PDA

View Full Version : Red Triangle Showing - What to do ?

flytoolow
18-03-11, 10:38
Hi,

At the end of last year I got stuck in a real heavy thunderstorm - Bike (03 1150GSA) was outside in the open all night.

The next morning the Red Triangle alluminated intermitently for about the next 8 hours down to Monaco.

I figured it was just a damp connection - ABS seemingly fine, and placed the bike in the Garage for the winter

However, Ive just taken the Bike out for the first run of the year and now its always on...

All my manuals are in German - So Im not sure what to do ? Is it brake fluid level? Dodgy connection ( I did fiddle in the dash last year for lights etc ...maybe its that ?)...Or could it be a damned expensive ABS problem ? ABS lights are acting normally....

Before I start stripping it all down...any suggestions where to focus ?

Cheers

F2L

ianboydsnr
18-03-11, 10:42
try changing the brake light bulb, I know it looks like it still works, but do that first :augie

AberdeenAngus
18-03-11, 10:43
Have you tried searching the web for a copy of your manual in English ?

flytoolow
18-03-11, 10:44
Just been searching this forum (great stuff...) ..should of done it before I posted a new thread..:augie

Seems the Red Triangle may be a problem with the tail lights ?

I did mess back there last year when I installed some panier mounts...

I will double check tonight....

gabriel_gs
18-03-11, 12:48
yeah, it could be your brake light.

When you check to see if it's working, take off the red plastic lens and press the brake, making sure both of the bulbs filaments are working.

If one is not, then you need a new bulb

Without taking off the red lens your brake might look like it's working fine, but actually your tail light filament takes over from a broken brake light filament as a failsafe measure.

Greg Masters
18-03-11, 13:19
Check your brake light isn't permanently on.

Greg

DollyRocket
19-03-11, 07:44
I had exactly identical problem. (assuming you have a servo bike).

Take out ABS relay. Put back in ABS relay.

Problem gone.

It was because the relay was not fully home and so it kept buggering up the abs system over every road bump. The servo brakes continued to work throughout without any problems.

Udders
19-03-11, 09:49
It's terminally fecked! I'll give you 150 for it. :augie

davegs
19-03-11, 09:54
I'll make it 155.00

flytoolow
19-03-11, 17:18
Take out ABS relay. Put back in ABS relay.

...Great! Thanks...

...Errr wheres the relay again...:nenau

Uncle Rob
19-03-11, 18:17
fuse box-under your seat

flytoolow
20-03-11, 11:22
Just re-seated all the fuses...

No Change...

I figure Ill have to replace the fuse...

Steptoe
20-03-11, 11:30
Have you checked the brake fluid level in the servo reservours ?

flytoolow
20-03-11, 17:47
Have you checked the brake fluid level in the servo reservours ?

Hmmm...Not yet.

Will keep you posted...

flytoolow
27-03-11, 10:04
Checked fluid level in front and rear.

Rear was at minimum. Topped it up. No change
:nenau

Udders
27-03-11, 10:18
Last offer......160. :D

DollyRocket
28-03-11, 20:36
Have you checked the reservoirs in the servo, rather than the reservoirs on the levers/pedal?

Check that all connectors aren't corroded, perhaps trace the wires back from each microswitch to the plugs and then disconnect and reconnect.

According to the manual !!!:rob, If you have iABS (the one around 2003 with the servo) the Gen light being ON and the ABS light being off suggests a faulty brake light or tail light.

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Mike O
29-03-11, 05:47
When the 1150 rear light filament burns out, the brake light comes on at half-ish intensity to ensure that you still have a light at the rear. The brake light will also continue to work as normal, so the only indication you have of the failure is the red triangle warning light.

Try taking the red cover off the rearlight and making sure that both filaments are still working (as someone mentioned earlier) - that's where I'd put my money...

Mike:)

Steptoe
29-03-11, 07:34
Checked fluid level in front and rear.

Rear was at minimum. Topped it up. No change
:nenau

I wasn't talking about the master cylinders, i meant in the servo reservours, under the fuel tank.

flytoolow
04-05-11, 18:31
I wasn't talking about the master cylinders, i meant in the servo reservours, under the fuel tank.

I guess this means the tank has to come off...I just filled it this weekend:blast

flytoolow
04-05-11, 18:32
When the 1150 rear light filament burns out, the brake light comes on at half-ish intensity to ensure that you still have a light at the rear. The brake light will also continue to work as normal, so the only indication you have of the failure is the red triangle warning light.

Try taking the red cover off the rearlight and making sure that both filaments are still working (as someone mentioned earlier) - that's where I'd put my money...

...Ill do that first before taking the tank off...easiest option....

Cool

flytoolow
04-05-11, 18:41

Give that man a Cigar! Top Banana! Just checked the rear light - works as "normal" BUT when removing the rear red case - one of the filaments has blown..

Have a beer on me! :jager:beer:

Great Job! :aidan:aidan :bounce1 :bounce1