Belarus to Russia Road Border Crossings...

Racey

Reaction score
I have all the necessary Belarus and Russia visas for a forthcoming trip. But I'm led to believe that there is not a "formal" border between Belarus and Russia in some places...

Apparently Russians and Belarus citizens can go back and forth with ease and no border checks.

Quite whether this means the borders crossings are unmanned as some are in Europe :nenau

It may seem strange that someone wants to seek out "Border Burocracy" but to ensure an alien like me (UK citizen) is "right and proper" in Russia I need to ensure I correctly exit Belarus and correctly enter Russia as far as immigration and customs people are concerned.

I'm leaving Belarus via the M10 from Gomel (Homel) which becomes the M13 to Oryl in Russia.

While Belarus citizens don't have to go through any paperwork formalities, does anyone happen to know if there are offices at that border where someone like a UK citizen can do what's necessary to get the correct stamps etc ?

Or do I need to find another crossing ? If so which one ?

Thanks in advance

Simon

if you've got a russia passport then that's true enough movement is pretty simple, if you don't the it's not and you'll be in the queue like everyone else. You can't miss the border.....

I've preferred to avoid Belarus for simple reasons we got a truck impounded there so I was not too happy about it.

the border further north in Latvia was better, just my view...:augie

if you have time then the crossing is what it is, if your on a deadline use the path of least resistance....:thumb2

Simon, it's sounds as though you've already done considerable research on this, again this doesn't quite give the definitive answer you're looking for but it may help.

Migration card transiting through Belarus
"As I have read in this forum many people have wondered how to get Russian migration card when traveling to Russia from Lithuania or Poland, transiting through Belarus, I have good news. We were in Moscow with a friend of mine (From Vilnius, Lithuania), traveling by car through Belarus and back last weekend. As there is no passport control (only Russian customs control for temporary import of cars) you must get Russian migration card (Ìèãðàöèîííàÿ êàðòà) from Belarus passport control when entering BY from Lithuania or Poland. You must clearly state you are going to Russia and request this form. It will be stamped by Belarusian immigration and it is perfectly ok to register your stay in Russia with this migration card. Same procedure applies when traveling by train, just REQUEST THIS CARD FROM BELARUS IMMIGRATION. If you travel to Russia without this card you will have problems registering into a hotel and could be fined when leaving Russia or Belarus. If driving a car, hold the transit customs declaration you filled in when you entered Belarus from LT or PL as Belarus customs will need to see it when returning to Lithuania or Poland. Smolensk customs needs a photocopy of driver's passport and car registration documents (which is not standard procedure in Russian customs) in addition to a photocopy of Russian car insurance (which is a standard procedure.)"

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1138063

EDIT: just seen that low IQ has answered and he knows more than me:D

I would say that if there's a queue, ride to the front else you could lose a day!!

Tim

Whilst I have done a lot of research I clearly hadn't done enough !! That post of yours is most useful... :thumb2

I shall ensure I let everybody know at the Poland / Belarus border , the only way a Brit abroad can (loudly !), that I'm heading off to Russia...

Many thanks :beerjug:

Make sure you keep us all posted with a count down to your departure and if and when you have chance, keep us updated.

You know you have my very best wishes and I know just how fantastic it'll be:thumb

I will... Departure day 25th April...

I'm setting up a blog and will do another ride report once back...

I'll alert those that are interested to the blog site shortly and also the link to my Spot Tracker page...

EDIT: just seen that low IQ has answered and he knows more than me:D

never said I knew more than anyone, but it's simple enough a concept. Unless you have the horn getting fuuked around, it's simpler to drive around the problem. The time saved is better spent having a good time, than time wasted by a second rate border control officer who then phones his mate in the police to make your going to get it up arse 30km further up the road.

We've shipped kit in that area which is a different proposition to holidaying...:thumb2

never said I knew more than anyone, but it's simple enough a concept. Unless you have the horn getting fuuked around, it's simpler to drive around the problem. The time saved is better spent having a good time, than time wasted by a second rate border control officer who then phones his mate in the police to make your going to get it up arse 30km further up the road.

We've shipped kit in that area which is a different proposition to holidaying...:thumb2

Good grief... I'm used to such replies in the wee small hours after you've :beer:

But to get one that early in the evening...!!

Respect !!!

By the way - I have no time constraints at all... If this 22,000 mile trip takes me 6 months, 7 months or 10 months doesn't matter...

Sue (Gracie on here) did all our paperwork, visa applications etc. whilst I kept myself busy with the bike's.

We travelled through Poland, entered Belarus, Brest to Gomel, before entering Russia. We were only allowed a Transit Visa through Belarus but obtaining it wasn't a problem. You need of course a 'letter of invitation' for the Russian visa but again easily obtainable from a hotel or their tourist board. Ours came from the Hotel Intourist at Brest.

For Belarus we had to 'buy' insurance at the border ... three US Dollars each!

One very handy piece of paper was the International Certificate, with Russian translation, for your vehicle registration V5. Nominal cost from the RAC. Every border crossing was more interested in this than the actual vehicle registration ... they could understand it :thumb

Any queue's then go straight to the front .... ;)
:beerjug:

not wishing to point the finger but lets get a few things straight. I work for a living and move kit to places no coont in their right mind wants to go.

:thumb2

you will be on the main road you will buy insurance unless they've run out of forms which might happen....:augie the insurance you will buy won't count for fruk all.... but you'll thank them none the less

and you might want when asked say your heading for st. petersberg.... to put them off the trail....

have a nice holiday.

not wishing to point the finger but lets get a few things straight. I work for a living and move kit to places no coont in their right mind wants to go.

:thumb2

you will be on the main road you will buy insurance unless they've run out of forms which might happen....:augie the insurance you will buy won't count for fruk all.... but you'll thank them none the less

and you might want when asked say your heading for st. petersberg.... to put them off the trail....

have a nice holiday.

Well it's a jolly good job I have my bike insured all the way to Magadan and back for theft and accidental damage already... All I need is third party insurance at the border...

As for St. Petersburg... I may well mosey back through there on the way back... Unless I decide to ship to USA from Vladivostok...

But the constructive advice is appreciated...

Back
Top Bottom