An opinion please - first time HD ride

Maxxx

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm very lucky to have been given the chance to attend a conference in Vegas next week and I'm going to have a full day of my own time as I arrive on Saturday afternoon and the conference starts first thing monday morning.

So I thought - what better place could there be for me to hire a Harley!!

The only problem is that I've never ridden a Harley before - I grew up on dirt bikes and moved to dual sport bikes as age and weight piled on .........I'm currently loving my 800GS and use it extensively on and off road - so as you can see I'm more used to the "sit up and beg" riding stance as opposed to the more laid back style associated with Harleys. I'm not at all tall, but as the 800GS is a really tall bike my legs are at a very comfortable bend while sitting for long distance cruising.

So the opinion I am after concerns fwd vs mid mounted controls.

Two bikes have caught my eye:- the Dyna low rider with fwd controls and the 1200 Nightster with mid controls.

My heart lies with the Nightster but a mate of mine told me that my knees are going to kill me if I spend more than 30 minutes at a time on the bike as the mid controls leave you with a very cramped riding position.

I'm planning on hitting the road very early on Sunday and doing about a 200 mile round trip to Hoover dam, Lake Mead and the Valley of Fire - some of that might be an hour in the saddle at a strech.

I'd appreciate a second opinion - please let me know what you think.

I had a Dyna Superglide Custom for a while after riding GSAs for 3 years. No problem with the mid-mount controls or feeling cramped. I took it on a two week holiday to France with no ill effects.
Just ordered a new Triple Black GS, so I've finally come to my senses!

After stamping the floor looking for the brakes on foot forward controls, I did Route 66 on a low rider. Doddle to ride. Whatever you choose I hope you have a good day out.

I'm very lucky to have been given the chance to attend a conference in Vegas next week and I'm going to have a full day of my own time as I arrive on Saturday afternoon and the conference starts first thing monday morning.

So I thought - what better place could there be for me to hire a Harley!!

The only problem is that I've never ridden a Harley before - I grew up on dirt bikes and moved to dual sport bikes as age and weight piled on .........I'm currently loving my 800GS and use it extensively on and off road - so as you can see I'm more used to the "sit up and beg" riding stance as opposed to the more laid back style associated with Harleys. I'm not at all tall, but as the 800GS is a really tall bike my legs are at a very comfortable bend while sitting for long distance cruising.

So the opinion I am after concerns fwd vs mid mounted controls.

Two bikes have caught my eye:- the Dyna low rider with fwd controls and the 1200 Nightster with mid controls.

My heart lies with the Nightster but a mate of mine told me that my knees are going to kill me if I spend more than 30 minutes at a time on the bike as the mid controls leave you with a very cramped riding position.

I'm planning on hitting the road very early on Sunday and doing about a 200 mile round trip to Hoover dam, Lake Mead and the Valley of Fire - some of that might be an hour in the saddle at a strech.

I'd appreciate a second opinion - please let me know what you think.

My own bike is a 650 GS but I've ridden loads of different Harleys in the last few years and have found some far more comfortable than others.

I don't have very long legs and have found that some of the ones with the forward controls make my legs ache quite quickly. I also burned a hole in my trousers on one as my right leg was too far extended and thus too close to the exhaust.

I went out on a 1200 Custom yesterday, granted I only did 60 or so miles but I found that reasonably comfortable enough although the handlebar reach was a touch too far for me

Harleys are usually customised so heavily than no too bikes are the same.
If you get chance to sit on a variety of bikes before you choose one to hire you will probably be able to tell almost straight away if it's going to be comfortable or not.

Other things to bear in mind is that most have no other instruments other than a speedo and an odometer so you need to be aware of the fuel consumption before you set off and make a note of the mileage.
The indicators are on either side and self cancel, much better than the pesky ones on the GS, and you need to be a bit conservative with your cornering as the pegs will touch down.

I'm a GS rider at heart but I love riding Harleys for a change and I really envy you your trip.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice

Unfortunately I have to reserve online before sitting on them in the showroom - I think I'm going with the Nightster - I can always stop if I need to stretch my legs :)

If it isn't too late then most of the Dyna range have mid controls. They are the most 'normal' to ride of the big twins. I doubt if you'll find any riding position that is standard from the factory particularly uncomfortable at legal speeds over a full tank range. If you go for anything with footboards you'll find you have very little ground clearance though.

