gear indicator not correct?

Styve100

Reaction score
HI All,
just got 04 1150GS back togather afer a major tart up.
Jobs done;
front engine plate repained off bike, exhaust off, cleaned etc, did wsh parts of engine and gearbox with a sash brush and parts washer fluid from a parts wash bath.
Did have a frozen RID a few months ago, seemed it was moisture after a pressure wash.
Just got bike running tonight, but RID shows, 1st in neutral, 1st in 1st, 3rd in 2nd, 4th in 3rd and so on.
Did take all connectors off when tank was off, tried cleaning the RID connector, there was corrosion and sprayed some wurth blue battery post conditioner on the pins, now I have this problem?
any ideas.
Looked at other posts on RID's but this has happened during my work so dont think its the gearbox switch unless I have got parts wash fluid in it?

Mines had 3 gearbox switches, always been a problem of damp in them. in the end I filled the last new one with contact grease and then siliconed the cover on. So far this one has lasted 4 years .

It was the gear box switch, also managed to take it apart. inside are 3 sprung contacts, gave it a clean etc, I think one of the springs was bound. Put back together, turned with a screwdriver with ignition on and saw all the gear numbers come up, neutral light going on and off. Put in to correct position and put back on bike, all is ok now, fantastic. :):):):):):)

How did you get the switch off? Mines playing up and the Haynes manual starts off by saying "remove the swingarm."

Haven't had a look at it yet as it only started playing up a couple of days ago and I haven't had time to get on my hands and knees yet................

How did you get the switch off? Mines playing up and the Haynes manual starts off by saying "remove the swingarm."

Haven't had a look at it yet as it only started playing up a couple of days ago and I haven't had time to get on my hands and knees yet................

pair of long grips. Squeeze the two ends of the clip holding the switch in place and remove it.

To replace, use a small cable tie to hold/squeeze the two ends of the securing clips together, fit in place, cut cable tie.

Just thought I would add, if you think you switch is US it won't matter if you bust it, but you won't be able to start the bike unless you get the neutral showing, you can pop the top off whilst the switch is in position, watch out for the three contacts, it's probably easier to get the body out then.
Once cleaned up, pop the top back on and rotate the back of the switch to see all the numbers come up on display, note the position of the shaft, rotate the swit h back to suit then pop back on the bike, that's how I did it, I had no even numbers showing, even 0.

I was cruising along in 8th today.

Is my switch faulty, or has someone sneeked in a few extra cogs:confused:

If you have trouble with the gear indicator, if you go to this link
http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11gearposswitch.shtml

It shows you what wires connect together to give each gear indication. You can remove the plug and then just short out the relevant wires, if the gear indicates correctly you know its the switch, if not then the wiring or the display is suspect.

You can also check the output of the switch using a multimeter on low ohms scale in each gear, will point you to the faulty contact within the switch, if faulty.

Back
Top Bottom