Garmin repairs

v8legend

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone had their GPS repaired by anyone other than Garmin? I have a second Garmin (a nuvi) that I use in the car, and it is now unable to see Satellites. Constantly acquiring Satellites. A quick search on the web shows a couple of people doing repairs. Has anyone got any experience of them, or can they recommend someone? Ideally I'd like someone in the South East ish. It's a few years old now, and doesn't get much use, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Has anyone had their GPS repaired by anyone other than Garmin? I have a second Garmin (a nuvi) that I use in the car, and it is now unable to see Satellites. Constantly acquiring Satellites. A quick search on the web shows a couple of people doing repairs. Has anyone got any experience of them, or can they recommend someone? Ideally I'd like someone in the South East ish. It's a few years old now, and doesn't get much use, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Not sure about others, but I've used Garmin's own fixed price service before and it was truly excellent.

Have you tried doing a hard reset...?

What he said ...

Have you tried doing a hard reset...?

... on the base you'll find a little 'point' ringed by the word re-set, press that (use a fine but blunt point) and it will clear everything but it'll start to 'see' again !

... on the base you'll find a little 'point' ringed by the word re-set, press that (use a fine but blunt point) and it will clear everything but it'll start to 'see' again !

It depends which nüvi it is. My 760 & 770 aren't like that. On those you press and hold the lower right hand corner of the screen while switching on the unit.

Have you tried updating the firmware....?

It's fully up to date via myGarmin, including a long update at the weekend. Is there another way of updating the firmware? When you power it up, it starts 'loading maps', then halfway through it says 'updating gps software 0%' then goes back to 'loading maps' without anything downloading?

It's fully up to date via myGarmin, including a long update at the weekend. Is there another way of updating the firmware? When you power it up, it starts 'loading maps', then halfway through it says 'updating gps software 0%' then goes back to 'loading maps' without anything downloading?

I'd try updating the firmware via WebUpdater - http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

What it's doing sounds as if the firmware's corrupt.

I'd try updating the firmware via WebUpdater - http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

What it's doing sounds as if the firmware's corrupt.

Hi Schtum. I've tried that, and just tried it again from your link. No luck I'm afraid. It said I was already up to date, so I decided to re-install. All gone through. There was then some further updates offered (voices etc), one of which was gps chipset. I selected that, and it said finished, although I'm not sure it actually did anything on the last bit? Still no change!!! Not working.

Last edited:
Has anyone had their GPS repaired by anyone other than Garmin? I have a second Garmin (a nuvi) that I use in the car, and it is now unable to see Satellites. Constantly acquiring Satellites. ......It's a few years old now, and doesn't get much use, so I don't want to spend a fortune.

A chum had exactly the same problem with a Zumo 550. It was my old one, that I had sold him. :augie

All fixed by Garmin very quickly and reasonably cheaply.

Engage their services with confidence :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom