Why is the side stand on the 525 EXC so crap?

dakarDude

Reaction score
Anyone had a similar cack experience with these?

Now onto my second stand.

At seventy-odd quid a pop, I am seriously cheesed off having to keep replacing these.

I can always tell when its on its way out because the bike starts to gain on the lean angle and there is a slight "creak" when you use the side stand. Most of the time, its on a maintenance stand, but I sometimes commute on it and have to side stand it at work.

Are there after-market stands that have a proven track record?

Thanks all.

Get your broken one welded up an reinforced:thumb...same problem with Husaberg stands.

Get your broken one welded up an reinforced:thumb...same problem with Husaberg stands.

Nice one Timolgra. :thumb2

Its ali though, will that work out OK?

ADVRider has a discussion on stands for the 525's I just spotted, anyone experience of Trailtech stands on their Katooms?

www.trailtech.co.uk

(Part number: 5013-KTM, 5th product down the page, £90.90 though)!

I'd forgotten they're ali, the Berg's are steel but someone like Vern should be able to make your old one bomb proof:thumb

OK, cool. Thanks Timolgra!

When my last one finally "went" I was lucky as I was holding the bike at the time so it didn't keel over after it snapped.

Cannot believe KTM provide such s***e side stands for these.

Also heard the "feet" on the bottom are renowned for coming off.

Amazing bikes, but two issues I find plague them:

1. The side stands - see above
2. The front brakes become weak and spongy really quickly. I use the tie wrap trick to sort this, but what a thing to have to keep doing!

Anyone had a similar cack experience with these?

Now onto my second stand.

At seventy-odd quid a pop, I am seriously cheesed off having to keep replacing these.

I can always tell when its on its way out because the bike starts to gain on the lean angle and there is a slight "creak" when you use the side stand. Most of the time, its on a maintenance stand, but I sometimes commute on it and have to side stand it at work.

Are there after-market stands that have a proven track record?

Thanks all.

If it's the same as the 400EXC I replaced with a Trailtech one which has been fine and was transferred to my current 450 when I upgraded.
Definitely worth doing as originals appear to be made of cheese.

I use a trailtech one on my 450 after I had the original lug re welded at a cost of £35. TT one is good but still a bit long... but its a fair price at £100+ !!!

Jim, all the exc,s that i have had seem to have crap stands like you say, it was always the bolt that snapped though, with ref the front break treat yourself to a piston service kit as the seals perish , just doing one at the moment for a mate of mine. also when servicing the break , put new fluid in from the bottom using a shringe. this pushes the air up and out,
OHHH and dont shake the can of break fluid as you take it off the shelf, i know, i know but i have seen some people do this,
Finally, get it sorted so we can go and do some laning mate.

Cheers matey,

Collecting the little beauty tomorrow from Jono, he's finished servicing it :thumb2 Jono has sorted the front break and other issues with the valves, so it should start much easier now.

Seen a good syringe kit on sale on the web, may invest in one so I can do it myself.

Definitely do some laning soon on it so will give you a shout.

J

Jim, all the exc,s that i have had seem to have crap stands like you say, it was always the bolt that snapped though, with ref the front break treat yourself to a piston service kit as the seals perish , just doing one at the moment for a mate of mine. also when servicing the break , put new fluid in from the bottom using a shringe. this pushes the air up and out,
OHHH and dont shake the can of break fluid as you take it off the shelf, i know, i know but i have seen some people do this,
Finally, get it sorted so we can go and do some laning mate.

Well I finally got round to getting shut of that s**t sidestand on my 525 :thumb2

(It was my second one and was weak as p**s, just like the first - I'd put the stand down and gingerly lean the bike onto it, it was on its last legs after having only had the second stand for a few months, it actually "creaked" like it was straining and was about to give way at any time).

So, that piece of crap is now in the bin and I've fitted a TrailTech. Its awesome, feels sturdy and my Katoom now stands up properly instead of being at 35 degrees :eek

Back
Top Bottom