

Jaysus it makes you proud to be Irish :aidan:aidan:aidan

Bought the book off Amazon, quite interesting and well written so far (he has done Ireland, UK, Holland so it early days..). Still tha pair of them at it, yer man did not drop out yet.

Great theme for an anniversary spin next year (Oct 17 912 is when they arrived in Liverpool, so they would have got to Dublin a day or so later)

Book is Motorcycle Adventurer by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier ISBN 978-1-4502-2141-3
www.universe.com

Bought the book off Amazon, quite interesting and well written so far (he has done Ireland, UK, Holland so it early days..). Still tha pair of them at it, yer man did not drop out yet.

Great theme for an anniversary spin next year (Oct 17 912 is when they arrived in Liverpool, so they would have got to Dublin a day or so later)

Book is Motorcycle Adventurer by Dr. Gregory W. Frazier ISBN 978-1-4502-2141-3
www.universe.com

I thoroughly agree Bin.

Myself and Joe the Celt have been communicating and I can say that there will definitely be an event to coincide with the centenary. From my own reading, allowing for getting from Liverpool to Dublin, the false starts etc, I reckon the trip started on the 21st.

As well as organising the event we will be generating some publicity - this guy's exploits deserve to be much better known.

More details will be posted a little later this year, but keep a few days free around Oct 21st 2012. :thumb2

FAO - JOE & FEARGAL

I have traced the Email address of the owner of a 1924 Henderson.
He lives in Co. Cork (or maybe Kerry?) and won a concours award for it in an event last year.
You might PM me as to how best to proceed so as to generate enthusiasm in a Henderson owner.

He lives in Co. Cork (or maybe Kerry?) and won a concours award for it in an event last year.
You might PM me as to how best to proceed so as to generate enthusiasm in a Henderson owner.

Fairplay P.J. :thumb2
Feargal be the man to sent it to...
Will post a few more bits n bobs on Clancy at the
weekend you might find interesting :thumb2

PM on the way to you PJ. That's brilliant news - it would be great to have a Henderson involved. Thanks a million for digging out the info :thumb2

Looking forward to hearing the details of the run as I missed the seminar at HU

follow CSC Route from Dublin to Donegal

T35 (old road name)
Dublin to Donegal
Dublin-Clonee-Dunshaughlin-Navan-Kells-Virginia-Cavan-Butlersbridge-Cloverhill-border-(multiplex with T10-T15)-A3-Wattle Bridge-A34-Newtownbutler-Lisnaskea-Tamlaght-A4-Enniskillen-A32-Irvinestown-A35-Kesh-border-T35-Pettigo-Laghey-(to Donegal via T18). Now N3 (Dublin-Butlersbridge), N54 (Butlersbridge-border nr Wattle Bridge), A3-B533 (Wattle Bridge-Netwownbutler)-A34 (Newtownbutler-Lisniskea)-B514 (Lisnaskea-Tamlaght)-A4-A32-A35, R232 (Pettigo-Laghey), N15 (ex-T18).

Back
Top Bottom