1150 adv cutting out

Anthonypowell

Reaction score
Hi there
I am looking for a bit of advice regarding my BMW 1150 Adv, For no apparent reason after giving the bike a bit of stick and slowing down comming into a large roundabout the thing cut out on me which I hasten to add is rather discorncerting as I have had to put it into neutral and start it up whilst going round. This use to happen before but I thought it had been cured,
Due to the danger this puts me in I will either cure it or sell it but any ideas as to what this might be would be appreciated, Checked all the fault codes and they show all clear, As I said before this time it only happend when giving it some welly which i dont do normally

Many thanks
Tony

No need to put it in neutral... just pull in the clutch! From my limited knowledge there could be lots of reasons... I'd be inclined to give it a good service... rest the fuel mapping thingy, adjust TB's and rest the tps. Then see what happens.

Simple thing to try

Try leaving the fuel cap undone if it stops cutting out tank breather blocked up. also try pulling the wiring harness from the ing switch about, also whats the tick over like?.

Have had TBS done and the engine mapping checked also had the motronic unit looked at, the main problem is not knowing when this is going to happen as the bike can run fine for weeks and this happens, went and done another twenty miles no problem, Tick over is at 1100 and has the normal twin
type uneveness, As I said before this time it only happend when giving some welly, previously it could happen at any time but once again it would do once and be okay for a couple of weeks.

Is it a twin spark model ?

Faulty/failing main coil caps don't register as faults in any software.

Thanks for all the help
Yes it is a 2004 twin spark, is there any way of checking the coils as it seems to happen without warning and this time only after harsh acceleration and comming of the throttle

Thanks for all the help
Yes it is a 2004 twin spark, is there any way of checking the coils as it seems to happen without warning and this time only after harsh acceleration and comming of the throttle

Do a search you can do it by pulling off plug leads details in the font of all wisdom so do a search.

I wouldn't sell the bike on account of a cutting out problem. My 1200 has just been doing exactly the same thing, took it to the dealers for a diagnostic, nothing wrong.

Refilling the fuel tank seemed to fix it (for now), you didn't refuel at Sainsburys in Chichester like I did last Sunday by any chance ?? My bike was fine until I refuelled before the Goodwood ride out. Once the fuel got low, the engine played up hence I suspect water in my fuel tank.

Check the wiring loom from the ignition switch to its connector block at the headstem. Mine used to do exactly the same thing...I replaced the loom and all is good.

Billy

Mine did the exact same, good thrash, then would cut out as I slowed right down. It always started straight away on hitting the start button. The lambda probe was changed and it stopped it. That was 25k ago. Mine is a single spark 1150.

Back
Top Bottom