May 2011 - Gallipoil

zapada

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Where is the best part to see on the peninsula.

I see there is a crossing from Canakkale straight across to the reserve and another opposite Gallipoli.

I will be travalling up from the South ie Izmir direction.

There are boat crossings to Abide, Eceabat and Gallipoli, which is further up the peninsula. If you're interested in war graves and the like there is a lot to see. My advice, get off at Abide & have a look around there, then head towards Eceabat visit the museum then drive/ride the one way road that takes you along the hilly region giving you a chance to check the war graves. Brilliant road that! Then head towards Anzac Cove for more of the same then you can move on up towards Gallipoli.

I've been to Eceabat a lot (have access to the War Graves Commision cottages) and can't say I've travelled extensively around the region, so you might have others rolling up with much more detailed information.

I'd like to go there one day. I have an unknown relative that was killed in Gallipoli and buried in Hill 10 Cemetery?

STALLEBRASS, WILLIAM, 85, Rogers Street, 8637, Sergeant, 6th Yorks Regiment. Killed in action at Gallipoli 11.11.15. 1914 Star. Buried in Hill 10 Cemetery, Gallipoli, Grave II.G.01

Historical information: The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea. The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 6 August, further troops were put ashore at Suvla, just north of Anzac, and the climax of the campaign came in early August when simultaneous assaults were launched on all three fronts. The aim of the Suvla force had been to quickly secure the sparsely held high ground surrounding the bay and salt lake, but confused landings and indecision caused fatal delays allowing the Turks to reinforce and only a few of the objectives were taken with difficulty. Hill 10, a low isolated mound to the north of the salt lake, was taken by the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers and the 11th Manchesters on the early morning of 7 August 1915. The cemetery was made after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from isolated sites and from the 88th Dressing Station, 89th Dressing Station, Kangaroo Beach, 'B' Beach, 26th CCS and Park Lane cemeteries. There are now 699 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 150 of the burials are unidentified but special memorials commemorate a number of casualties known or believed to be buried among them.

xXx

I'd suggest a similar route to denny, but I'd take the ferry to Eceabat and turn left straight off it. When on the ferry you'll go past the fortifications built as a first point of defence for the penninsular, that's where you'll be heading to if you turn left. Have a look around there, then head in the same direction (denny's right, nice road) and you'll come to the war graves and an enormous memorial. After that just keep on the same road loop back toward and past Eceabat. You'll find lots of signs (brown background, white writing) for Anzac cove just after Eceabat, there's a few other places of interest in the immediate area too, so try to have time. I can't think of much worth seeing in Gallipoli (Gelibolu in Turkish) itself, the penninsular was named after it but that's it really.

If you're heading to Istanbul from there I'm going to suggest you avoid motorways and main roads until you get to Tekirdag, if you can try to follow the coast road. It'll add a few hours to the trip but you'll go through some nice countryside, quiet roads and get a chance to see some of the region.

If you want a beer in Eceabat I suggest you visit The Australian Bar, if it's still there. It's run by a mad Turk who still thinks I owe him a new door after I rode my GS into the bar one night (on the night of Anzac Day, so it was packed) because he wanted me to do a burnout inside the bar....the bike crushed the door threshold. The patch of rubber migfht still be there. That was a good night.

If you have any other questions ask away, as there are quite a few Turkish members on here.

If you want a beer in Eceabat I suggest you visit The Australian Bar, if it's still there. It's run by a mad Turk who still thinks I owe him a new door after I rode my GS into the bar one night (on the night of Anzac Day, so it was packed) because he wanted me to do a burnout inside the bar....the bike crushed the door threshold. The patch of rubber migfht still be there. That was a good night.

That the one just as you turn into Eceabat sort of opposite the petrol station? If it's the same guy then yeah he's still there...had a bit of a run in with him last year :augie

That the one just as you turn into Eceabat sort of opposite the petrol station? If it's the same guy then yeah he's still there...had a bit of a run in with him last year :augie

Yep, that's the one.

Back
Top Bottom