RIDE "THE BEST ROADS ON THE PLANET" FOR A CHILDREN'S CHARITY

brucewayne

Reaction score
For anyone who can spare 2 weeks in late June/early July 2011 this could prove to be the tour of a lifetime, and for a good cause.

I'm organising a group of 10 bikers to ride to the former Russian state of Ukraine to raise funds for the Friends of Chernobyl's Children.
The trip will include France, Italy (Stelvio Pass), Austria, Romania (Transfagarasan Highway), Poland, Ukraine, once we get to Kiev there will be an excursion to the site of Chernobyl and the abandoned town of Pripyat, Belarus, Germany and Holland.

There will be a visit to an orphanage in Gomel and we hope to drop in at the BMW factory in Spandau on the way back, for the full Motorrad production line tour.

I've done this trip before in 2007 and it was amazing, this time around I've added a few "tweaks"

There are 5 places left, you only have to raise £1,000 sponsorhip.
More details here:

www.chernobylchallenge.co.uk

If you want to see what the Transfagarasan Highway looks like try this video and go to 6mins 17s in

Sounds like a great trip and a worthwhile cause. Good luck. If you go in July you could visit BMW Motorad Days in Garmisch, Austria. It seems to be more or less on your route. There are thousands of bikes/bikers not necessarily on BMW's. It is a fantastic place to visit.

thanks for the info :thumb

just checked it out quickly...seems like an organised Alps tour? With quite a price tag? Must have googled bad :blast

thanks for the info :thumb

just checked it out quickly...seems like an organised Alps tour? With quite a price tag? Must have googled bad :blast

No not an organised Alps Tour at all. I only suggested that it is worth visiting as you are practically passing it is a fantastic FREE EVENT paid for by BMW. There is loads to see and do, rideoiuts and entertainement. Would not camp there though, very noisy!

For anyone who can spare 2 weeks in late June/early July 2011 this could prove to be the tour of a lifetime, and for a good cause.

I'm organising a group of 10 bikers to ride to the former Russian state of Ukraine to raise funds for the Friends of Chernobyl's Children.
The trip will include France, Italy (Stelvio Pass), Austria, Romania (Transfagarasan Highway), Poland, Ukraine, once we get to Kiev there will be an excursion to the site of Chernobyl and the abandoned town of Pripyat, Belarus, Germany and Holland.

There will be a visit to an orphanage in Gomel and we hope to drop in at the BMW factory in Spandau on the way back, for the full Motorrad production line tour.

I've done this trip before in 2007 and it was amazing, this time around I've added a few "tweaks"

There are 5 places left, you only have to raise £1,000 sponsorhip.
More details here:

www.chernobylchallenge.co.uk

If you want to see what the Transfagarasan Highway looks like try this video and go to 6mins 17s in

Hi
I would like to do this trip and I am confident that I can gain sufficient, or more, sponsorship. Could you please let me know how I join.
Regards
Bob Barnett

Trip

These dates seem to fit when my boss is away - I need to check the diary on return to work Monday and confirm dates, could you put me down provisionally until then? I will definitely confirm by Tuesday 8th at the latest, if you still have places available. :D

I might be up for this. I have questions... what bikes are the people using/expecting to use as I don't know if my bike will be mismatched. How do you go about getting sponsorship, i've never done anything like that before but would be very interested in having a go.

Hi Arma,

there's a good selection of bikes on the trip as there were in 2007, such as:

GS's
Blackbird
1200RT
CBF1000
F800ST

what have you got?

The sponsorship is not as hard as it might seem, as long as you know a few people ;) Last time I did it mainly with justgiving.com and a link in my work and personal email. After 2 or 3 months this soon added up and I raised over £2000 this way.

Any more questions, just let me know

best

Dave :thumb

I have a G650 X-country. Sounds to me like yours are mostly highway bikes, mine is a... well... GS. I fancy this but I cruise at 60mph, I don't think I could keep up.

I'd tend to agree with you a bit...

we make good progress cruising around 80mph, but that's where we can...I reckon about 50% or less of this trip will mean we can do that?

Last time I did the trip it naturally split into 2 groups after the first day, faster group and a slower group...the slower group we're only ever an hour or 2 behind at the hotel at night.

And you'd have the support truck behind you aswell ;)

Well I can make that speed but it's not comfortable... obviously. Is there already a slower group this time? I may well still be interested. Is there any unmade roads on the journey? I assume not from the bikes going.

These are all new riders so the answer is "I don't know" if there is a small group.

We have IAM and ROSPA people in the group so speeds shouldn't get too silly.
But to make these miles up, you will have to get along some.

As for unmade roads, I'd say very little...though there always the unexpected!
The Blackbird had to deal with a couple of these and it managed.

Ok, there are parts of this trip where a Blackbird would struggle far more than me. I'm definitely interested in this. My bike tops out at 110mph, cruises comfortably at 70 but comes into her own on unmade roads which is what she's set up for. I don't mind catching up but apart from Germany you're not going to be able to travel at 80mph without speeding tickets and on the spot fines... one of the reasons I went with a smaller bike.
I'm going to look into this a bit more. Where are you based? I would love to chat face to face.

WOuld be interested but looks like you have the 10 you need, if you get short pm me!

Back
Top Bottom