Best glue for glueing bash plate rubber spacer to bash plate?

dakarDude

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a new bash plate for my 690R.

It was in ali and I decider to powder coat it in black, which came back looking really good.

Before it went to get coated I removed the inner rubber spacer from the plate (had to fair pull at it as it was glued to the plate).

Now its back, I want to re-secure the rubber spacer.

BUT, I am struggling to find a decent glue that will do the job - my first attempt lasted about 3 hours and the rubber spacer has come away from the plate already (heat seems to have gotten the better of it). :eek

Anyway, what are you guys using? It needs to be resilient against water / rain and heat but be a good sticker!

Cheers :thumb2

Try Tec 7 It really does do what it say on the Tube BUT don;t wet your finger to smooth it cos it'll stick to it like schit to a wotsit!

http://novatech.eu/index.php?st=products&prodkey=tec7&taal=en

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Cheers matey!

Was just looking at Adheseal buts its top temp. is 100, so I think that is no good? Will check out Tec 7 now! Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADHESEAL-BLACK-SUPERSEALANT-50ml-SHOURAI-KOI-AND-POND-/220748866643?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&hash=item3365a86453

Araldite - and don't get the 'rapid' stuff either. Go for the old fashioned full-fat type.

You could glue two battleships together with that stuff !

Make sure both sides are clean and roughened.

Araldite - and don't get the 'rapid' stuff either. Go for the old fashioned full-fat type.

You could glue two battleships together with that stuff !

Make sure both sides are clean and roughened.

Cheers Angus! I've got some of this Tec7 on order as of tonight, will post how it goes. I've got Araldite in the house somewhere, I can imagine it being ok in watery environments, but would that be good in the heat that will get generated under the engine?

OK, Tec7 used tonight to re-stick the spacer down and so far, so good! :thumb2

This Tec7 stuff seems bloody powerful!

..but not powerful enough.

One nights test riding and its worked loose! :confused:

Araldite me thinks.....

Araldite will break loose as it is rigid I have used tec 7 to do some funky stuff with You may have had too thin a coating and aslo how long did you leave it to cure??

..but not powerful enough.

One nights test riding and its worked loose! :confused:

Araldite me thinks.....

Araldite will break loose as it is rigid I have used tec 7 to do some funky stuff with You may have had too thin a coating and aslo how long did you leave it to cure??

Hi Jaythro,

I left it overnight. Put what seemed to be a fairly liberal amount on (several blobs up and down the spacer).

Will give it another go Sunday.

Cheers.

Rather afraid you're gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another :nenau

You might think you've glued it but it'll let you down ... probably when you least want it. They're not that expensive, d'ya wanna borrow a couple of bob?
:beerjug:

Edit ... just re-read, thought it was a rubber mount that was bolted on, but the rubber 'bonded' to the mounting. But I guess a new one would come with the adhesive pad?

Rather afraid you're gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another :nenau

You might think you've glued it but it'll let you down ... probably when you least want it. They're not that expensive, d'ya wanna borrow a couple of bob?

Edit ... just re-read, thought it was a rubber mount that was bolted on, but the rubber 'bonded' to the mounting. But I guess a new one would come with the adhesive pad?

I'm wondering if roughing up where I put the sealant / glue would be an idea? Maybe it isn't bonding to the powder coat?

Purchase another? Er not really an option, it was nearly 300 quid :-;

Tech 7 and clean both surfaces this time and be liberal with it Use a line of adhesive along the line of the rubber and make it at least 5mm thick!

I'm wondering if roughing up where I put the sealant / glue would be an idea? Maybe it isn't bonding to the powder coat?

Purchase another? Er not really an option, it was nearly 300 quid :-;

How much :eek:

Aint the rubber available as a separate part?

How much :eek:

Aint the rubber available as a separate part?

I could probably get the rubber bit separately if really needed.

I redid it all last night, this time though, I have not installed the plate back on the bike yet.

I used several good 5mm+ blobs of Ret7 (6 blobs in all in strategic spots on the plate). Then I have pressed it all down hard in the right place and then piled 3 big boxes of shotgun cartridges onto the top of it all to make sure it bonds with the extra weight on top. I left it overnight last night and will check later how well its worked before re-installing it on the bike. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom