PDA

View Full Version : No electric's

slaphead GSER
03-03-11, 18:50
R1150GS 2002 , Time clock working but nothing else , key in , switch on and nothing , no dash lights nothing at all , battery good , ignition switch ok
HELP !

NeilDD
03-03-11, 19:22
R1150GS 2002 , Time clock working but nothing else , key in , switch on and nothing , no dash lights nothing at all , battery good , ignition switch ok
HELP !

Check the red wire coming out the bottom of the ignition switch.....
Its been posted by Steptoe here many times

slaphead GSER
03-03-11, 19:26
Took the top yoke of suspecting it was the ignition s/w but it tested ok , everything is dead apart from the clock , did a discharge test on the battery and it was ok too !

Steptoe
03-03-11, 20:16
Check the instrument panel multi plug for corrosion and dirty contacts.

It's one of those under the tank up at the front, can't remember which colour plug off the top of my head :rob .

Timolgra
03-03-11, 20:18
Check the instrument panel multi plug for corrosion and dirty contacts.

It's one of those under the tank up at the front, can't remember which colour plug off the top of my head :rob .

I think it's the one on the right:thumb

Kawanor
03-03-11, 20:56
On my GS-A,03,,the green wire was broke,ca.3 cm.from the ignition switch,,inside the plastic-insulated,,????,,And the bike has ride over 150K KM,????..http://www.kawanor.net/2010/05/2010-05-13%20043.JPG It was on/off/on/off,,it was raining,,I was pist off,,but I found it,and fix it..
(sorry for my bad english)

Dazlove
04-03-11, 11:18
Hi Slaphead

It could be the the wiring within the plastic sleeve that goes on the right side of the headstock to the dash.

This loom seems to fill with water and then corrodes the connectors.

I was surprised that there were connectors in mine, but BMW deemed it fit to have a single earth wire from the bike towards the dash and along its length multiple earths are spliced on to it.

On mine I lost the neutral light, then the battery light and finally the ABS light. When I split the plastic sleeve, it was full of water and green mush, the remnants of the connectors.

I checked, cleaned and reconnected the wiring and all was back to normal.

Hope you get it fixed soon

Regards

Dazlove

slaphead GSER
04-03-11, 23:37
This is a mates bike that I look after for him , Will be going to check it out a bit more on Saturday morning , will let you know what it turns out to be ........ if i find the fault !

Aidan1150
04-03-11, 23:42
Hi Slaphead

It could be the the wiring within the plastic sleeve that goes on the right side of the headstock to the dash.

This loom seems to fill with water and then corrodes the connectors.

Steptoe diagnosed the same thing on my bike, over the phone!! A quick and easy repair if this turns out to be the problem. :)

slaphead GSER
10-03-11, 23:17
Just to let you know , a previous owner must have cut into the loom to have a switched something live when the ignition was switched on and this was the problem . It was a crimped joint that the weather had got to , now sorted and good to go again !

Aidan1150
10-03-11, 23:54
Just to let you know , a previous owner must have cut into the loom to have a switched something live when the ignition was switched on and this was the problem . It was a crimped joint that the weather had got to , now sorted and good to go again !

Something simple in the end thankfully Slaphead. Electrics can be a real feckin headache.