R1100GS usable fuel tank size ?

cxp

Reaction score

simple question…what is the usable tank size on a 1995 R1100GS ?

the manual say's 25 litres, fuel light on at 5 litre

A couple of times recently I have ridden about 20 miles with the fuel light on, but when I have filled the bike up I only put in about 19.5 litres

I always put the bike on its centre stand when filling.

I keep meaning to carry a can of fuel and run the bike until dry.

so, and idea of usable petrol quantity?

so your talking of a difference of 500ml?
Dont worry about it I would say.
BMW might say 25 L, but to what point did they fill the tank, probably not the same as we do?
Petrol pumps are fairly accurate but they are checked independently and have to be calibrated regularly, so can be slightly out.
So in answer to your question, 20 litres to reserve, give or take a bit, (maybe 500ml.)
Why bother carrying a fuel can around, its dangerous and if it leaks inconvenient, and if you find out your tank only holds 24.5 litres....?

Just ride it, when light come on fill it...

I would say its about learning what your bike can do with your riding, when your light comes on if you need to, find that out then only use that info if you need to.

so your talking of a difference of 500ml?
Dont worry about it I would say.
BMW might say 25 L, but to what point did they fill the tank, probably not the same as we do?
Petrol pumps are fairly accurate but they are checked independently and have to be calibrated regularly, so can be slightly out.
So in answer to your question, 20 litres to reserve, give or take a bit, (maybe 500ml.)
Why bother carrying a fuel can around, its dangerous and if it leaks inconvenient, and if you find out your tank only holds 24.5 litres....?

Just ride it, when light come on fill it...

I would say its about learning what your bike can do with your riding, when your light comes on if you need to, find that out then only use that info if you need to.

Wrong side of the bed this morning :rolleyes:

If you do the fuel filler mod, you'll get more juice in the tank in the first place :thumb The pix are of a 1200 but the mod works equally well on the 11/50

If you do the fuel filler mod, you'll get more juice in the tank in the first place :thumb The pix are of a 1200 but the mod works equally well on the 11/50

Both 1100GS's I've owned have pi55ed fuel out of the overflow if you get anywhere over the filler tube level, IF you didn't ride off as soon as you've paid.

Both 1100GS's I've owned have pi55ed fuel out of the overflow if you get anywhere over the filler tube level, IF you didn't ride off as soon as you've paid.

Same here.
However, I fixed this by re-piping the tank internals. I put it down to the filler neck water drain and breather hoses softening with age and loosening on the connections at the filler neck (those annoying BMW crimp type clamps). New hoses and screw type clamps fixed it.

Still haven't bothered drilling the filler neck though... (my plastic tank is a bit bigger anyway ;) )

simple question…what is the usable tank size on a 1995 R1100GS ?

the manual say's 25 litres, fuel light on at 5 litre

A couple of times recently I have ridden about 20 miles with the fuel light on, but when I have filled the bike up I only put in about 19.5 litres

I also have a 95 1100 with plastic tank and have this morning taken it off and drained the fuel out, however, despite my best efforts manipulating the tank in all directions to extract the last 1/2 liter or so it just won't come out.

I guess that means there's about half a liter of un-useable fuel in these tanks.

metal tank leaves over a litre in the left lobe generally when you run out.Lean it all the way over to the right,I mean all the way,then you can use it

Back
Top Bottom