Dry bags and a very well priced LOMO

Smythson

Reaction score
After deciding to go for soft luggage instead of hard panniers I've spent a little while looking for dry bags.

I'd be lying if i said it wasn't largely a fiscal decision! I looked at Ortlieb / Kriega / Wolf but felt they were too much for what they were.

On my search i also looked at www.alpkit.com who sell all sorts of very reasonably priced gear including drybags of all sizes.

And just one more - www.over-board.co.uk who sell backpacks that look remarkably like Kreiga tail packs (though admittedly not quite as many loops / straps!)

I did also look at The North Face and Gul big bags - not fully waterproof.

I finally went with the LOMO 60l rucksack, sold by www.ewetsuits.co.uk.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/rucksack-dry-bags-rucksacks.html

(They are also on eBay if you are so inclined)

Albeit i've yet to test in really really heavy rain i did another highly scientific test to establish it's air-tightness... by sitting on it filled with air whilst cleaning my chain (of note - Holt's anti-fling chain lube - anti-fling my arse!) 15 minutes of 10 stone did not seem to deflate the bag at all.

I like the fact it has a backpack carry option for the odd bit of hiking. The shoulder straps are nicely shaped and quite wide so as not to pinch and the waist strap cinches down to even my 30 inches. All these bits are velcro'd on (very securely) so can be removed if desired.

The material appears as tough as Ortlieb's (i'm comparing it to their sailing bags as i have not seen their motorcycle setup in the flesh)

In terms of colour - they were fresh out of Iceberg Silver so it was red, red or red. I have been in contact with them pointing out a black may have cross appeal to bikers and it is something they are looking into.

I am not connected to any company, it's just that i did quite a lot of looking and hope that this saves someone some time along the way.

Peace out,

S

+1 :thumb2 for lomo:clap:clap:clap

can't vouch for their longevity, but I can vouch for their ability to keep the water at bay. I bought 2 for camping trips last year, got soaked in Scotland over 10 days (every day, moving base every day), and found where Noah parks his Ark in Wales (campsite was under 2 foot of water). I was wet through (gortex and oversuit, but the bags kept everything dry- needless to say I cut the trip short, but definitely will go back.

As with all things though, make sure you keep the bags dry on the inside, coz if you pack a wet tent in them it will stay wet…….. I keep the tent in one and sleeping bag / bedding in the other for comfort sake

Mine are holding up fine, but that's only about 15 days worth of use. Good value though so far.

Update and mod...

I know it's poor form to bump ones own thread but... now it's seen some serious, heavens opening downpour and let in not a drop.

Also done a little work to make it more convenient for travels...

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/Smythson/P6130092.jpg

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h338/Smythson/P6130090.jpg

There are two clips opposite (in terms of male/female) to those on the waist straps of the bag secured to the bike. They are cable tied with some slivers of rubber matting between them and the frame. They are positioned between the passenger footpegs either side. This enables the waist strap to hold the bag to the bike whilst the shoulder straps are secured over the pillon handles using the chest clip threaded through to hold them in place. Still secure at motorway speeds.

Total cost - ~£3

Pros - only three clips on/off bike = v. quick

Cons - no passenger

I did consider weight. On one hand it is higher than panniers (though there's >10kg saved by not having a rack) On the other hand the weight of the bag is further forward, so hopefully easier to handle.

S

Still getting the hang of this picture stuff...

P6130092.jpg

P6130090.jpg

S

just come back from a short 5 day 1300 mile trip and it rained like god knows what and the contents of the LOMO back stayed completely dry so +1 from me

Back
Top Bottom