nuvi 770 for bike use

Prf

Reaction score
hello all,I would like to use my nuvi 770 on my bike.I know it is a car based unit but I have sourced a mounting kit to allow it fit my ram mount.I intend to power it via the BMW socket to the mini usb input on the unit.There is a plug out on the nuvi for the audio instructions and music.My question is can the nuvi 770 be used with a bluetooth earpiece,?.I have been told by 2 different dealers that it will not work,but I cant see why not,its only a wireless connection and makes no difference if a car or bike sat nav is used.Can anybody shed some light on this, as I suppect its a ploy to get me to buy the bike satnav unit.Thanks for all help.

Background: I own a nuvi 760 which is in my car, a nuvi 770 which lives in SWMBO's car, a BMW Navigator IV which flits between my car and my GS and far too many other GPS devices.

I have used the 770 on a bike. I fitted it in a RAM cradle and used a RAM ball and socket to mount it on a rented GS in San Francisco. You're wise to power it via the USB socket. I originally powered mine via the car power lead and managed to wreck the edge connector on the car mount into which the power lead fits, in the first day and a half of riding in the SF Bay Area.

The bad news is that the nuvi won't pair with a bluetooth headset, it will only pair with a mobile phone. In order to pair to a headset, you need a GPS unit which supports dual pairing such as the Zumo. However, I managed to navigate without any problems without voice prompts, even in the centre of San Francisco and on the freeway.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom