march2011030.jpg

A veiw of the top of the Halifax but underneath an earlier model :nenau:D

march2011034.jpg

was attracted to this little see through number:D

march2011033.jpg

And this made me smile......

march2011037.jpg

Richie:beerjug:

Yeah I would be up for that, its not that big though but very interesting.

Anyway wouldnt that be a kind of busmans holiday style trip for you:D (if your still "in" that is)

Yeah I would be up for that, its not that big though but very interesting.

Anyway wouldnt that be a kind of busmans holiday style trip for you:D (if your still "in" that is)
Kinda. It's nice to see how they did things properly tho, not like us whippersnappers. :D

yeah got about 20 months to push...

even more......

couldnt get a better angle.......

march2011035.jpg

march2011036.jpg

march2011041.jpg

march2011038.jpg

Thats yer lot really :thumb2

Richie:beerjug:

From Concord apparently, so the sign said......

march2011042.jpg

march2011040.jpg

march2011049.jpg

march2011044.jpg

march2011045.jpg

march2011053.jpg

march2011054.jpg

Kinda. It's nice to see how they did things properly tho, not like us whippersnappers. :D

yeah got about 20 months to push...

That will go really quick :comfort

Me, I've 17 yrs left if Osbourne doesnt get his way, +7 if he does:mad:

That will go really quick :comfort

Me, I've 17 yrs left if Osbourne doesnt get his way, +7 if he does:mad:
Aye, I'm just hoping there's a few more jobs going by then. An army pension isn't gonna be enough to keep me in toys. :D

Nice pics and another place to visit in the future :thumb2

great photos, Ive been there many times! My grandad flew halifaxs during the war. Was lucky enought to get a guided tour inside with my dad. :)

great photos, Ive been there many times! My grandad flew halifaxs during the war. Was lucky enought to get a guided tour inside with my dad. :)

Nice pics and another place to visit in the future :thumb2

They used to have a nice little airshow in August when you could also visit the museum within the ticket price, but it hasn't been run the past year or two :(

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

On the Halifax bomber some of the bombs painted on the nose are yellow and some are white. Is this to distinguish between day and nite missions?

They used to do taxi runs up and down the runway in the Victor tanker which were very impressive to watch and in the past if I've gone on the bike the gate staff will let you leave your gear secure in the office.

Well worth a trip

I got talking to one of the last Bomber command air gunners on my last visit. He showed me the electrical failure escape method for a rear turret gunner, You turn a cranking handle a few dozen times to align the turret hatch with the entry to the plane, you climb out and put on your parachute, then climb back in and crank the handle a few hundred times to expose the turret hatch to fresh air and Jump out.
He went on to tell me in all his night flights he never had an enemy plane in his sights. He used to fire off to warn the enemy he was there and look out to warn the pilot to take evasive action.
They were all Hero's, flying into action again and again knowing what your chance of escape you had if crashing.
Lets hope history is kind to these people, the way it seems to be going now many of the missions will be written as acts of terrorism against unarmed cities???
I have heard a New Dam busters film is being made, its supposed to follow real events but all ready Guy Gibson's dog has been renamed, Nigger is not PC acceptable, you can bet there is a constant distinction between the German people and the Nazis.

Back
Top Bottom