Falklands Islands Trip and Motorbike Hire...?

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Looking into a trip to the Falkland Islands and was wondering if anyone has any information about hiring a motorbike there?

The trip i'm planning with a friend would involve the usual birdwatching/ wildlife and history but as we're at the early stages of planning has anybody been there recently and have any advice etc.

I read an article a while back in LRO but there must be a few motorbikes out there if not the odd GS! Are there any GS's there.....?

It's a place i've always wanted to visit but it's expensive to get there and if we do I wanted to make the most of my time on the Islands.

What about Ascension Island aswell?

I'll check out the 'Horizons Unlimited' forums and see if anyone has any info there.

FP.:thumb

Not able to help with motorcycle availablity, I've been there a few times and didn't see a single one.

Mind you the last time I was there was two days before the Argies invaded!
Port Stanley may have changed somewhat since then but here's a few pics anyway:)

BTW I could do with talking with you about Iceland:thumb

98095084_JaJJu-XL.jpg

The shopping Mall
98095013_bcSUj-XL-1.jpg

Check out rodeo day unless the health and safety mob have interefered that far away.
98094832_dApHv-XL.jpg

98095551_K9oio-XL.jpg

I spent 4 months there about 20 years ago and 12 hours on two occasions in the last twelve months, but don't remember ever seeing any motorbikes. Plenty of 4x4's and sheep though if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Last time I was in Stanley (2004) you could hire a 4x4 but I can't remember seeing any bikes for hire. There were a few thumpers around town and I even remember seeing a DR Big up at Mount Pleasant Airfield in 1991, but no GS.

If any bikes are available for hire they would probably be looked after by the FIC (Falkland Island Company).

http://www.the-falkland-islands-co.com/contactus/?section=7

Excellent photos and it looks so peaceful then. I was at school during the Falklands war but have always been interested in the history of the place.

I saw the Falklands featured on a travel programme a while back and as a 'farmer' i'd be intersted in the sheep and cattle 'on the islands. I'm guessing It'll be a tough place to make a living farming down there.

I think it'll take a year to get this trip to the Falklands organised. The biggest problem will be fitting work on our farm around the availability of flights from RAF Brize Norton when it's not winter in the Falklands.

I'll PM my number Timolgra if you need any info on Iceland, check out these guys if you think of hiring www.bikingviking.is

The other option is the Smyril Line Norrona ferry from Denmark via The Faroe Isles to Seydisfjordur East Iceland.

Last may I cycled to Eyjafjallayokull volcano when it was still erupting to see the farmers at www.Thorvaldseyri.is then baled out of the ashcloud and cycled the Golden Circle.

Hardest cycling i've ever done.....!

Flights were twice a week, every Sunday and Wednesday when my ex employee did it a year ago. 8 hours to ASI, two hours on the ground 8 hours to MPA. Assuming the wether is ok.

Least bad weather should be around our winter time. Note the "least bad" ;)

Personally I wouldn't bother having spent 8 months of my life there courtesy of the Grey Funnel Line.
I have a cunning plan to use it to house asylum seekers though whilst we decide if they are genuine or not.....

I know it's stating the blindingly obvious, but try contacting the FI Tourist Board .................. and watch out for the off road land mines.:augie

I know it's stating the blindingly obvious, but try contacting the FI Tourist Board .................. and watch out for the off road land mines.:augie

Thanks Old Man the FI tourist Board was the first place I looked for flight information.........!

I found a contact number for the FI motorcycle association aswell:thumb

FP,

I spent 6 months in the FIs back in 2003 and had a great time; oddly enough the Islands still rank amongst my favourite places on the planet and would love to go back.

If you're thinking of riding a bike out there you need to be aware that there is minimal tarmac with some interested obstacles not normally found in the UK..

Stanley_FI-Minesign299.jpg

.....with the bulk of the roads (there are about 4 of them cris crossing West Falkland) being crushed gravel.

IMGP1980.jpg

The remainder are all peat tracks which were great fun to drive on but we had to fit wide mud tires and wheels to the Land Rovers to avoid getting bogged in (most of the time).

Fat tires and guide...

VolunteerPt_IMGP1618482.jpg

Skinny tires no guide....

SanCarlos_IMGP1675247.jpg

Even though I was there during the Falkland summer the wind is pretty ferocious and blows nearly all the time; you also get to experience all 4 seasons in one hour if you're lucky.

Whilst I was there I maintained a website for the family which contains some pics you might be interested in here

Looking into a trip to the Falkland Islands and was wondering if anyone has any information about hiring a motorbike there?

The trip i'm planning with a friend would involve the usual birdwatching/ wildlife and history but as we're at the early stages of planning has anybody been there recently and have any advice etc.

I read an article a while back in LRO but there must be a few motorbikes out there if not the odd GS! Are there any GS's there.....?

It's a place i've always wanted to visit but it's expensive to get there and if we do I wanted to make the most of my time on the Islands.

What about Ascension Island aswell?

I'll check out the 'Horizons Unlimited' forums and see if anyone has any info there.

My first ever ride offroad was on Sea Lion Island, south of East Falkland IIRC. Dunno about hiring but my recollection of the place in early 80s was that trailies like DRs etc were popular with the sheep farmers. Maybe they favour ATBs these days but I'm sure cash is still king if you could contact some owners. Good luck if you manage it and watch out for the Elephant Beer :toungincheek

More excellent information and fantastic photos.

If the farmers are anything like here then it'll be quadbikes for anything to do with sheep and cattle. It's so much easier.

I'm going to get in touch with the 'farmers association' in the Falklands. That way hopefully I can get a good look at some of the livestock and type farming there.

I've learned a lot from farmers in Shetland, The Faroes, Iceland, Norway and Sweden as well as the Western Isles and Skye when i've been touring and farmers are usually keen to speak to other farmers which is always nice............!

Landrovers, quadbikes, sheep and cattle could be a bit of a 'Busmans holiday':thumb

Sounds like a fantastic trip, I'd love to get down there, hope you get a bike sorted.

Bloody great fly fishing to be had in the rivers too, massive seatrout. A girl I used to work with went out some years ago to do ghillie/guide for some company offering angling package holiday, she said the fishing was wonderful. In fact, Alison now holds the FI record seatrout at 22lbs.

Attachments

• 295.jpeg
    295.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 248
Falklands

there is no bike hire in the falklands the place isnt commercial or set up for tourists been under no illusion this is one of the remotest outposts on the planet
i been there several times whilst serving in the RAF it has nice locals good fishing and fab nature but def no bike hire the largest settlement Port Stanley is really only what we over here would consider a rural village
on the upside its the only place i know where you can experience true silence as in no human noises the silence is truly deafening at times
take a fishing rod and a ipod good luck !

Back
Top Bottom