Thames Valley Police Safer Rider

OscarIndia

Reaction score
Any Tossers done this day yet? Heard pretty good reports but hard to pin down an actual review/write-up.
And whilst we're on the subject - what's the genera; view on advanced riding quals/training out in Oxon or nearby/ Anything good?

Any Tossers done this day yet? Heard pretty good reports but hard to pin down an actual review/write-up.
And whilst we're on the subject - what's the genera; view on advanced riding quals/training out in Oxon or nearby/ Anything good?

We get a fair number of Oxon riders coming to Gloucestershire BikeSafe

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Police-Forces/Gloucestershire.aspx

Regards,
Pc 520 Martyn Hillier,
BikeSafe Co-ordinator, Gloucestershire Constabulary,
Operations Centre, Bamfurlong Lane,
Cheltenham, Glos GL51 6ST
Tel direct dial 01242 (24) 7028 or ANPR office (24) 7030.

not done this particular course, but if you want to meet an enthusiastic & friendly group of folks involved in 'advanced riding' then http://www.tvam.org.uk/ may be of interest.

I'm not going to get into the debate about which organisation is best, or who are a bunch of old pipe wearing, slipper smoking fuddy duddies. All I will say was I expected them to be boring and old fashioned, and they weren't.

There may be a group (IAM) closer to you, but this lot are pretty friendly and forward looking.

not done this particular course, but if you want to meet an enthusiastic & friendly group of folks involved in 'advanced riding' then http://www.tvam.org.uk/ may be of interest.

I'm not going to get into the debate about which organisation is best, or who are a bunch of old pipe wearing, slipper smoking fuddy duddies. All I will say was I expected them to be boring and old fashioned, and they weren't.

There may be a group (IAM) closer to you, but this lot are pretty friendly and forward looking.

If you do the BikeSafe element first, you will find it gets you off to a good start if you later decide to go down the IAM or RoSPA route.

Cheers Thauma. I have no time for that "they're all old biffers" crap either. One of my best mates is a journo on SuperBike, he went on an IAM course and got a fella with a beard and a Pan (really) who annoyed the crap out of him all day but, to be fair, could ride. Finally they had a row and my mate shouted "What did you do before this? Watch the Bill on DVD all day?!". To which the bloke replied: "No, actually I spent 12 years as a race instructor at the Nurburgring".
They got on better after that.

Cheers Thauma. I have no time for that "they're all old biffers" crap either. One of my best mates is a journo on SuperBike, he went on an IAM course and got a fella with a beard and a Pan (really) who annoyed the crap out of him all day but, to be fair, could ride. Finally they had a row and my mate shouted "What did you do before this? Watch the Bill on DVD all day?!". To which the bloke replied: "No, actually I spent 12 years as a race instructor at the Nurburgring".
They got on better after that.

I don't think Thames Valley Police participate in the Bike Safe scheme :blast

The Oxford IAM Group may be an option for you...

http://www.iam-oxford.org.uk/

I'm involved with the Motorcycle section, they're a friendly bunch with group ride-out's and advanced training and test preparation , if that's what your after..:cool:

Thomo, cheers. TVP run their own thing, called Safer Rider. Not sure what the difference is.
I called the Oxford IAM group last year and spoke to a guy. Nobody ever bothered to call me back, so I left it alone. Perhaps I'll have another go.

I don't think Thames Valley Police participate in the Bike Safe scheme :blast

The Oxford IAM Group may be an option for you...

http://www.iam-oxford.org.uk/

I'm involved with the Motorcycle section, they're a friendly bunch with group ride-out's and advanced training and test preparation , if that's what your after..:cool:

TVP are not currently in the BikeSafe scheme.
If you follow the link, you can see all the Forces in the UK (plus the Garda in the ROI) who are involved.

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk

Regards,
Pc 520 Martyn Hillier,
BikeSafe Co-ordinator, Gloucestershire Constabulary,
Operations Centre, Bamfurlong Lane,
Cheltenham, Glos GL51 6ST
Tel direct dial 01242 (24) 7028 or ANPR office (24) 7030.

