Best Route Bibao to Cherbourg

keith. c.

Planning early Sept trip but as I am a total novice all help and advice appreciated. Would like to take in the Pyranese Mountains enroute and perhaps head back via Bordaux into Normandy. Taking the Wife and have allocated 2 to 3 weeks for the total trip.

All suggestions welcome.

Did exactly that trip two years back over 10 days. Plenty of hotels available no need to book up unless youre going to carcassonne.
we had a few problems trying to find a hotel which was within walking distance of anywhere.

Follow this link for the route I used over the Pyrenees

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=6571

If you want any specific info just send me a PM.

Baz

Taking the Wife and have allocated 2 to 3 weeks for the total trip.

All suggestions welcome. [/B][/QUOTE]

try to take in andorrah .. it's marvellous fer saving you 40% on all the items you wouldn't really have bought anyway! :D :D :D :p :p :p :confused:

As Batman said, take in Andorra & as much of the Pyrenees as possible. Don't be tempted to head for Bordeaux & in to Spain. The N10 dual carraigeway heading south from Bordeaux is straight, flat, featureless & boring - avoid at all costs.

Once in Spain, check out the Picos, just inland. Easily equals the Pyrenees:)

Just a reminder that if you need accomadation near Bilbao then try my mate at www.casazalama.com (see B&B thread for a recommendation:D )

I've done the Bilbao trip a few times and in the end have just taken the Autostrada and the most boring road in the world up to Bordeaux.

If you're not in a hurry look for the Bison-Fute tourist roads in France.

Cheers

Dick

just got back from the pyrenees we spent 6 night in a cottage owned by english bikers they can accomadate up to 12 people at any 1 time .they charge £30 for a double room with breakfast .evening meal £4 each .tea&coffee when ever you want it .only 40 mins from andorra .great for touring the area and the med .and its all english food they serve.anyone need the info let me know .......brian/angie

I would suggest getting a copy of the Michelin red Hotel guide. We have found that 'restaurants with rooms' (as opposed to just 'hotels') therein have provided us with some memorable nights - & often they are less expensive than the hotels.
At that time of year I wouldn't worry too much about booking ahead - just start looking about 5-6 pm & you should be OK.

Look out for roads lined in green on the Michelin maps - they are the best for scenery & often quieter than the alternatives.

Enjoy!

Personally, I would use www.viamichelin.co.uk and type in the guff, choose motorways or not and then look at it's suggestions for hotels along the way. I've used it a few tiomes in France and it has given some ideas, plus it can assist with the route and you don't have to buy too many maps for the local roads....

Back
Top Bottom