Simmer Dim 2011 - Shetland motorcycle rally

zerocool

Reaction score
Based around the longest day of the year myself and a friend are headed up to Simmer Dim in the Shetland Islands.

June 19th - 21st

Anybody already planned this or fancy joining us are welcome too???

You need to register interest quickly with the simmer dim as they will send out invites at some point in February and the rally is by invite only.

Were planning a good few days, ride up Wednesday or Thursday, either with a stop off or not, arriving Friday, enjoying the sites of Shetland and the rally through to Monday and returning down south again over either a 1er or with a stopoff. If we take 2 days to ride up or back it will allow us to take in some pretty awesome roads en route and will likely include a B&B although the rally will be all camping.

We have 2 GS's, or alternatively for fun we may choose some older bikes, a ex milatary MT350 and a Bonneville. These decisions to be made nearer the dates.

Were more than open to ideas if folk want to join us. Folk can meet us just off the M1 J31 for a beer on a Monday night in the local biker pub (none MC/MCC) to discuss the trip and make sure were not loonies. :thumb

there are 4 of us going at the moment, if there are any UKGSers going we can arrange a meetup and a nice sided group ride up.

Currently 1/2 of our group are GSers

We normally stop around Innerleithen, on the way up to deepest darkest Scotland, it is about 4 to 5 hours run to the ferry at Aberdeen.

Bit expensive but the breakfast is excellent and they usually have room in the garage for bikes http://www.gledeknowe.co.uk

We will be at Innerleithen on the Thursday night for our Orkney run but this time staying in pods.

Also worth calling in the cafe at Rochester on the way up if you get chance. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/291826

2rc0nqv.jpg

My cheques in the post :thumb

Quite a few of us going up from South Yorkshire, gonna make a good trip of it. Got two nieces on Shetland and a brother on Fairisle ;)

Me and Sue (Gracie on here)
Son Pete (Laughing Gas on here)
Son Martyn
Jon (Shaggy on here)
Buckles of this parish

Plus others :thumb
:beerjug:

There is 4 in my party all from Sheffield and area.

Includes 2 GSers. :)

We have a berth for sale of any of your lot need one. £40 return.

Unfortunatly northlink don't seem to accommodate well for odd numbers.

Shetland!

Shetland is Ace but I usually go there in late october early november and it's wild, the weather that is.....! I'd really love to go to Simmer Dim Rally, i've met loads of folk who are involved with it but i'm tied up with farm work in june.

I stay at one of the Shetland Camping Bods the Sail Loft in Voe is good and basic and very handy for the Pier Head Restaurant the food and company is good. The bakery over the road is good for fresh supplies aswell and i'm getting to know a few of the locals now.

Enjoy the Rally........!:thumb

FP.

My son and I are just back from a week's tour of Orkney and Shetland - first time I've been there since 1975. The roads nowadays are an interesting mix of broad, oil-revenue funded two and three lane sweepers and very narrow single-track with swathes of gravel up the middle in the more rural areas.

Recommendations - the food in Scalloway Hotel is very good. The cafe in the Peerie (Shetlandic for "wee" as in "small") Shop in Lerwick worth a visit. The Cancer Research Charity Shop next door does great bargains in Fair Isle knitting to take home for your loved ones. The museum in Lerwick is world-class and certainly worth a visit. I'm sure the music sessions in The Lounge in Lerwick are as good as they ever were but sadly we didn't get to any of those.

I did meet a fascinating guy on the boat who was returning home from his trip to the Rudge Enthusiasts Rally in Gloucestershire on his Rudge-engined, Dresda-framed special. Later in the week he showed us his bike collection, including a couple of Rudges, an Aerial Square Four, a DBD34 Goldie, a Scott Flying Squirrel, a couple of Norton Dominators including one which he's building up for a round-the-world-trip next year, two Ducati Darmahs......

Yep ... we've got us tickets, ferry booked :thumb

Setting off Saturday 11th with Gracie and heading north for a night up in the Borders ... Sunday 10th up to Applecross to meet up with my lad and his partner. Further north Tuesday and then Wednesday down to Aberdeen for the ferry :thumb

Monday after the Simmer Dim fly on to Fairisle for a few days. Brother crofting on Fairisle ... time for a beer with family :friday

Looking forward to meeting you chaps :beerjug:

I have a friend selling his rally ticket and boat ticket to the Simmer dim rally in Shetland in a few weeks time.

He is willing to take a offer, it owes him £150

Lots of beer tokens are included. :D

I'm going along with quite a few others too including a few from this parish, probably 6 GSers in total. Should be a great laugh!

drinks at mine

what day are ya coming up , the dim starts on wed for locals , but if ya here the ya'l be welcome . just remember to book a place in rehab fer when ya get ome .

I've got a ticket for sale if anyone is interested. Would love to go as I had a great time last year, but due to the fecking CSA I cant afford to go this year :(

we will be there Thursday morn toadjam

LG, I may know somebody interested!

How much do you want, and have you booked the ferry or is it just a rally ticket you have?

Zerocool, it's just the rally ticket that I've got. How's £40 sound?

Back
Top Bottom