PDA

View Full Version : Help please - lost all drive

Dinger
22-03-11, 20:48
Here's a funny one.
I rode my 1150GSA to my mate's house last November where it has been sitting doing nowt. (I was moving to the house next door to my mate and the new place had no garage.)
I have had a garage built and I've just been round to my mate's to move the GS to it's new home.
Wheeled it out onto his drive and started it up only to find that it's indicating sixth gear with the clutch still engaged???
"No probs" I thought, "It's probably sat in some false neutral or something"
So I kicked it down to neutral (green light on) and selected first gear. No drive. :nenau
So I can kick it into any gear but... nada, zip, bugger all.

Who's nicked my gear cluster?

Any ideas? Bear in mind that the last time I rode it, it was fine and dandy.

Colban
22-03-11, 20:56
Does it make nasty rattly noises when you engage 1st gear?.
Can you turn the rear wheel with bike in gear (not running)?.
Gear lever pivot OK?.You may be stuck in a false neutral.

dancata
22-03-11, 20:59
Here's a funny one.

Who's nicked my gear cluster?

Mice? :D

wessie
22-03-11, 21:00
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/He82NBjJqf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:)

Uncle Rob
22-03-11, 21:02
clutch plate needs freeing off

Dinger
22-03-11, 21:05
Does it make nasty rattly noises when you engage 1st gear?.
Can you turn the rear wheel with bike in gear (not running)?.
Gear lever pivot OK?.You may be stuck in a false neutral.

No noises, It's as if the selector is moving but not connected to anything. Could the selector be goosed but still moving the gear indicator?

I can rotate the rear wheel with any gear indicated and the clutch out.
:confused:

Dinger
22-03-11, 21:08
clutch plate needs freeing off

Surely if the clutch was stuck in the engaged position I'd have shot off down the road when I started it. If it's stuck on the splines in the disengaged position how did it get there?

davegs
23-03-11, 09:57
Just a quick check, make sure the gear linkage from the leaver to gear box is not partially seized. Work it up and down violently with a bit of W.D 40 and see if any thinghappens, if gears are found strip the linkage (lever pivot is on with locktite so heat it first), clean, lube and re-assemble, Good luck!
dave GS

Dinger
29-03-11, 18:57
UPDATE-Equally puzzling:nenau

My neighbour, who happens to be a bike mechanic, finally got round to looking for the problem.
First he got the back wheel off the deck and started the bike. Engaged first gear and let the clutch out - back wheel no go roundy.
He pressed his finger into the bellows aft of the gearbox and could feel the drive shaft rotating. Even though he can't understand why, he is now convinced that the problem is in the final drive.
He removed the back wheel and brake and removed the final drive to find the drive shaft still engaged at the gearbox end. There's no damage to any splines or UJs. Everything looks OK so he put it all back together and it all works fine.
He reckons there's not enough lateral movement in the shaft arrangement for the splines to become disengaged while assembled so WTF has happened and why?
:confused:

davegs
29-03-11, 21:21
I still reckon it was the gearbox wasent in gear becauise of the linkage, we have all had a lot of experiance of these things doubtless some one will poke holes but this happend to me except I sorted it after a panic by the side of the road. many posts have appeared on here regarding linkages so HAVE A GOOD LOOK. Hope your prob is overm, good luxck,
Dave GS