Sobering Reading...........................

JimmyC

Reaction score
More than 16,000 motorists on sixth provisional licence

By Edel Kennedy

Tuesday December 28 2010

A RECORD 16,200 learner drivers have renewed their provisional licence at least six times after failing or refusing to sit their driving test.

The shocking figures obtained by the Irish Independent show that attempts by Transport Minister Noel Dempsey to clamp down on long-term provisional licence holders have failed, as they continue to flout the law and drive without a qualified driver.

The figures reveal a 184-fold increase since 2003 in the number of learner drivers renewing their provisional licence six or more times.

In 2003, just 79 drivers nationwide renewed their licence six times and nine were on their seventh licence.

But despite tens of millions being spent on major road reforms and education programmes, there are now 16,197 learner drivers who are on their sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth or even 10th provisional licence.

The figures show:

* In 2003, just 88 drivers were on their sixth or seventh licence. None had renewed it eight times or more.
* In 2006, 12,053 were on their sixth licence, and six drivers were on their ninth.
* Today, 1,840 are on their ninth licence.
* Almost 1,000 drivers today have renewed their licence 10 or more times.

New figures also show that the number passing their test has fallen, with a pass rate of less than 50pc. More than half of all drivers who sat their driving test last year failed. While 60,726 passed, a further 65,090 failed, significantly down from the peak of 95,569 passing in 2001.

Risk

This gave a national pass rate of 48.3pc, a drop of more than 5pc on the 2006 rate of 53.6pc.

The figures also show that the pass rate in each centre continues to vary wildly, with those sitting the test in Sligo twice as likely to pass as those in Rathgar, Dublin. A total of 67pc passed their test last year in Sligo compared to 30pc in Rathgar.

Opposition TDs and traffic experts last night warned that provisional licence holders -- who are currently under no obligation to go for even a single driving lesson -- are putting the lives of others at risk.

They also warned that road safety policy is "showing regression rather than progress".

Although the overall number on a provisional licence has fallen by almost 100,000 in the past seven years, the figures highlight a disturbing trend of drivers who are either refusing to sit their test -- or are repeatedly failing it.

The problem has also been exacerbated by a loophole which has been in our system for decades. It means those with a provisional driving licence only need apply to do their test in order to renew their licence -- but they do not need to sit it.

Fines

"The great bulk of drivers are doing the things they should do, like sitting their test shortly after getting their first licence," said Conor Faughnan, public affairs manager with AA Roadwatch.

"But there's obviously a cohort out there who are going without any lessons or tests. And it's a growing number."

A provisional licence must be renewed every two years. If the applicant can only show evidence of having applied for the test, they are given a one-year licence. If they show they sat the test -- and failed -- they get a two-year licence.

This means some people on the road have been driving for more than 20 years without passing their test.

Last year just 945 fines were issued for driving unaccompanied or without L-plates. Only 11 drivers were disqualified, while a handful of others were given a probation order or ordered to contribute to the poor box.

Labour transport spokesman Joe Costello said enforcement is the only solution to drivers repeatedly renewing their licence.

"Without legislation followed by enforcement it's just not going to be effective," he said.

"Gardai don't seem to be taking it seriously.

A new measure introduced on December 6 requires all first-time applicants for a motorbike licence to undergo 16 hours of lessons. Twelve hours of mandatory lessons will apply to all new car licence applicants from April 4.

However the compulsory lessons will only apply to those applying for a licence for the first time and not those who have renewed multiple times.

Sources said compulsory lessons for would "cause a stampede".

- Edel Kennedy

Irish Independent

and they wonder why the standard of driving hasnt got any better in at least 20 years..............

mad

worse than here

The RSA , are playing with your Conscience ,
They have pretty succesfully raised the Barriers to entry
http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Graduated-Driver-Licensing/About-GDL/

In Effect only dedicated people will bother to get a driving licence ,
or find some way around the Current shamble.

Wheres Mag when there is a genuine need for the RSA to see sence.
And dont bother Og , if the best you can do is sing outa the Same
Hyme Sheet ..

I can only imagine how hard its gonnie be to get a Commercial
vehicle driver in a few years , when these Desk jockeys are done
implementing their "Regime".

From my own personal Experiance , The Driver CPC , is a Farce.
An absolute waste of Time money , & resources.
****in Desk Jockeys....

Bureaucracy was forcast to be one of the Casualties of the Recession ,
Its not happening fast enough .. Public servants want their Balls Kicked , or maybe a wee while in the
real word , with no guarenteed Pay cheque or pension..
Just tpo see how the "Doers" in Society do it.

If you aren't driving in accordance with the conditions of your license you're classed as uninsured here. So it's easy for repeat offenders to get enough points to be banned....and if they carry on... to be jailed.
If you are convicted of an offence within a year (I think) of passing your test, you have to take a retest.

