New 5” Garmin car satnav’s

ebbo

Reaction score
The 24xx series with 5” diagonal screen size. Of interest is 1000 waypoints and 100 routes stored on each device. No mention of tracklog, they may well do it, Garmin often don’t say in their blurb. Could be useful on a bike if you cover it with a bag on wet days :D
cf-lg.jpg

The only one I could find on their website was the 2440, however, this only has 10 routes/1000 waypoints which I believe is the same as some of the other less recent Nuvi models. In addition there's no Bluetooth and no Audio out jack.

I have a Nuvi 765T for use in the car and this has 10 routes/1000 waypoints but also has a 3.5mm jack for audio out as well as Bluetooth for both phone and headset though the latter only seems to work with A2DP which I don't have. As many additional routes as you want can be stored on an SD card and imported as you need them. The 10 routes limitation is only what can be displayed in the menu.

Admittedly a bigger screen is nice apart from the fact that it'll flatten the battery quicker.

Tried to get links to work but failed, look for model numbers - nüvi® 2460LMT / 2460LT / 2450LM / 2450

Still showing 100 routes 1000 waypoints

Maps & memory spec for the nüvi® 2450

Attachments

• nuvi_2450.jpg
    nuvi_2450.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 257
Tried to get links to work but failed, look for model numbers - nüvi® 2460LMT / 2460LT / 2450LM / 2450

Still showing 100 routes 1000 waypoints

Maps & memory spec for the nüvi® 2450

Ahhh, OK, couldn't find those through the menus. Bluetooth seems the only audio out option but it's unclear if this will pair with a headset for routing instructions.

My 765T has two BT channels one to pair with a phone the other with headset, though this, it seems, must be A2DP. This isn't a common feature on Nuvis of it's era, not sure about the later models though. This article says "feature Bluetooth for hands-free calling" which seems to imply phone connection only. Having said that they're probably just repeating limited information form a press release.

BTW, not trying to dis' your idea.

Using car sat nav on the bike is a great way to do it on the cheap though there's always the issue of suitability for the job. Main one of the which is water resistance followed by the ability to hook the GPS to an audio solution with the next on the list, in Garmin's case, is the ability to follow specific pre-defined routes.

Waterproofing is OK, just wrap it in a condom, at my age I have no other use for them:D

There shall be a 'non-waterproof' cradle coming along later in August for nuvi 24xx series, RAM-HOL-GA45 and has some added features to allow open access to all electronic ports including audio port, speaker/mic and mini USB .. just so you're aware ;)

Back
Top Bottom