1150GSA fuel gauge/MOT

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My fuel gauge is playing up on my 1150GSA.

Filled it up today and it went from correct indication to 1 bar and has stayed there all day.

I've got it booked in for MOT next week.

Is a buggered fuel gauge an MOT failure,bearing in mind some bikes don't even have them ?

Is there a quick fix I can try to get it sorted ?

Ta

Nothing to do with the MoT:thumb

You may need to take the sender out of the tank and gently clean it making sure it also doesn't stick. Unleaded fuel residue on the sender could be the problem.

Nothing to do with the MoT:thumb

You may need to take the sender out of the tank and gently clean it making sure it also doesn't stick. Unleaded fuel residue on the sender could be the problem.

Thanks Tim.

Silly q,but how do I take sender out of da tank ?

Ta

Thanks Tim.

Silly q,but how do I take sender out of da tank ?

Ta

First, remove tank.:)

Then remove the circular plate held on with 6 x 8mm nuts. Then carefully ease out the fuel pump & filter assembly together with the fuel sender unit. It is a bit of wire with a float on the end. At the other end is a arc that reads the angle of the wire to calculate the fuel level. As Tim says, clean up the contacts and make sure wire is not bent away from the surface.

Whilst doing this, always a good idea to replace the fuel filter at the same time. Careful when removing this as one idiot I know managed to end up in Casualty all day after squirting petrol directly into his eyeball (DAMHIK but it was painful:( ).

Be gentle when refitting circular plate as it is very easy to over tighten the small nuts and strip the thread.

Hope this helps.:)

Sid

Take tank off.

Round panel houses the fuel pump, filter and fuel sender. Undo the bolts and it'll come out. You can either buy a new seal or put the old one on a kettle and it'll shrink back into place.

Be careful with the studs, they snap easily if too much force applied so be gentle.

Thanks guys.

Think I'll leave it and get Steptoe to sort it on next service !!

Bit fiddly for me to start taking tank off etc !!

Back
Top Bottom