PDA

View Full Version : oil filter !!!!!!

hamish
18-03-11, 19:12
How do you remove oil filter ,with the special tool a even when the filter will not budge?

Steptoe
18-03-11, 19:14
Wrap some wet & dry or sandpaper around the inside of the removal tool and hit it onto the oil filter.

This will grip and allow you to exert enough pressure on a long bar to undo the tightest filter.

ghiribizzo
18-03-11, 19:15
Try slightly tightening/loosening it back and forth before unscrewing. Make sure it is the correct 'special tool'...

davegs
18-03-11, 22:40
When you put it back DON'T do it up too tight, just nip it up as you'll be back to square one when the next oil change is due.

patzx12
19-03-11, 00:02
I had that, it would not budge resorted to removing the exhaust and taking a chisel to it.

warmshed
19-03-11, 00:29
Wouldn't put any abrasive paper near an engine oil filter, imagine if just a couple of grains got to the wrong place. Some people drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter removal tool, If you drive a couple of nails through the holes and into the filter it will do the trick. Obviously make sure the holes don't have any burrs on them. I believe there are some photos of it on IBMWr.org

patzx12
19-03-11, 00:34
Wouldn't put any sand paper near an engine oil filter, imagine if just a couple of grains got to the wrong place. Some people drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter removal tool, If you drive a couple of nails through the holes and into the filter it will do the trick. Obviously make sure the holes dont have any burrs on them. I believe thee are some photos of it on IBMWr.org

Great idea, this will work

cookie
19-03-11, 05:07
The oil filter being situated where it is, has probably already been exposed to the odd bit of grit.

davegs
19-03-11, 09:51
Or self tapping screws are best as it's easy to remove the tool afterwards.

Steptoe
19-03-11, 11:42
Wouldn't put any abrasive paper near an engine oil filter, imagine if just a couple of grains got to the wrong place. Some people drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter removal tool, If you drive a couple of nails through the holes and into the filter it will do the trick.

Are you sure, you haven't given that much thought :D most of the filters are covered in all sorts of mud and muck anyway being stuck underneth the engine :D

A strip of wet and dry always works -try a search and see all the past results.

The last thing you want to do is make holes in the filter. If the body tears off your stuck and going nowhere.

The oil filter being situated where it is, has probably already been exposed to the odd bit of grit. ;)

STUBBS
19-03-11, 12:58
the wet and dry trick has always worked for me :thumb2
thanks to the tip from somebody :steptoe thats taking filters off regularly:augie:augie

warmshed
19-03-11, 15:15
Or self tapping screws are best as it's easy to remove the tool afterwards.

Yes, much better to use a pair of self tapping screws.

davegs
19-03-11, 17:47
Yes, much better to use a pair of self tapping screws.

Got that tip from a dealer!, never had a prob myself, never change it!.

The Sea Dog
19-03-11, 18:54
and just what do you think the filter gets sprayed and covered by, day in day and day out on the road, or do you just ride clan fresh swept roads ?

As for driving nails through, great idea, then what happens if it tears the body of the filter and you now cant get any purchase on it because it collapses on itself due to the external structure being weakened

:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

Wouldn't put any abrasive paper near an engine oil filter, imagine if just a couple of grains got to the wrong place. Some people drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the filter removal tool, If you drive a couple of nails through the holes and into the filter it will do the trick. Obviously make sure the holes don't have any burrs on them. I believe there are some photos of it on IBMWr.org

bowser
19-03-11, 20:53
not wishing to teach my granny to suck eggs, but? have you made sure you have the right tool for the right filter?

I have a standard BMW filter in my bike it has the filter with the flats on, however when I bought my bike second hand it came with a filter and tool spare, that one is very different the filter looks round with small grooves running along its length and it needs a completely different wrench to remove it as it has no flats at all.

Ash
19-03-11, 21:47
not wishing to teach my granny to suck eggs, but? have you made sure you have the right tool for the right filter?

I have a standard BMW filter in my bike it has the filter with the flats on, however when I bought my bike second hand it came with a filter and tool spare, that one is very different the filter looks round with small grooves running along its length and it needs a completely different wrench to remove it as it has no flats at all.

Not easy to see in ta hole lad ;) :D
PS
I would imagine Niel [Steptoe] must think to himself - why the feck do i bother,when he offers the best knowledge money cant buy,to solve / assist with the question.
When some dismiss his advice. :blast

davegs
20-03-11, 08:46
All this waffel could have done six oil changes in the same time!. Moto Bins
filters come with 5their own tool as the filters are slightly smaller than the std BMW and std tool will NOT fit.

Steptoe
20-03-11, 09:49
Not easy to see in ta hole lad ;) :D
PS
I would imagine Niel [Steptoe] must think to himself - why the feck do i bother,when he offers the best knowledge money cant buy,to solve / assist with the question.
When some dismiss his advice. :blast

Because they've never had the job of removing a filter where someone had screwed into it and torn the filter body off.
Not had one in for a couple of years now, but they used to turn up every other month, especially back in the day when the K series was popular with despatch riders .

Of course, not forgetting that once you've punctured the filter and it goes pete tong you can't ride the bike anywhere for some poor sod to get you out of the shite. :blast.

hamish
20-03-11, 16:34
thanks guys,i'm going to try steptoe's first ,then cry if that does'nt work,

MattW
20-03-11, 16:37
thanks guys,i'm going to try steptoe's first ,then cry if that does'nt work,

It will work - it did for me.
I'd guess Steptoe has changed more oil filters than the rest of us put together - he knows what he's on about.