It doesn't matter what you pick, be prepared to be addicted :green gri

The Sportster will be like a plank to ride, go with the Dyna!

You lucky git

If it was me I would go for a Road King. Smooth, comfortable and plenty of storage. Will have a backrest for pillion if you have one.

Hand controls are easy and the new ones are keyless. I was taught to use my heel for changing down and make more use of the back brake than you would on a GS for a smoother more controlled ride especially with a pillon.

I owned Harleys for 6 six years before the GS and will have another one.

I hired from Eagle Rider in Las Vegas and would do so again.

Easy to find Eagle Rider again when returning bike - with a one day hire 2hrs spent trying to locate them again ain't good.

+1 on the Road King for a more 'normal' riding position; adapting to fwd controls may take the shine off the ride.

When in Vegas .........

Thank you for all the advice - it was really helpful in making my decision. At the end of the day, I went with the Dyna lowrider. It had mid-mounted countrols and forward mounted pegs. This gave me the opportunity to ride the bike "normally" and not be fussed by the new control position but still gave me the opportunity to strech out my legs on the long stretches.

I was thankful for stretching room as although I'm really short (only 5ft something) the seat is so low that my knees were bent quite severely while seated in a normal riding position. This wasn't uncomfortable for short streches but wouldn't have been good on the long runs.

I rode out to Red Rock Canyon on the afternoon I arrived and enjoyed a long pootle through the national park while I got used to the bike. After that I headed back into Vegas and just enjoyed listening to the engine while I "cruised the strip" - a seemingly common passtime in Vegas - especially for the locals with their neon strip lights around their frames ......:ymca

Man that engine sound .........now that I could get used to - it's like a driving a decent V8 - you just know it's what an engine should sound like.

The next day I had a hearty American breakfast of giant pancakes with lashings of creamed butter and syrup and a side of bacon - I needed to make sure I fitted the Harley frame after all :augie

I then went out to Hoover dam and after that I followed the shoreline of Lake Mead up to the Valley of fire National park. The roads were just fantastic - unfortunately not very exciting as they lacked any character (twisties) but they were perfect for the Harley.

A slow trip back saw me drop off the bike at 5pm with a total of just over 350miles on the trip - nothing too adventurous, but a good taster for my first time on a Harley.

Next time (and there will be a next time) that I hire a Harley - I think it might just be a Road King - I was a little nervous about its bulk but I think it's gotta be done.

I've summarised my trip in a short video - the first half contains the bike, the second half was after the sun went down ..

http://www.vimeo.com/22628828

Great video :cool:

Really glad you made the right decision on the bike, a Dyna is a good intro. I'm sure you'll love the Road King when, not if, you hire it. They're addictive aren't they? ;)

Like riding an anvil on wheels. Built for scraping as much metal as possible. Comfortable though. Hope its not a V rod. Mine blew up at 302 miles:eek: Enjoy the experience, its different...:D Give me my GSA anyday:thumb2

Just smile

Over priced, under enginered and a pile of shaking shite, but l can not stop smiling since l bought my Dyna Low. I have never had so much fun with my trousers on.

Think l might have to get another GS aswell though l am missing it.

I would go for the Roadking also, I have owned one for nearly 4 years and is very comfy, I have the Classic which has storage, removeable screen,(seconds) and foot boards which I have never ground down,,,they are a little taller than the soft tails and handle and brake better also,,,

Have a great trip...:thumb

Road King.

I cant imagine anything cooler than riding through the strip on a RK, feet forward, sun shining, shades on :cool:

You HAVE to go to the Harley Davidson Cafe, its great!

Also have dinner in Marguaritaville, its Jimmy Buffet's restaurant, thats a hoot as well.

Whatever you do, whatever you ride, enjoy!

Just realised, youve been!:toungincheek

down the strip

rode down the strip on a Harley in a group of 15, it was a national holiday, 40 degrees of sunshine and the world his wife and dog were all out. It took about an hour, it was soooooo cool.

Back
Top Bottom