Steptoe head guards - painting.

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After searching for getting on two years, I've finally got myself a pair of Steptoe head guards. They are used and will need a gentle fettle (the right hand one did its job) and I'm going to paint them. After tidying them up, I'm inclined to just give them a thorough degrease and use Hammerite smooth although I want a matt / satin finish (do they do non-glossy Hammerite?).

So, Steptoe head guard owners - did you paint yours and what did you use?

Smooth Black Hammerite - because of the nature of the casting they dry to a satin sheen

Hammerite smooth satin.

If you haven't used it before, it needs thinner coats and longer between to cure than the gloss black. Don't be too alarmed if it still looks quite glossy for a while, it does cure to satin (eventually).

1037574513_REC33-M.jpg

Thanks chaps - Hammerite smooth satin it is :thumb2

Hello Matt. I wouldn't necesarily go to the expense of Hammerite paint.
'Ordinary' aerosol satin black seemed all the rage with early-adopter / buyers.
Stays on and looks fine. :thumb

Now that these things are officially an appreciating asset / collectors items,
mebbe S/S security fasteners will be called for! :D

So why's that then?....

Dropped the bike before xmas and it pushed the guard into the rocker cover, ten years of H&B crash bars with no problems so will probably refit them.

It's possible the guards are better if the bike goes down at speed and slides without hitting anything but I don't know, thankfully:)

Dropped the bike before xmas and it pushed the guard into the rocker cover, ten years of H&B crash bars with no problems so will probably refit them.

It's possible the guards are better if the bike goes down at speed and slides without hitting anything but I don't know, thankfully:)

Ahh, I see....

If anyone is interested in selling I'm after a pair so drop me a PM. Either a set of these or H&B engine bars.

Rustoleum for me straight on no need for primer, the satin sheen looks the bizz.

Dropped the bike before xmas and it pushed the guard into the rocker cover
I considered that possibility when fitting mine, so I made certain that the rubber strips were strategically placed and then adjusted the fit (by opening the mounting holes a little) to leave the guards tight up against the valve-covers.

head guards

Any idea when st.eptoe is banging out some more?
shall we start a queue thread?

I considered that possibility when fitting mine, so I made certain that the rubber strips were strategically placed and then adjusted the fit (by opening the mounting holes a little) to leave the guards tight up against the valve-covers.

Is the right answer - that's exactly what I did :thumb2

Mike - your bikes looking good :thumb

I also notice your pannier stickers are placed to the nearest micron:D

Back
Top Bottom