So its not a Hog

The Phantom Pieman

Reaction score
But that no bad thing ...:augie
Has anyone here very owned a Victory?
If so what are they like ....

I fancy slowing down, but as a Buell owner can quite bring myself to buy HD !

As a Buell owner you've not only already bought an HD, you've bought a Sporty :blast

I haven't owned a Victory but I have ridden a couple. They are much closer to a metric cruiser than a Harley in the fit and finish as well as the style. The engines are brilliant, loads of torque and plenty of go.

As far as I can see the main issues with owning a Victory are:
  1. It's not a Harley - if you can put up with the general public assuming that it is and being ignored by HOG then you'll be fine
  2. The depreciation - from new they drop like a stone, even the depreciation on nearly new is eye watering. Don't be fooled by the inflated second hand prices in the Victory dealers, you'll find out what I mean if you try and sell privately
  3. The styling - if you like the bikes then great but the whole 'Ness' thing is a bit OTT outside of Las Vegas IMHO

Having said that I love the big tourer but I'd not spend £19k on it :nenau

As a Buell owner you've not only already bought an HD, you've bought a Sporty :blast

I haven't owned a Victory but I have ridden a couple. They are much closer to a metric cruiser than a Harley in the fit and finish as well as the style. The engines are brilliant, loads of torque and plenty of go.

As far as I can see the main issues with owning a Victory are:
  1. It's not a Harley - if you can put up with the general public assuming that it is and being ignored by HOG then you'll be fine
  2. The depreciation - from new they drop like a stone, even the depreciation on nearly new is eye watering. Don't be fooled by the inflated second hand prices in the Victory dealers, you'll find out what I mean if you try and sell privately
  3. The styling - if you like the bikes then great but the whole 'Ness' thing is a bit OTT outside of Las Vegas IMHO

Having said that I love the big tourer but I'd not spend £19k on it :nenau

I quite like the understated look of the Vegas - but the metric cruiser thing keeps coming to the front of mind !!
The depreciation is what attracts me - I would buy s/h!
tempted by a fatbob - but I can't get over the 50 or so BHP from a 1600 engine!

Oi, a Buell is not a sporty !! :blast
They are much better than that

And being ignored buy HOG. That seems like a very good reason to buy !! I have no intention of hanging around looky likey backpatch gangs, with all of the heirarchy, non of the side benefits.. It's a golf club on two wheels ....

I had a buell X1 which was a great bike to fide but fook me if you think the finish is bad on a GS buy a buell that will cheer you up

I had a buell X1 which was a great bike to fide but fook me if you think the finish is bad on a GS buy a buell that will cheer you up
\

For HD standards it's pretty good TBH. Things only fall apart after 3 months >>>
Fortunately, mine is a) and old tuber b) has been rebuilt by Maz ...

I quite like the understated look of the Vegas - but the metric cruiser thing keeps coming to the front of mind !!
The depreciation is what attracts me - I would buy s/h!
tempted by a fatbob - but I can't get over the 50 or so BHP from a 1600 engine!

HD are on a real test ride push at the moment. I'd go and ride a Fatbob before judging it. BHP isn't important on a bike tuned for torque and top speed is irrelevant on a bike with that riding position :thumb

Oi, a Buell is not a sporty !! :blast
They are much better than that.

You keep telling yourself that ;)

And being ignored buy HOG. That seems like a very good reason to buy !! I have no intention of hanging around looky likey backpatch gangs, with all of the heirarchy, non of the side benefits.. It's a golf club on two wheels ....

Other HD clubs are available you know :green gri

Somebody once told me Buell's are designed by engineers and finished by accountants.

That seemed to sum it up for me.
Rob

But I don't want a tattoo and a life time commitment ....

:jes

There's an amusing thread on the HDRCGB forum where someone asked the difference between a one make bike club and an MC. One of the 'lifestyle' members answered this way:

Well it's like this: I don't have a tattoo of the HDRCGB on my body and the Hells Angels don't send me a quarterly magazine. Other than that they're pretty similar.

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/ :thumb

I've got a Dyna with 'big bore-stage 2' and it is seriously quick. Faster than the GS I think-but not round corners!

What does stage two mean - remove HD engine and replace with a Buell Thunderstorm one ....??:augie

So cams hotted up ??
What gains do you get from stage 1?

Stage 1 get's rid of all the gremlins that passing emission regulations put in. At it's most basic (cans, air filter, chip / jet) it'll give you better fuelling, throttle response and noise ( :cool: ). With a bit more money (setup, full exhaust sytem etc.) you can gain up to 10% ish normally. You are looking at a grand for this from a main dealer.

For Stage two you have to decide which way you are going, power or torque? Infinite choice and infinite expenditure if you want it.

Harley tuning, a black art ;)

Back
Top Bottom