iPhone GPS

Invicta Moto

Reaction score
I searched for iPhone and after 10 pages decided to ask!

My wife has an iPhone 3GS and currently uses it in the car with the inbuilt mapping program. It can give directions but not verbally. SO we have been looking for a solution online. Quite a few to choose from and much of a muchness. But very little user evidence to back up claims.

But, has anyone got it loaded on an iPhone and does it work? And what product is it?

I use NAVFREE which is, er, free :)

Used mostly on my pogo when laning but I have used it in the car to test it and, TBH, can not fault it (verbal instructions are very clear).

Given a lot of the other GPS apps are £50ish you may as well buy a cheap dedicated unit at that price if your wife is after verbal routing :nenau

Andres

I use NAVFREE which is, er, free :)

Used mostly on my pogo when laning but I have used it in the car to test it and, TBH, can not fault it (verbal instructions are very clear).

Given a lot of the other GPS apps are £50ish you may as well buy a cheap dedicated unit at that price if your wife is after verbal routing :nenau

Andres

Andres, as she has the phone and it mounts on the front window she was looking for a cheaper solution than a regular satnav.

I'll look for Navfree.

I had a 3g and found the inbuilt GPS chip to be too unreliable with the cheaper/free satnav apps. Bit the bullet and brought the Tom Tom app and car mount which was great, not sure how good the 3gs chip is though

I now have an iPhone 4 and with Tom Tom app and mount it is imho a far superior sat nav than any of the stand alones for a lot less money. The Tom Tom mount not only boosts the GPS signal but acts as a hands free phone and a way of playing your iPhone tunes through the cars speakers.

Navigon works fine, its not free, cant remember what it cost but it still works fine, think I said that already. basically use it as emergency backup and have found it work better than the zumo 660 on the odd occassion (oneway in sheffield)

I splashed out and got the TomTom for my iPhone. Works great. Updates for life and I've always got satnav with me.

Not bothered with the TomTom cradle or anything but with a Cygnette Workman case the phone just stays wherever I put it :thumb

:beerjug:

I have used freenav which was OK, it didn't always find the address. Even in the great metropolis!

I have since downloaded TomTom for the iphone and it works flawlessly so far.

N drive, from the app store is excellent, about £6 for U.K. and Ireland. It fairly hammers the battery life though, so its best if the phone is charging while using this app.

Since I was last on she downloaded http://www.skobbler.co.uk/ from the app store as it had more stars than navfree.

It works really well. She has a cradle fitted to the windscreen anyway for the phone and the wireless do-dah she has for listening to her music through the car stereo.

Skobbler dims the sound of Michael Buble (and no doubt others!) and gives the instructions through the car's stereo.

The only question she has is whether it will work abroad? From a mapping point of view it easily found my friend's address in Brno and plotted the route there.

I think she is worried that in her iPhone handbook is says it uses A-GPS as well as GPS. A-GPS uses the network connection to Orange or whoever it finds across the Channel (And in Dover if you are unlucky!). She has data whilst roaming turned off as matter of course.

As far as I can tell GPS should be good enough in western Europe without needing A-GPS and network connection? Any techies know the answer?

N drive, from the app store is excellent, about £6 for U.K. and Ireland. It fairly hammers the battery life though, so its best if the phone is charging while using this app.

+1 for N drive works really well. Not all the gps apps let you input co-ordinates as destinations. Just incase that is a requirement. (n drive does)

I think she is worried that in her iPhone handbook is says it uses A-GPS as well as GPS. A-GPS uses the network connection to Orange or whoever it finds across the Channel (And in Dover if you are unlucky!). She has data whilst roaming turned off as matter of course.

As far as I can tell GPS should be good enough in western Europe without needing A-GPS and network connection? Any techies know the answer?

gps on its own works perfectly well with the iphone PROVIDING the maps are already on the phone.... some applications download the maps as required.

tomtom does not.

has been tried and tested by removing the sim card.

A-GPS uses network data to workout your location via GPRS, it then downloads a few bits of data so it can work out exactly where the sats should be in relation to your ~1000ft radius, which allows you to obtain a GPS fix quicker.

Reading between the lines, you only need it in crowded areas, or deep valleys where your gps would normally struggle to find the sats on its own

I bought Navigon for the British Isles for £16 about a month ago when they had a special half price offer on. Also got USA East for bargain price of £8 at the same time. The app includes the detailed maps which are downloaded to your iPhone/iPad. Have used it a few times in the car and think that in many ways its better than my Zumo 660.

Using iPhone as a GPS

Does anyone actually use their iphone as a GPS unit on a bike? I haven't looked into it so excuse my ignorance, but is there a cradle made for the iPhone 4 to fit a RAM mount? Is the Tom-Tom App the best one? I'm just thinking about UK use so roaming costs overseas not a concern.

Back
Top Bottom