Bikesafe 2011

topcat2006

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone booked to do any of the courses next year? Just booke up to do the May course in Gloucester.

Notice they have an all new website which is easier to use and you can book online.

www.bikesafe.co.uk

Tom

forest biker

Anyone booked to do any of the courses next year? Just booke up to do the May course in Gloucester.

Notice they have an all new website which is easier to use and you can book online.

www.bikesafe.co.uk

Tom

hi topcat ive done one on my sports bike a couple of years ago but never on my gsa , got to admit i found it pretty good , gave you some nice tips . I may join you in may if i can fit it in :)

hi topcat ive done one on my sports bike a couple of years ago but never on my gsa , got to admit i found it pretty good , gave you some nice tips . I may join you in may if i can fit it in :)

Let me know if you do - would be good to meet with other tossers!

Signed up for Lothian and Borders, hopefully they'll have some courses next year.

FP.

Lothian and Borders sounds great. Im originally from Eyemouth and my parents still live their - never managed to come up on a bike yet but may do one day!

Tom

www.bikesafe.co.uk

Tom

Glad you found the website user friendly. Did we meet at BVM last week ?

Hi Martyn,

Yes we did. Did your Boots work out ok?

I was going to pm you but it doesn't look as though I can.

I wondered if I could have a hand with a junction. Do you know "The old Neighbourhood" off the A419 where Noah's Ark used to be?

I come to that junction from the Stroud direction and turn left up the hill. I never seem to take it in a "flowing" manner - I always seem to "stutter" round it. Its a sharp left turn, beginning to turn back on yourself and going up a slope too. I come down from 40 on the 419, do my usual procedure for a left turn and end up in 1st going up the hill but it really does not feel right. Can you offer any pointers?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Martyn,

Yes we did. Did your Boots work out ok?

I was going to pm you but it doesn't look as though I can.

I wondered if I could have a hand with a junction. Do you know "The old Neighbourhood" off the A419 where Noah's Ark used to be?

I come to that junction from the Stroud direction and turn left up the hill. I never seem to take it in a "flowing" manner - I always seem to "stutter" round it. Its a sharp left turn, beginning to turn back on yourself and going up a slope too. I come down from 40 on the 419, do my usual procedure for a left turn and end up in 1st going up the hill but it really does not feel right. Can you offer any pointers?

Thanks

Tom

My boots have been given a nice "pre-use wax treatment" as Mr Daytona recommends. Now i want the snow to go away.
I know the Old Neighbourhood well, although I usually approach it from the Hyde Hill side, opposite.
From Stroud I would, certainly on the RT which has higher gearing, be in first. I suspect I'd be in first on the GS as well. Next time I'm there I'll make a specific note.
You're welcome to ring me on 01242 247030, but after tomorrow (Thursday) I'm not in until after Christmas.
Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I may well do that in the new year after a trip to Scotland. At present bike is tucked up nice and warm in my garage as I don't fancy trying this cold stuff in it....

Tom

Just booked up for the May Bikesafe as well :thumb2

Been meaning to do it since passing my test 18 months ago :augie

Advanced Riding

Hi Tom, Six years ago i attened a Bike Safe weekend at Cheltenham Police Station. I was amazed by the observed Ride Out, having ridden Motorcycles for 25 years, the advice given,really helped me get more from my bike and more enjoyment from biking.
I joined the local branch of Rospa Drivers & Riders,which led onto to learning,over a number of weeks,the advanced system of riding a motorcycle, passing the advanced test,then able to attend Roadar ride outs ,all very enjoyable!:cool

X2
a lifetime of riding experience can equal a life time of repeating the sameold mistakes. Knowing some simple 'do nots' can really alter the odds in the bikers favour: examples "don't overtake at junctions, get it done well before orjust after" or "avoid changing gear when very close to a junction"
you may have been OK with not doing these things for your past riding history, but somewhere along the line, the one time you miss a gear lines up with the idiot in the cage who pulls out in front, or turns without seeing you and your not where you want to be.

I think I did a course with Martin pre-bikesafe days, I reckon it was about 1995 and run from Cheltenham plod shop over 3 Sundays.

How much does bikesafe cost? I cannot find this anywhere on the website.

I think I did a course with Martin pre-bikesafe days, I reckon it was about 1995 and run from Cheltenham plod shop over 3 Sundays.

How much does bikesafe cost? I cannot find this anywhere on the website.

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Police-Forces/Gloucestershire/Page/Workshop-Content.aspx

Each Force is free to charge as they see fit. The £20 quoted is what we charge in Gloucestershire, & as you can see includes lunch on both days. Basically, we just try to cover our costs.

Sorted, probably could do with a refresher.

Remind me to drop a few quid in the benevolent fund, £20 is a real bargain.

£50 in South Yorkhire, seems a bit much when some do it for £20.

To be fair, some Forces have to pay for their venue (ours is a fire station & it's free to us) & some Forces "charge" for the officers time at commercial rates.

We, like more than few, end up doing a lot of if "for love, not money".

Fifty quid is still cheap if you cost up commercial training costs.

To be fair, some Forces have to pay for their venue (ours is a fire station & it's free to us) & some Forces "charge" for the officers time at commercial rates.

We, like more than few, end up doing a lot of if "for love, not money".

Fifty quid is still cheap if you cost up commercial training costs.

Just it is easier to justify £20 to the bank manager ;)

Is it frowned upon going to another forces bike safe ?

Back
Top Bottom