Tempted, help needed!

Reggie

OK everyone I need help (OK many have said this before but this time I'm serious).

I currently run an F650GS & love the bike. I've just returned from a 4,400 mile trip around Norway and thought the bike was perfect for me. I've owned it for two years & thought it was a keeper.

However I popped into my local dealer today and was offered an R1200GS for immediate delivery. It appears that someone's ordered it but doens't need it for another three months so the dealers have offered it to me. The colours right (yellow), the spec's right (ABS & wire wheels) so what am I waiting for?

Well I'm only little and even with the low seat in it's lowest setting I can only just touch the ground on tip toes! I think it's a confidence thing more than anything, noting I used to have an R1100S and almost dropped it 7 times but always managed to save it - usually when moving it about garage forecourts etc, so are there any other little people out there that rides a 12GS.

I'm 5ft 5in (on a good day), a 27.5in inside leg and of light build.

Help me make a decision, I have until 10am Monday to decide!

Come on then, what do you reckon?

Regards

Reggie

No Brainer............

.............just buy the fekkin' thing:rolleyes:

You won't regret it for a single moment and you'll have the added satisfaction of having 'jumped the queue'..................

You know it makes sense!!

Cheers

Dutch

i'd get the bike but order the lower seat option - based on your history your going to drop it, and it will probably happen in you first few weeks with the bike when you are getting used to it - not nice.

I picked mine up on Saturday and I've been waiting since January. So grab it with both hands Reggie especially as I have a similar build to you. Yes you have to be aware of cambers etc as you roll to standstill but the bike has such easy slow speed handling that a lot of the time you can avoid feet down anyway.
Done 250 miles since 4pm yesterday.
By the way mines yellow with wires as well (with low seat).

No brainer.

Keep the 650. Buy the Gs1200, then sell it on at an inflated price to someone who doesn't want to wait in the queue. Don't listen to any opininions on this forum (mine included), if you want to change bikes, go ahead, it's you who's going to live with it.
If you do change, I'll give you 500 quid for the F650GS, it's bound to be knackered after that epic slog round Norway :D

You now have 36.5 hours to decide....

hi reggie , dont worry i wont tell anyone on the 'other site' , about your impure thoughts :eek: ,
i think the 1200 is a great looking bike , not ridden one yet but yes i want one , just another 5k to find so its going to be next year at least !
im sure youll make the right decision wotever that might be , perhaps you could let the tyres down abit to get yer it nearer the floor :rolleyes:

:beerjug: mike

How's about developing the first (maybe??) Supermoto 1200?? A pair of smaller wheels could get you an inch or two closer to the ground? Worth a thought??:D

((Anywaysup, when did all those meat pies and pasties add up to "light build"? huh??))

But seriously folks, would smaller wheels be an option? nb If anyone says there'd be a problem with reduced ground clearance then note Reggie's got a lowered 650 and there's only a very few nutters that can keep up with him on the twisty stuff.:grndevil

Reggie said:
OK everyone I need help (OK many have said this before but this time I'm serious).
just touch the ground on tip toes! I think it's a confidence thing more than anything, noting I used to have an R1100S and almost dropped it 7 times but always managed to save it - usually when moving it about garage forecourts etc, so are there any other little people out there that rides a 12GS.
Reggie
Well, I am 186 centimeters (when is the UK going by the accepted standards :) ) which is quite tall by your measurements I guess. The 1200GS for me is a big bike, but it is more easy to handle when parking, moving arround the garage etc than my previous bike, an africa twin. That is because of the boxer engine. the bike get's a better weight distribution. ie it is easier to handle than an inline 4 with the same weight.
Go get it, the R1200GS is an amazing bit of equipment, it's a true beemer, welcome to the azylum.

What! Reggie riding a bike with 'sticky out things'! Whatever next?

Attachments

• reggie.jpg
    reggie.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 920
Blimey! What a big pair of panniers! I had the thought that they may ground when leaning the bike but then I thought that would be a good thing...at least in the snow with outriggers fitted them :)

Reggie said:

I currently run an F650GS & love the bike. I've just returned from a 4,400 mile trip around Norway and thought the bike was perfect for me. I've owned it for two years & thought it was a keeper.

However I popped into my local dealer today and was offered an R1200GS for immediate delivery. It appears that someone's ordered it but doens't need it for another three months so the dealers have offered it to me. The colours right (yellow), the spec's right (ABS & wire wheels) so what am I waiting for?

Well I'm only little and even with the low seat in it's lowest setting I can only just touch the ground on tip toes! I think it's a confidence thing more than anything, noting I used to have an R1100S and almost dropped it 7 times but always managed to save it - usually when moving it about garage forecourts etc, so are there any other little people out there that rides a 12GS.

I'm 5ft 5in (on a good day), a 27.5in inside leg and of light build.

Help me make a decision, I have until 10am Monday to decide!

Come on then, what do you reckon?

Regards

Reggie

Write a list of good and bad points and go with that.
You only have to put one foot down on the ground. If you get use to that, the 1200 will be great.
The 1200 is as light as the 650 Dakar.

So, did you get it or not? If not, I want it :p

Seriously, if you're still thinking about it:
You don't mention that you've ridden one, just that you're concerned? Is that correct? You should of course ride the bike. If you like the riding, then you should get the bike. There are ways of lowering any bike. Cheapest and easiest is adapting to it. Changing the seat is probably least costly modification. Apart from that you can lower the suspension.

Bottom line is; If you like the ride of the bike, getting it set up for you is only a matter of technicalities.

:beerjug:

Come on Reggie - did you buy or not? (Too busy playing out on it I guess and no time to write up the thread:D )

Hi chaps,

well I'm just awaiting the call from Pete and subject to the figures then it's a yes!

I'll let you know once he's rung.

Regards

Reggie

Bu**er (II)

Eh up, Reginald!

Attachments

• 1200reg.jpg
    1200reg.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 308

Back
Top Bottom