2011 KTM 690 Enduro R

LiquidLAN

Reaction score
I've got a serious hanckering for one of these at the moment - never saw myself going orange, but they really do seem like a hell of a lot of fun

The thing I'm wondering is just how practical they are for a bit of light touring? The older models had rear grab handles that could be removed and it seemed replaced with pannier rails - great for keeping hard or soft luggage away from what is a very hot pipe.

being KTM, I'm sure there are plenty of after market and power part options, I've read a thread about someone using the Giant Loop Bag, but it seemed to be on something other than the newer R as the pictures seemed to show a set or rear pegs

Anyone out there got a newer one or is it a refer to KTM Forum type task?

Lan, I have ridden with quite a few people with these bikes, and agree they do tick many a box. The only thing I dislike is the steering lock is the worst I have ever seen on a trail type bike.
As for luggage, for sure the Gaint Loop Coyote seems to be what most are using, some without pannier rails and most with.
The rails add a little strength to the rear sub-section (tank) picking up at the lower frame spar toward the footpegs and fixing to the grab rail fixing at the rear of the seat.

To add, other mods that seem to be a must:-
Subframe section screws to main frame upgrade.
Screw type fuel cap.
Front fuel tank kit.
Full length sumpguard with brake cyl protector.
Headlight upgrade.
Akro silencer with baffle (very loud without baffle).

Take a look around this site, they have some nice kit:-
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/store/KTM-690-Enduro-R-SMC

I must admit, I would have one of these bikes if I was looking for a long distance trail bike, but at present my XC has plenty of life left in it, so I'll hang fire on the KTM...... unless!;)

T.

lots of nervious laughter here :D I can see the bill rising already ;) but thank-you for the feed back it is good to get.

at the moment I'm trying to work out if the newer model is worth going for as it doesnt have the rear grab rails so I'm not sure how you'd mount a pannier frame or indeed if you can at all

I think I need to have a serious think about what I'm looking for an why... looking at the list you've got there you're talking about probably £2kish worth of bits on top of the bike price mmmm some of it is nice to have, but its not an extensive list.

out of curiosity what are the Arko pipes line with the baffles? I've got a q pipe on the WR450 and its verging on too noise really for trailing, no-one complains, but I get comments on it. I love the sound of a big thumper, but I know I need to balance that with not being too obnoxious on the trails.

Thanks again for your thoughts Timpo - think I've been seriously bitten by this orange bug, just need to make sure its the right thing to do, but only I can know that bit...

I must admit, I would have one of these bikes if I was looking for a long distance trail bike, but at present my XC has plenty of life left in it, so I'll hang fire on the KTM...... unless!;)

T.

:popcorn

Hi,

There's some great info. on AdvRider.com about the 690's and what they are like for distance.

I have one and its fantastic. Did a fairly length run at the weekend on tarmac on mine and found it great. Quite a bit on motorways.

+1 on what Timpo sugegsted re. Rally Raid Products. I have the Rally Raid Products kit on mine with the taller screen. I can't say what they are like with the stock "screen" on the 690 - fireman on here just got a 2010 model and doesn't have the tall screen, maybe he can comment?

But yeah, great bikes! :bounce1

I saw an earlier 690 Enduro R in the workshops at Premier Bike Didcot and that had the twin saddle fuel tanks and headlight/rally kit ....... it looked the bollocks but the kit was over £1600 :eek:

i'm also seriously thinking about one of these.

Ive got a g450x and a 950se, I'm guessing it will do everything the 950 could, but the extra 30 kilos over the g450x sounds a bit too much, is it suitable for the gnarly stuff and if i drop it halfway up a stone trail could i pick it up ?

i'm also seriously thinking about one of these.

Ive got a g450x and a 950se, I'm guessing it will do everything the 950 could, but the extra 30 kilos over the g450x sounds a bit too much, is it suitable for the gnarly stuff and if i drop it halfway up a stone trail could i pick it up ?

Comparisons wise, I've ridden one of these on a Patsy Quick day and practically it didnt feel any heavier to me than my WR450 it was curtainly no heavier to pick up.

I did find it a bit more complementary to my riding and managed to do stuff on it that I think my WR would have just spat me off on (or rather I'd have spat myself off...)

I'm just umming and ahhhing about the price and how much i'm likely to have to really do to a stock bike. As Nice'n'Fat points out the toys price is extensive...

How about this: ktmteamwest Adventure R:)

The have fixings for paniers...

Cheers,
John

mmmm its hard to tell from the picture but that looks like an older model - I've seen those brackets else where and they secure at the top where the grab handles used to be - the 2011 bike doesnt have the grab rails and apparently its all fuel tank at the back so you can't drill it... there's bound to be a way...

690e

Hi,
I,ve got the 2010e. version
I am 175cm and its the right height for me.
It had on some goodies when I bought it but added a few things

Rally raid bar risers
Adventure spec bash plate with back brake coverage
Gel seat
Handlebar engine plan change over switch.
Akro. I believe the original is like a volcano
Touratech pannier rails
Changed the upper and lower bushes on the rear tank to rally raid products.

No heavier than the old drz and looking forward to getting the knobblies on and chucking it down the lane.

Great fun to ride, lots of oomph. Not buzzy.

cheers clive

Back
Top Bottom