Cambrian Rally - regulations available

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The CAMBRIAN RALLY is an off-road competition specifically aimed at Trail Bikes, it is run loosely along the lines of a car rally with non-competitive "Liaison" sections linking timed "Special Stages". The event is based in Llandovery and this year is expected to have a single lap each day.
If all goes to plan Saturday’s route will be about 100 miles; about 40 miles out, including a Special Stage of about 2.5 miles, to a 20 mile Special Stage and then on to a refueling point (for both rider and machine) followed by about 40 miles back, retracing the outward route. Sunday’s route will be similar to Saturdays but with the 20 mile Special Stage done twice, making the Sunday route about 120 miles, a weekend of about 220 miles through magnificent scenery and using exhilarating roads and gravel tracks.
The average speed for the whole course is set at 18 mph and there are no "silly" sections. The course is chosen so that it can be ridden using road legal trail tyres on even the largest motorcycle. The route will be set by my good friend Bob Perring on a KTM 950 and me on a 1150GSA, both fitted with standard trail tyres.
The event is open to all fully road legal motorcycles (apart from any form of motocross bike) and is especially suitable for Trail Bikes of all shapes and sizes, the course is unlikely to present any challenge to experienced enduro riders and enduro bikes, but the scenery, the roads and locations will be fantastic.
This format of motorcycle rally provides off-road competition with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, the more experienced riders are always prepared to help newcomers and the emphasis is on enjoyment rather than competition.
A major change this year is that the only part of the course that will be marked with bright day-glow arrows will be the Special Stages, the rest of the route will be by road book. Having to do some “navigating” will add to the adventure of the event and if you do get hopelessly lost there will always be marshals following you around to put you back on course.

This event is extremly popular, in the last few years we have been able to take 350 entries and still had to turn about 200 away, this year we can only take 180 entries so it's going to fill up very quickly (I'd guess within 2 weeks). I have reserved 10 rides for UKGS'ers so make sure UKGS'er is put down as your club on the entry form.

Application forms are available from my web site at www.offroad-motorsport.com

What do you think ?

Sounds like an excellent event, I am a bit concerned about using my gs adv, especially if its wet - I also have an XR400 - any views on what to go for ? (this would be my first rally by the way) -
I am also concerned that the White Brothers exhaust on my XR would be too noisy (It came with the bike) I do have the original but think the previous owner has modded it in some way to make it less restrictive/noisier....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....:beerjug:

Cheers!

Yes you could do it on the XR, but not in the 'trail bike' class (so you wouldn't get a priority entry), and with zero technical challenge on the forest trails, and not much fun on the twisty tarmac bits of the course. :nenau

The whole point of this event, as I see it, is get out there and do it on your road-biased trail bike (the GS in our case). Remember, the course has been set out by Bob on his GSA (not even using knobbly tyres!) to make sure it's not too difficult. So let's enter into the spirit of it and get a good turn out of GSers.

My entry form is in. Go on. You know you want to. :nod

I'll be there

...hopefully as I sent my application in a while ago.
A favour to ask - apparently I need a road book thingy for my bike to take part- does anyone have one that I can borrow please??
I don't want to buy one just for one event - any damage and I'll happily pay for another (not that I damage things you understand).:)

I've been on holiday so apologies for the delay replying.

nelsonkite - as per Ian B's answer, we're trying to encourage more big trailies and less experianced off-roaders, there are plenty of events for enduro bikes, but if your relatively new to offroading then the XR is certainly suitable and youd have a great time. Noise is an issue, if you think it may be too noisy then it probably is!

Henry - sorted, it'll be good to see you again.

Tiffany, and others - you can of course use a road book thingy, and I'm sure many will, but it's not essential. I will be printing the road book routes on A4 paper and sending them out about a week before the event so you can do with them whatever you like to get them into your favourite road book holder, which in my case will simply be the map pocket of my tank bag!

Back
Top Bottom