Tyre Recommendations for Welsh Mud

biking photographer

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just joined the TRF, and have started riding off road. Last Sunday showed up the limitations of the Chen Shin trail tyres fitted to my XT 225 Serow. The bike exceeded my expecations, but the 2.75/21 and 120/18 fitted spun way too much in the Welsh dirt. Has anyone good reports of an off road tyre for a small light bike like a Serow. Any help would be gratefully welcomed, thanks, Jonathan

The 225/250 Serow has narrow wheels, and I have had some good results with Michelin AC-10 on our 250 Serow.:thumb2
A DOT approved tyre, so road legal.
Available in the small sizes that suit the machines:-

80/100-21front.
100/100-18 rear.

A great tyre in mud, ok with gravel, but not the best with wet rock.
Running with rimlocks, 15-18psi gives good grip.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-ac10

Timpo.

Michelin AC 10's

Hi Timpo, they look perfect for what I want. Thanks for that. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Mods, please feel free to move it.

I had Pirelli Scorpions and Michelin Comp III/IV on my Serow - both excellent

AC10 rear is great but never got on with the front

have been riding all over mountains above the valleys doing trials and enduro, you should try x11 michelins they are the best, lower pressure for off road and re- inflate for road use used a pair of these around the scottish 6 day on a 77 bultaco no problems well worth a try ! ps do you know anybody who does trials as i used to change my tyres every 2 events .

Hi Bobtail, thanks for the recommendation. I am not quite sure what you mean by( ps do you know anybody who does trials as i used to change my tyres every 2 events . ) I am trying to get involved with the TRF who are now trying to be very active in establishing our rights to ride off road before it is too late.
There is a very active scene at the tops of the valleys, supported by websites like VDSR ( Valleys Dual Sports Riders), LFR (Legal Forest Riders), and the recently formed SWWTRF( South West Wales TRF). Good lads, and always looking out for riders to join.

what i mean is any decent clubman , expert trial riders would change their tyres quite often as to keep a edge on the tred of tyre and would sell them off at a resonable price

Like Jonathon, I've recently been on a few trf rides on my Serow and have been told to immediately obtain new (road legal) off-road tyres.
Recommendations that I have found so far are:
Pirelli MT21
Dunlop D606
Metzeler Enduro Sahara
mitas co2

It also seems to be a must that we obtain heavy duty inner tubes.

Although a little old, there's a little write-up about tyres on the Serow forum:
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/serowpages/#tyres

BTW - what's does the extra characters on tyre sizes mean? Eg looking at the spec of the MT21, I have a choice of:
80/90 - 21 M/C 48P
90/90 - 21 M/C 54R

It also seems to be a must that we obtain heavy duty inner tubes.

Unless you want more punctures:thumb

Reduced risk of compression punctures with lower tyre pressures over rocks etc. particularly on the front....carry an ordinary one as your spare:)

Spinning up in mud as the OP mentioned is often down to a combination of technique and the right tyre, a Serrow is very good at finding grip due to the soft power delivery the rest is up to your right hand.

As for the rest, listen to Timpo, he finds grip:thumb

I went to my local off-road bike shop today who highly recommended a pair of AC10's so considering similar opinions, that's what I bought. Timpo's price of £73 delivered is excellent - I paid £80ish for mine, but it meant I had them today for fitting at the weekend.

The only downside is.... no more excuses if I fall off in the mud again :blast

Back
Top Bottom