Tour de Corse 2011

(RIP) Rivendell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few of us from this parish are heading down to Corsica early in July. If anyone is interested in joining us for all or part of the trip and would like more info including mapsource routes etc. please post or pm me.
A brief summary of the route is:-

After an overnight Ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge ………
Dijon – roads through the French Jura to :-
Annecy – joining the Route des Grande Alpes to:-
Briancon – Col de Bonette, Col de Turini to :-
Menton/Nice – ferry to Calvi and down the coastal road to:-
Ajaccio - 4 days exploring the island - leaving on the Bastia/Livorno ferry
into Pisa and on to:-
Florence – then North to Lake Garda
Riva Del Garda – a few passes inc. Gavia and Stelvio to:-
Naunders – then its back up to the top of Stelvio for the Umbrail and Ofenpass to :-
Arosa – Furka and Grimsel passes to :-
Grindelwald – 2 nights here – (trip up the Eiger or ride out to Lauterbrunnen)
leaving here we are heading up to the Black Forest before bearing left to :-
Colmar and Keysersberg – through the Vosages then head towards the ferry home.

There will be very few motorways, but as a consolation prize there will be approx 43 passes.:D
We are planning on using hotels but if anyone prefers camping it shouldn’t be a problem. The route should be suitable for pillions.
I expect that those who enjoy off-roading will be doing their own thing whilst on Corsica.

As the trip is in July I would prefer to make the some of the bookings prior to leaving. So if you want to join us please confirm before end of January.:thumb2

David

Sounds great A few days riding around Corsica should guarantee the need for a new shock when you get home !

Tempting, very tempting, pm sent :thumb

that looks like a blinding holiday

I worked in Corsica and nothing better than a drive in those mountain roads.

Im very tempted (could also do Sardina):D

Is the crossing from Nice the fast Cat ? or overnight ?

n775702362_1982188_3375.jpg

Sardina

Jim:thumb

Corsica......

Its going to be bloody hot in July....:eek::eek:

Am looking to do a Ride down there with SWMBO, but will prob go early june or early sept. Have been to Corsica many times and have always wanted to take the bike........bring on the West coast road!!!

Watch out for the pigs!

Was there in 2009, fantastic place :thumb

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 739
Dave, Sounds like a great trip, I've done Corsica and want to go back someday......similarly, I've done many of the passes mentioned a couple of years ago ( some we will have ridden together on the infamous Magnum tour ;) ) might be interested in this but it's too early for me to commit as yet, I'll keep an eye on the thread, I would agree regarding the weather and temperatures in July, still-better to be too hot than too cold and soaking wet eh?
Cheers,
Steve.

Rivendell it sounds a great trip, one I`ve been wanting to do for the last couple of years, (inc Sardinia). what sort of time scale (no of days) are you looking at? I`d also be interested in the route (google maps / Mapsource)

But as RichieS states, I`d also prefer to do it in June as I`ll probably be heading down thru portugal to faro, & back up towards Chaves for the rallies there mid July

I did a similar trip last year instead or Corsica I did Elba - It was a hoot - 37 degrees all the way:thumb2

good luck with the planning

Hi Dave..
Just a couple of questions regarding your planned trip??:nenau
Will there be any tunnels on this ride??
How much is the toll??
Will i like it????????:hide
If i run out of hair gel,will it be available in the countrys we will be in??:pullface
Phone signal is a must and i will probably need it most days to phone home and see what day it is???:eek:
Will anyone be throwning there arms around at odd intervals??:augie
Where will we be stopping for BREAKY!!!!:green gri
Will Kev and barney foot the twat twins beer bill again??:ChrisKelly
Petrol stops will be an issue i think .....will you arrange for barney to have his topped up and ready to go at all times//:hug
Prob a few more questions for now but i'll save them till another time..
Cheers :beerjug:
:rob

Lots of :censor: questions there Martin

Hi Dave..
Just a couple of questions regarding your planned trip??:nenau
Will there be any tunnels on this ride??of course there will be. I guess that you meant to ask if it would be dark in them :augie
How much is the toll??expensive for you - we will all bunch up at the barrier
Will i like it????????:hide of course you will :thumb2
If i run out of hair gel,will it be available in the countrys we will be in??:pullfaceYou can refill your panniers in Italy :thumb2
Phone signal is a must and i will probably need it most days to phone home and see what day it is???:eek:I will be taking 2 cans and a length of string as a back up
Will anyone be throwning there arms around at odd intervals??:augie only whilst they are wearing the pointy badge ;)
Where will we be stopping for BREAKY!!!!:green griBreakfast is for wimps - Anywhere! 10am prompt
Will Kev and barney foot the twat twins beer bill again??:ChrisKellyLast time I spoke to Kev he mentioned something about "payback time"
Petrol stops will be an issue i think .....will you arrange for barney to have his topped up and ready to go at all times//:hugI think your MPG is likely to be the biggest issue ( MPG=Miles Per Gel)
Prob a few more questions for now but i'll save them till another time..Thank :censor: for that
Cheers :beerjug:
:rob

Looks awesome Dave,

although the twins will be there, :eek:

I"M IN !

:beerjug:

too right we'll be there, i'm lookin forward to experiencing Sir Lungalot's organisational/logistical skills.

He has promised me the trip of a lifetime, leaving nothing to chance, you know him and his enthusiastic flare, well prepared to lead the way (from the back) pre-booking things, thinking ahead, taking full control, a born leader with such dynamic characteristic's I really haven't seen before!!

can't wait, and sure if we can get steve along we should even be able to muster up a trip sticker between the 2 of us:thumb

myself and twin 2 have even a suggestion of a tour name:aidan

Back
Top Bottom