iPhone and Android biking apps (MCN Ride Logger)

OscarIndia

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this and had a hunt through to see if I could find it elsewhere. Couldn't, but apols if I've missed it.
Thought it might be good to have a place to record Tossers' reviews of apps they'd tried.

Will kick off with MCN Ride Logger, for iPhone, £4.99 via iTunes.

Bought this ages ago when I was on quicker metal than the GSA. It's probably more sports bike related than anything, but as you all never tire of pointing out, you're all faster than Nicky Hayden anyway in the twisties, so you should still enjoy it. :thumb

Basically it used GPS to record your ride and gives you a set of data at the end - max speed, distance, average speed, acceleration and deceleration G-forces. It also uses Google Maps to plot where you've been, and you can slide the little marker representing yourself along the route and it will show you any of the data options above as the route progresses (so you can see exactly where you hit *ahem* mph or 1g in a bend).

You can also preload it with info about what you're riding, tyres fitted, weather conditions and so on, and rate each ride. You can also share a set of data with friends with a single button.

It's not really a tool, but it is fun and also quite instructive in terms of understanding a little about how you ride.

It's 90% accurate, I'd say, and you can leave it in an outer pocket and it'll work absolutely fine (just hit "go" and set off).

The only downside is it doesn't have a pause feature, so if you stop for fuel, smokes, map checks or whatever it simply factors that time at 0mph into the data, which is a pain. Means you needs to split rides into pieces.

So, basically, it's like a simplified set of race data, but with a fun map function too. £5 isn't cheap for an app, but if you like getting on it a bit on the back roads, or wanted to use it on a tour, I think you'd get your money's worth.

Only word of warning is it eats the iPhone battery like all GPS functions, so a 12v charging cable tends to be an essential extra purchase if you're going to use it a lot.

Attachments

• iPhone Screenshot 1-1.jpeg
    iPhone Screenshot 1-1.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 890
  • iPhone Screenshot 3.jpeg
    iPhone Screenshot 3.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 912
  • iPhone Screenshot 5.jpeg
    iPhone Screenshot 5.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 872
  • iPhone Screenshot 2.jpeg
    iPhone Screenshot 2.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 877
shame there is no way of saving or uploading the map detail onto the computer, and no way of comparing similar rides. Oh well.

shame there is no way of saving or uploading the map detail onto the computer, and no way of comparing similar rides. Oh well.

Presuming you're using a mac it should all be there in the app in iTunes and you can save it by dragging into iPhoto. :thumb

Android app

ECID Enhanced SMS & Caller ID
£1.79

Not strictly a biking app but very useful if you have an headset linked to your phone.

Can be set to speak the callers name from your phonebook, read SMS messages when they arrive, plus read other stuff like emails.

Works well with my Sena BT headset & Galaxy mini.

Has an application bar that allows you to turn on/off individual voice notifications easily, so your personnel sms message isn't read out in the office !

Has a clock to set times between which no voice notifications occur too.

Bit miffed that you have to buy an app for this when Nokia do it as standard, however the SMS reading facility is an added bonus for both bike and car.

Memory map

Got this a while ago, free app but you buy square mileage of maps
But you buy what you need and download maps tile by tile so quite economical so for trail riding green laning gives you os mapping with gps and track logging
If you have pc you can buy full version and download tracks to memorymap
Unfortunately mm won't work with Mac so I have the mobile only version
Tend to use it in jeep for greenlaning and in pocket for rights of way reference on trail bike
Maps are downloaded to phone so still on there when in the middle of now where with no gps or 3G signal :thumb

I use a freebie on Android - "Move! Bike Computer". I think its really good. It's really accurate & you can export your routes to Google Earth.

Sent via Tapatalk

Google My Tracks

Google My Tracks is a good free Android app that performs similarly. No G Force measurement but it does give you average speed and average moving speed.

Exportable to Google Earth too.

Back
Top Bottom