heavy duty ---

andydiamond

I have an '03 r1150 G.S with most of the bits added, evo brakes, twin spark engine, etc, and yes it is heavy when fully loaded and a full tank, but it pulls like a train, stays planted at silly lean angles - - -and the back axle/crown wheel housing is a big substantial lump with no hole right through to weaken it.

I tried the 1200gs and thought it was/is a great machine, but, and here is my point, it is not a replacement for the 1150gs, it is a replacement for the r1150s - - - -I like my touring bikes big and heavy duty, not lightened and tuned for a revvy, higher performance flier.

Does anyone else think this way, or am I entering the B.O.F phase of life a bit too early ?

Andydiamond.

Me Too

I don't like the 1200 either, although those who have 'em like 'em, its too small for me not planted like the 1150, now those who know tell me its because the 1150 is heavy it does'nt give the feedback that a sports bike would but the 1200 does, for me I like the feel of the 1150.
The issue is when they stop making the ADV and we don't know when that will be do I get the latest available ADV I can or do I keep my 1150 as the last BMW.

If I want a sports bike I'll my Blackbird out, If I want to go offroad I'll get the MZ out but when a long run is on the cards and I want comfort and stability on all terrains I'll get the all terrain tourer out, The 1150 GS.

Re: Me Too

Jimb said:
I don't like the 1200 either, although those who have 'em like 'em, its too small for me not planted like the 1150, now those who know tell me its because the 1150 is heavy it does'nt give the feedback that a sports bike would but the 1200 does, for me I like the feel of the 1150.
The issue is when they stop making the ADV and we don't know when that will be do I get the latest available ADV I can or do I keep my 1150 as the last BMW.

If I want a sports bike I'll my Blackbird out, If I want to go offroad I'll get the MZ out but when a long run is on the cards and I want comfort and stability on all terrains I'll get the all terrain tourer out, The 1200 GS.

Fixed it for you!

:D

Agree fully that 1150 feels a lot more planted. Got my 1200 in May and had the chance to swap it for an Adv in July when fuel pump failed. Did the swap and not looked back since. The 2 bikes are completely different and will appeal to different riders. Both excelent bikes but on balance I prefer the 1150.

Paul

How did you find the engine vibration and poor gearbox of the 1150 compared tothe 1200?? This is the main reason I went for the 1200 so I'm interested to know.

AndyT

How did you find the engine vibration and poor gearbox of the 1150 compared tothe 1200

You ride a Harley and think think the 1150 gearbox is bad !!!!!!:D :D :D

Andy
I only did 1,200 miles on the 1200 but yes the gearbox was a bit better than the 1150 which also has a little more vibration but not enough to cause me any concern.
Having previously had an 1100 the gearbox is a big improvement on that and so I had no concerns over swapping from the 1200 back to an 1150.
As I said both are very good bikes in different ways and it is down to personel preferences which is best for you.

Paul

PS - I note that Motorcycle Sport prefered their long term test Adv to the new 1200 as well!!!!

Thanks Y'all for the replies, it's good to know some other people still like the 1150 G.S as well as me !

Paul, the gearbox on mine is fine, much better than the 02 blue & white one I had last.

Also, the twin spark engine is smoother than the old one, and the A.B.S evo brakes are excellent ( but not with the ignition switched off !)

And to echo a previous comment, How can you ride a Harley and complain about vibration on other bikes ??

Andydiamond.

andydiamond said:
Thanks Y'all for the replies, it's good to know some other people still like the 1150 G.S as well as me !

Paul, the gearbox on mine is fine, much better than the 02 blue & white one I had last.

Also, the twin spark engine is smoother than the old one, and the A.B.S evo brakes are excellent ( but not with the ignition switched off !)

And to echo a previous comment, How can you ride a Harley and complain about vibration on other bikes ??

Andydiamond.
The 1450cc Harley engine is actually incredibly smooth as a result of the balancer shafts however the gearbox...mmmm...now that's another matter. Its like a Saturn V with a crash gearbox, agricultural is not the word.

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

Back
Top Bottom