PDA

View Full Version : Engine Knocking

red rocket
17-03-11, 09:16
I went to take the bike for an MOT yesterday it'd been stood up for about 4 months with the odd start up and a run of 20 miles a couple of weeks ago.So old petrol in tank.
Bike started & runs ok as I'm pulling away I get a terrible knocking noise almost big end drrrrrr if you know what I mean its ok on tick over but again each time under load terrible knocking again I then look behind and loads of smoke now it never smokes .Anyway gave it some revs smoke cleared bike stopped knocking & went fine for MOT (passed).
Now what about this theory an injector sticking pumping in loads of fuel & causing the knocking.Maybe Old fuel bunging up an injector then cleared .Maybe injector cleaner additive may help .I'm just glad this noise was in my drive and not 500 miles from home.

Has anyone experienced similar

2000 1150gs 21,000 miles

Cheers
R.R.

Steptoe
17-03-11, 09:31
My own GS has stood for over a year with the old petrol in the tank and starts and runs without any drama.

I recently bought a bike that had stood for 5 years and it also started up and run with the 5 year old fuel without any problem.

MarkShelley
17-03-11, 10:38
My own GS has stood for over a year with the old petrol in the tank and starts and runs without any drama.

I recently bought a bike that had stood for 5 years and it also started up and run with the 5 year old fuel without any problem.

I have NEVER had a problem with `old` fuel. Just last weekend I took my CBR1000F out for its first ride since September and it ran like a sewing machine as usual.

red rocket
17-03-11, 13:00
Ok maybe not a fuel age related problem although unleaded is supposed to go off more quickly than the old stuff but I remember when working as a fitter 25 years ago a diesel motor came in with a terrible knock it was an injector fault just wondered if any one had experienced similar with a gs

hairyhippy
17-03-11, 17:46
Mine sounded very clattery under load prior to a service recently. It turned out, much to my embarrassment that it had hardly any oil in it. I was very lucky to get away with it. I hope yours has plenty of oil in.

red rocket
17-03-11, 18:00
Yes oil level fine probably uses less than any I've had.
Took it out today was fine gave it a 120 mph blatt still fine so buggered if I know thanks any ways guys

robc
17-03-11, 18:14
Mice nesting in the jugs.

argos
17-03-11, 23:53
did you leave it sat on the sidestand?if so knackered seal,cheers

littleredrooster
18-03-11, 00:04
did you leave it sat on the sidestand?if so knackered seal,cheers

Explanation? Which seal?

argos
18-03-11, 00:08
valve guide oil seal,cheers or it was over filled with oil and slipped past rings ,just a suggestion.only takes a couple of CCs and puts compression far too high,burns off,end of problem