Of course, they have to catch them first.

:nenau

If you aren't driving in accordance with the conditions of your license you're classed as uninsured here. So it's easy for repeat offenders to get enough points to be banned....and if they carry on... to be jailed.
If you are convicted of an offence within a year (I think) of passing your test, you have to take a retest.

Of course, they have to catch them first.

:nenau

if you get done twice (meriting points) in a year its bye bye licence and retake test mr k

.....................Wheres Mag when there is a genuine need for the RSA to see sence.
Hyme Sheet ..

****in Desk Jockeys....

Its not happening fast enough .. Public servants want their Balls Kicked , or maybe a wee while in the

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eefPYLgzurg?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eefPYLgzurg?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's frightening reading but we see it on a daily basis in Derry,
Donegal reg cars, trucks, and buses approching a roundabout is the scarest thing you'll ever see. Honestly i back off because theres no telling where they are going or if they might even stop dead which i've seen on several occasions.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eefPYLgzurg?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eefPYLgzurg?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well i spose , what else would ye expect from a Civil servant and a kerry
man ,, A song ! ..
you dissapoint Gearoid.

****in Desk Jockeys....

Question is, what are you going to do about all that?

The RSA , are playing with your Conscience ,
They have pretty succesfully raised the Barriers to entry
http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Graduated-Driver-Licensing/About-GDL/

In Effect only dedicated people will bother to get a driving licence ,
or find some way around the Current shamble.

Wheres Mag when there is a genuine need for the RSA to see sence.
Hyme Sheet ..

****in Desk Jockeys....

RSA is not the problem they are simply implementing EU licence directives.
The problem in this country comes down to a couple of problems.

1. Irish people think they have the right to have a licence and that they shouldn't have to earn it.

2. Up until a couple of years there was no standard for instruction so people who didn't fall into 1 above had no way of knowing who was a good instructor and who wasn't.

And as for your concerns for the requirements for Commercial drivers.....the higher the better. The amount of truck, taxi and bus drivers I have witnessed driving one handed while using the phones, when we had some of the worst conditions I have witnessed in 25 years of driving, was truly scary.
I often wonder when I see bus/taxi drivers behaving like this just how many of them have even thought about the fact that the have other peoples lives in their hands.

At this stage I see only one solution to this......SNIPERS

So what set you off, was it the reference to Donegal or the buses?

Its probably just the fact that he has to spend some time and money to prove wheter or not he is compitent enough to do the job he is employed to do and that he has to put his thick head into some books to study for a 20 question exam which one of his favourite public servants has set for him.
:popcorn:D

So what set you off, was it the reference to Donegal or the buses?

Either / Or
I havent seen any worse driving from people from Donegal than
from anywhere else.
And just as a wee note to you davy , most of the Donegal
registered Commercial Vehicles you see in Derry are Driven by
Derry men and women , Employed by Donegal Men.

And what set me , off , as you so eloquently put it
Was simply , if your gonnie type it , Stand over it ,
dont leave everyone wondering ,who , what your talking about.

Its probably just the fact that he has to spend some time and money to prove wheter or not he is compitent enough to do the job he is employed to do and that he has to put his thick head into some books to study for a 20 question exam which one of his favourite public servants has set for him.
:popcorn:D

I dont have to prove myself to anyone.
If it were a question of having to prove oneself , then there
may well be a relevance . Its of absolutely no relevance
in the real world .. Prescribed by Desk Jockeys for
folk of their mentality .

Youse boys could do wey a dose of reality.

Public servants want their Balls Kicked , or maybe a wee while in the

Trully you are a f**kin ejit.. and It is you who in not in touch with the real world..
We are in the worse recession in the history of the state.. Not only will we taxpayers pay through the nose to get us out of it but our children will and possible our grand children too.
Civil Servants are not to blame for the recession and they only implement the laws that are made by the legislators.. but sure arent they are an easy target for ignorant people like you..

Either / Or
I havent seen any worse driving from people from Donegal than
from anywhere else.
And just as a wee note to you davy , most of the Donegal
registered Commercial Vehicles you see in Derry are Driven by
Derry men and women , Employed by Donegal Men.

And what set me , off , as you so eloquently put it
Was simply , if your gonnie type it , Stand over it ,
dont leave everyone wondering ,who , what your talking about.

That's the funniest thing i've read this year, your wasted doing whatever it is your doing now. you should be writing for the Daily mail, Maggie Thatcher's favourite read.

That's the funniest thing i've read this year, your wasted doing whatever it is your doing now. you should be writing for the Daily mail, Maggie Thatcher's favourite read.

Agreed - like the Mail he makes it up as he goes along - molds it to fit his prejudices & tries to sell it to the gullible as fact. Your right - it is funny.

Back
Top Bottom