Thomo, cheers. TVP run their own thing, called Safer Rider. Not sure what the difference is.
I called the Oxford IAM group last year and spoke to a guy. Nobody ever bothered to call me back, so I left it alone. Perhaps I'll have another go.

Sorry, that's not the way it is supposed to work :blast

I've sent you a PM

Thanks thomo and Martyn. I'll probably try to do the Gloucs training and local IAM. Really appreciate the help.

Rider Training in Oxfordshire

Hello Friends,

I enquired a year or so ago why there was no scheme in Oxfordshire and this is the reply I received from Thames Valley Police:

As you have correctly identified, Thames Valley Police does not currently participate in the Bikesafe scheme. What is does do is support an initiative run in conjunction with Local Authorities called ‘Be a Better Biker’. This is currently being run in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire and is planned for roll out throughout the Thames Valley area during 2010. In reality, the content of the Be a Better Biker course is very similar to Bikesafe but utilises partner agencies in terms of administration and a combination of DSA approved post test trainers and off-duty police motorcyclists in terms of actual course delivery.

Each day consists of a 2 hour classroom theory followed by a 3 hour on-road assessment, at a subsidised cost to the motorcyclist of £35.
The day is designed to greatly improve your safety on the road by concentrating on such topics as positioning for safety, view, observation and correct use of speed.

The course is also ideal for the motorcyclist who has a full licence, but is returning to motorcycling after a break of several years.
Post test training is valuable and beneficial to all bike riders, no matter what size of bike, or the experience level of the rider.
Post test training gives great value for lifelong learning. This can take you beyond the basic skills to a level that will improve your own safety and others safety. It will also allow you to make better use of the road and gain more enjoyment from riding.

The campaign has been running since 2004 and the assessment days are very popular with bikers. Bikers have been fully involved in the campaign from the start and this has been a huge part of its success.
For further details and course dates currently published for Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, please visit www.saferrider.org or http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/transport/motorbikes.page?

I hope that helps.

RobA.

Thanks thomo and Martyn. I'll probably try to do the Gloucs training and local IAM. Really appreciate the help.

Although I say it myself, 2 days instruction for £20, including lunch, can't be bad.

i received this earlier in the year

Hi Bikers,

As a contact that over the past years that has either, attended a Be a Better Biker (BABB) assessment day or shown an interest in the initiative, I would like to update you on the campaign.
From 2011, BABB has now progressed to being a Thames Valley wide initiative, with support/endorsement from the Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership (safer rider being their logo/brand) and the Thames Valley Police, as the preferred training option for motorcyclists across the Thames Valley region.
There are now assessment days available not only in Buckinghamshire (Princes Risborough & Marlow) but also Milton Keynes (Bletchley), Oxfordshire (Abingdon & Whitney) & Berkshire (Woolhampton).

There is a new web site www.beabetterbiker.co.uk
Please visit it for more information, dates & venues of the assessment days and to book a place.
The course costs £80, but once again in Buckinghamshire we are able to part subsidise despite these troubled times and are offering to pay £30 towards the cost if you are a resident in Bucks, so the assessment day will finally only cost bikers £50, which I still think is excellent value for a days training with high quality instructors.
West Berkshire are also subsidising their assessment days.
We are still awaiting confirmation from Milton Keynes & Oxfordshire for similar commitment to subsidised courses, but we are hopeful this will happen shortly.

Just as a final note the BABB campaign came runners up in the Highways Magazine Excellence Awards for road safety in 2010, this follows a similar result (runners up) in the National Transport Awards for 2009. Third time lucky hopefully sometime in the future as a winner!

Please pass this onto any other like minded bikers, to help spread the message of this initiative.

Hopefully I may see you at one of the assessment days sometime during this year.

Safe biking.

Nigel Spencer
Road Safety Officer
Casualty Reduction
Transport for Buckinghamshire
County Hall, Aylesbury, HP20 1UY
Tel 01296 383431
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/road_safety

Back
Top Bottom