Were the bike designers in Honda Drunk?

Myke Rocks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When my son passed his bike test a couple of years ago, he bought a Honda Deauville, used it for a couple of months, and then parked it in my garage because he had lost interest at the time.
The bike lay 2 years, and he decided he would like to go to Europe on it later this summer.
I put a battery in it and it started first time.
The tyres were old, worn & hard, so it was decided to replace them.
Front wheel, no problem.

Rear wheel. To get it out is difficult in the extreme.
On my RT, I can remove the rear wheel in under 3 mins, and replace it in the same time.

Deauville has to be lifted up at the rear to permit the wheel to clear the non removeable panniers.

Then one discovers there is not enough room to get the wheel back between the hub and the other side.

Go to Internet. Yes, you remove the rear hub.

Get new tyre on rim, which is at least 10kg heaver than an RT rim.

Go to put it together again. One has to set the wheel into place, and refit the hub, which has a splined shaft which has to be entered into it's female half 150mm up the swinging arm tube.

This took me over 30 mins of cursing in a garage with lighting and jacking equipment.

The axle & hub assembly have multiple spacers on their length, just to make things more difficult.

I do not believe the wheel could be taken out & replaced at the side of the road.

Like belt drive Hardleys, this is absolutely awful to change a rear tyre.

If I had known how difficult it was, the bike would never have been bought, even as a cheap throwaway.

Myke

You've got to decide wether it's worth the extra £10K to be able to get the wheel in 3 minutes......

Back
Top Bottom