UK to Cape Town Autumn 2011

BorderHooner

I'll keep this short.

I'm emigrating to Cape Town this year. My wife, who is from Cape Town, is flying ahead early to set up home.

I have decided that, rather than ship my bike and fly, it will be amazing to ride down.

I am aiming for end of September but if delayed may be October.

And...erm.... I have a 3 year old KTM 990 Adv - not a GS.

But I thought I'd post up here to see if anybody else has an interest in heading that way too.

I am looking into heading down WEST rather than the usual East route. But that depends largely on wether or not I will be eaten alive by the wild beasts :pullface

Anybody interested please let me know.

And anybody willing to share info/advice please do.

Thanks

Karl

Karl good luck on that one mate..... definitely a worthwhile exercise...... however your wild animals will be the least of your worries! It's the "residents" that seems to be the problem.

I had the honour of meeting Lois Pryce who rode the Western route on her own..... try get her book "Red Tape & white Knuckles" - a really good read.

Also go and join - and post your trip on the SA DS-riders forum.... www.wilddog.za.net/forum - there's always some mad Safricans that would be up for the adventure and you might well meet a couple of them on the way.

:drool:drool nice one - safe ride!

hi there Karl

Im keen for that ride drop me an e-mail as soon as you can

Thanks
Raymond

Trip

Hi
Karl
Did that trip back in 2007 did it on an organised ride with Kudu, even so it was hard work but well worth it, best diet I have ever been on 20kgs in four months, to be honest most of the locals were just interested and the bike seamed to help in a strange way they could not understand why anyone would want to do it, we the usual what have you got for me etc but no real hasale best thing I've ever done, started off as a bit of an off road novice but by the time we got to Cape town if i say so myself was not to bad at off road.. Just have a look at what sort of weather season it will be as some of the roads we went on were very very dusty but the same roads at the wrong time of year would be lets say liquid mud...
You will have a great time short notice or I would have been right along with you.
Still got a few way points etc if these are of any use to you.
Enjoy
Pete

Hi
Karl
Did that trip back in 2007 did it on an organised ride with Kudu, even so it was hard work but well worth it, best diet I have ever been on 20kgs in four months, to be honest most of the locals were just interested and the bike seamed to help in a strange way they could not understand why anyone would want to do it, we the usual what have you got for me etc but no real hasale best thing I've ever done, started off as a bit of an off road novice but by the time we got to Cape town if i say so myself was not to bad at off road.. Just have a look at what sort of weather season it will be as some of the roads we went on were very very dusty but the same roads at the wrong time of year would be lets say liquid mud...
You will have a great time short notice or I would have been right along with you.
Still got a few way points etc if these are of any use to you.
Enjoy
Pete

Damn i would love to do a route like that , im southafrican and from jo burg , i spent a few years in cape and am going to capetown for my step bro's wedding come october . funny thing is ...he has the 990 ktm and he is shipping it that way !! this could be interesting !:JB

Back
Top Bottom