Gazetteer of East Anglian Airfields

Bury_Dave

Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only anorak who likes visiting these old locations.

I haven't seen this link posted elsewhere. It's very comprehensive, not my work and a useful companion to any jaunt you might want to make.

http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/publ...tion-sheets/USAAF Airfields Guide and Map.pdf

I particularly recommend Thorpe Abbotts museum and the one at Parham (Framlingham). The latter has a good museum to the Auxiliary Units : groups of local to a particualr region who were to go quite literally underground after the German invasion had passed by and then go on a sabotage an assassination spree (including killing any UK collaborators) until they ran out of luck.

Bassingbourn where the Memphis Bell flew from is also quite good and the ground floor is dedicated to the British occupation of the airfield early in the War. But, as it's on an active British Army base, you need to book your visit in advance.

Happy trails,
Dave

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks very much young Dave.
I'm totally new to this area so these will be some interesting focal points for my little biking bimbles come spring time.

A builder we work for rents several of the Nissan style sheds at Rattlesden field as you approach the runway.
These sheds are still 100% watertight and secure.
In one of them there is a display of photos of one of the american squadrons based there, I know they get a visit everynow and again from ex-servicemen.

I've been past the Parham turn on the A12 hundreds of times now but never been there - roll on spring!:bounce1

Yep Rattlesden has quite a few buildings still in use by the farmer. He's had the land back since the MoD gave it up in the 60's (I think). He's a good guy and once when i took some Yank vets around the region on a tour, we dropped by the airfield and one of his workers rang him and he took us around the airfield. He told me where he lives and said any time i wanted to visit the airfield, just drop by and let him know first and I'd be welcome. The guy who used to own Old Buckenham used to be like that but has sadly passed away. I remember a number of years ago when all the Bloodhound missile sites and building were still about. Ooops, best stop there. I'm sounding like a right anorak !

There is a gliding club that uses the Rattlesden control tower and a section of remaining runway. On a nice warm weekend if you head up there and ask nicely, for a small fee you can get to accompany a pilot in his glider for a flight.

There's a good tower museum in Bury St Edmunds too.

If you call the landowner of Lavenham (John Pawsey), he's usually cool about letting you go on his land unaccompanied. I recall when Lavenham had all it's runways intact back in the mid 70's ........ makes me feel old rather than 'young' !

If either of you gents fancies company on a jaunt, drop me a line. Always nice to ride out with company :)

Parham is a nice diversion from the excellent A1120 Suffolk tourist route which is always a great ride.

Dave

PM Noddy of this Parish - he led an excellent ride out to USAAF Airbases in East Anglia on Remembrance Sunday 2007 - a fine day out.

Back
Top Bottom