Monte Cassino

RideTheWind

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys. Am planning a run to Monte Cassino. The Cemetry mainly. Any one done this? Any recommendations? I will be camping along the way. Leaving from smog, traffic & car blocked Heathrow. Routes anyone? or just mapsource it? Through Mont Blanc or over? I will have a week at my disposal so I am in no rush. I was planning to go in late feb/ March or is that too early for the snow to be gone? Any suggestions welcomed . Wondering if that last sentence was too open :blast

I reckon you'll be too early for riding the passes so you may have no choice but to go through Mont Blanc. Or down the Rhone Valley or Route Napoleon. I've not done the passes on a bike, let alone at that time of year but i have skied quite a few in March whilst ski touring.

I'd say be flexible, have a couple of choices in mind and check this website to see the webcams on the passes you want to ride to see if they are clear:
http://www.alpineroads.com/

Dave

Cassino

Hi

I'd say that March is too early for most of the passes, so you would be looking at Mont Blanc tunnel (not a bad route in itself) but the weather in Italy, even at the latitude of Cassino might be pretty 'iffy'. I've been in similar parts in mid/late April and its been very wet and cold! Don't forget it's about 1100 miles from the coast of northern France, (Le Havre, where I set out from last time) and if you are going all that way you probably want to take some time in and around Cassino.

Took my father in law their a few years back. Its amazing how it has all been rebuilt after he helped to destroy it . The cemetary is a surreal place to visit especially when he was looking at all the headstones to find his old mates.
Getting a rerun of what it was like in the war and where all the varied forces were brought it all to life and made a very interesting trip.

Cant help with your request though as we flew down to Rome

Cassino

Hi RTW

A group of us visited Cassino on 2009 on a battlefield tour I noticed you said that you were camping, there is a campsite in the centre of Cassino near to the newly revamped WW11 museum I would suggest that you DO NOT stay there our experience was not a nice one the showers/toilets were Filthy and did not appear to be cleaned at anytime during our stay.
And has already been said the high passes are unlikely to be open in Feb/Mar

Norrie

Thanks for the replies guys. I promised someone I would go find a headstone, so will rethink this one. I can have a longer time off work in May and sounds as though the weather will be easier. Thanks for the heads up on the campsite. I will look elsewhere. :thumb

My Dad ...

... went there and didn't like it; weather was awful, February 1944 :augie

I know this is an old thread and all that but thought that anyone wanting to go to Monte Cassino might look in here because of the title and so it seems the right place to mention that 'After The Battle - Then & Now' magazine have released a book on Monte Cassino

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battles-Mon...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314710364&sr=1-1

Not cheap but the wealth of information would make it worth it. Although you'll need a 1200 GSA to carry it. They are normally mighty tomes !

I have the Battle of The Bulge one and it is excellent and even if you don't take it with you, it really helps to make an itinerary of things really worth seeing. (And I'm happy to loan it to anyone who is planning to go to that area).

Dave

Back
Top Bottom