What's your technique for lifting the front wheel

JayGee

Reaction score
Anyone got any advice on how to get the front wheel off the ground? I'm not talking big wheelies but just to get the wheel up say 9 inches to go up ruts and even kerbs. Getting the wheel up is quite easy but doing it in a controlled way has got me beat. Just wondered cos I saw a guy on a 1150 hoist the front 6 inches to mount the kerb outside the cafe the other day and thought that would be a useful trick.

Personally Sir,

a block and tackle works every time.
Your Servant.

Parbold X Standish

Sounds like a trick best left to the Plumbs and Paveys of this world........I can imagine a big pile of dented rims being caused by getting it wrong by a foot or two.

:(

Simple. First buy a trials bike or a moto-x bike and learn to wheelie. Then apply those same skills to your expensive new bike.

:D

Personally, I look for a curb cut to get up onto sidewalks.

In Ride I think there is an advert from a guy teaching how to do wheelies with a mod on a GS1200 bandit which cuts the engine just before you flip it....

Ton for the day I think it was...

I also look for lower kerbs, can't wheelie to save me life...

Not brave enough to try it but isnt the technique to throw the weight forward to compress the forks/shock etc then gas it on the rebound.

please post pics of success/failure.................................especially failure:D

Ah a worthwhile post! :D

Wheelies for some reason are immensely satisfying, however they're incredibly difficult to do (properly) and aren't for the faint of heart and thiness of wallet.

Take heed of the advice above, you're very likely to trash your nice GS and hurt yourself. The Wheelie school would be a good laugh as well as teaching you something and a lighter moto cross type machine would help you enormously in practising.

But if it's only kerbs you're after, then as Rushy says, compress the forks just as you come close to the curb then release and a little throttle and the front wheel should glide gracefully over it helped by the suspension decompressing. I wouldn't worry about actually lifting the front wheel as you're likely to shoot through the window of the local bakers. ;)

This other geezer was obviously a bit of a master and you'd need years of practice in order to do it so sweetly.

OK, maybe it's not such a good idea, I just thought it looked really neat. Being an "old git" I haven't got years to practice untill I get it right and being a "tight git" I'll save on the repair costs instead.

Back
Top Bottom