What colour headers?

Which colour to ceramic coat my headers?

• Kermachrome - shiny metallic!

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Satin Black - stealth mode!

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got me some second-hand headers for my GS and want to have them coated as if I do bother polishing them, they'll only go crappy again.

Kermachrome (shiny metallic, basically) or satin black?

headers_chrome.jpg

headers_satin_black.jpg

Thoughts?

Just leave it to get some patina , at least it shows it's used....

leave as is until JohnyBoxer has used his to see if the coating comes off,like others have. ;)

Yeah I have to say that concerns me - saw the threads - that said the satin/mat black apparently is higher temperature resistant

Have emailed Camcoat to ask.

There is an 1100 floating about. (unless its been written off) that was sold on this forum a fair few.. possibly 4 or 5 years ago that had ceramic coated headers (and link pipe). I don't recall the chap who sold it saying he had had any problems while he owned it.. nor do I recall anyone ever asking on this forum how to repair any damage subsequently. The folder I have the pictures stored in is dated 2007

here's the bike.. maybe the current owner will make himself known and spill the beans on how the finish has borne up over the past few years.

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

There is an 1100 floating about. (unless its been written off) that was sold on this forum a fair few.. possibly 4 or 5 years ago that had ceramic coated headers (and link pipe). I don't recall the chap who sold it saying he had had any problems while he owned it.. nor do I recall anyone ever asking on this forum how to repair any damage subsequently. The folder I have the pictures stored in is dated 2007

here's the bike.. maybe the current owner will make himself known and spill the beans on how the finish has borne up over the past few years.

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

That was Nasty1's old 1100GS - which was originally owned by Trippy:augie

Believe me........... you don't want to resurrect that whole saga:blast

I doubt if anyone is interested in a saga.. just whether or not the ceramic coating lasted.

Beyond that, I for one couldn't care less.

Just spoke to a guy at Camcoat (think he was the same guy I dealt with for my Buell headers - very nice chap)

He says both should be fine. When I suggested someone on the site had had issues with flaking he said that it's more likely a one-off problem, probably something to do with bad keying. Anyhoo, it's not really for me to comment on and without specific details not much he can comment on either - at the end of they day, coating exhausts is what they do day-in, day-out, so I'm inclined to think they probably know what they're doing.

He did say, however that the black ones provide more heat insulation that the Kermachrome, but that either should be fine.

Black, chrome, black, chrome, black, chrome... black...?

Just spoke to a guy at Camcoat (think he was the same guy I dealt with for my Buell headers - very nice chap)

He says both should be fine. When I suggested someone on the site had had issues with flaking he said that it's more likely a one-off problem, probably something to do with bad keying. Anyhoo, it's not really for me to comment on and without specific details not much he can comment on either - at the end of they day, coating exhausts is what they do day-in, day-out, so I'm inclined to think they probably know what they're doing.

He did say, however that the black ones provide more heat insulation that the Kermachrome, but that either should be fine.

Black, chrome, black, chrome, black, chrome... black...?

When I visited, they had 1000s of items - many of the stuff was more than a whole GS would cost for race teams:eek:

They were happy to show and demonstrate all the processes and how they worked - real 'open door' policy and were very helpful, so for £100 I thought it was well worth it

£100 isn't a fortune, most people waste that on tasteless GS tat :augie:rolleyes:

Couldn't' agree more.

Think I'll be going stealth mode!

Black, definately.

Was thinking the same about mine, I'll watch with interest!

Back
Top Bottom