1200 Adventure

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had an e-mail from someone I know at BMW(GB) in answer to the question of when is the 1200 Adventure likely to break cover.

As quoted on another thread here, about 3 years.

Bike model life is around five years, the 1150 Adventure has been out for 2 years and will remain in production for another three (presumably to recover as much of the tooling costs as possible).

Pieter De Waal (BMW Motorrad UK Manager) has said that the aim is to launch two new models a year.

Seems likely that a 1200GS Adventure will be seen as a derivative as opposed to a new model in its own right and be bumped down the order in favour of other 1200 twins and fours!

The thing that might spur them on is if a company such as Touratech started producing their own "Adventure" based on the 1200 and if it sold in enough numbers to convince BMW that a factory version had sufficient demand.

I wouldn't have thought they would have had much in the way of tooling costs when starting to produce the ADV, bearing in mind it was a derivative of the standard 1150.

Bob

Bob Southgate said:
I wouldn't have thought they would have had much in the way of tooling costs when starting to produce the ADV, bearing in mind it was a derivative of the standard 1150.

Bob

You're forgetting the really really expensive machine that they must have had to put in Spandau to make that lovely go-faster silver paint on though Bob.

:D

PS I hear a rumour that it does in fact go 'ping'.
:D :D

Fanum said:
You're forgetting the really really expensive machine that they must have had to put in Spandau to make that lovely go-faster silver paint on though Bob

That "expensive" silver paint is the leftovers from when silver was an option on the original 1150's Bill, before they went over to graphitan in 2002.:D :D

Bob

Interesting, I heard it was likely to be July 2005 and this is important to me as I don't like the 1200 and intend to get the latest 1150 adventure that i can just before it ceases to be in production which on these figures will be 2007.

I had thought I might test the water regarding the sale of my current 1150 while its off the road this winter so the validity of this information is important, Is the source reliable or is it just rumour ???

Gotterdammerung said:
Just had an e-mail from someone I know at BMW(GB) in answer to the question of when is the 1200 Adventure likely to break cover.

As quoted on another thread here, about 3 years.

Suits me, I will be looking to repalce my '02 Adv by then. The small tank on the stock 1200 is a waste of time for me and I like the single seat concept and higher riding position on the Adv, which I hope they keep on any 1200 Adv

I was worried about the tank range too, I currently get 200mls to reserve light on on my 1200, mostly dual carriage way 90mph avg, some town (5mls) a fair bit of fuul throttle acceleration on o/takes and off slip roads I am very pleased with the 50+ mpg i'm getting I only got about 42 from my previous GS under similar conditions. I would however jump at an after market bigger tank.

If you want single seat take the pillion seat off.

The 1200 seat height is only 10mm less than th GSA!!

I am a HUGE fan of the looks of the GSA but as one
major magazine said " You know you want a 1200 because you're more concerned about how it works than looks" never a truer word.

The 1200 is also a different beast in the twisties and I can see whats behind me in the mirrors at 85!!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom