STONEHENGE PUBLIC INQUIRY

Sharik

Reaction score
Apologies if you are aware of this already, if not it may be of interest. A Public Inquiry (PI) begins today on access within the Stonehenge World Heritage Site (WHS) and is expected to last three weeks.

The inquiry will essentially be in two parts, one considering the closure of the A344 from the A303 to Airman’s Corner and the second will consider the TROs removing all mechanically propelled vehicles from all of the byways within the WHS.

Further information is available from the Wiltshire Council Highway Department.

It's all getting a bit precious isn't it?

I remember when you could clamber all over the stones, now it's almost as though there's a fear that visitor's exhaled breath will erode them to nothingness within a few decades.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bit of a history-groupie, can't get enough of it but Stonehenge has survived (to a degree) four thousand years of people passing it or climbing on it. It's not even as though it is as it once was, it was re-built a few decades ago.

No doubt, they'll be putting it under glass before long.

Stonehenge was a great disappointment to me when I first saw it, I had read about what a tremendous feet of engineering it was for it's time and expected to see some great towering edifices not something about 20' high.

People are far too preciious about old stuff - it's a wierd modern psychological disease, in the old days no one cared too much about old stuff. It really is not that important.

Drove by it yesterday. All the access roads were closed off for the druids to do their solstice sacrifice of a virgin bullshit. Lots of weirdy beardys and hippy hags wandering about. All a bit odd. Also lots of ratty old campervans and busses on their way to Glastonbury. Made for an interesting drive to work :cool

People are far too preciious about old stuff - it's a wierd modern psychological disease, in the old days no one cared too much about old stuff. It really is not that important.

So I take it you have no sense of identity or connection with the past at all?

Do you genuinely see yourself as just a unit of humanity, no different from any other and with no connection to anyone else - even your own parents?

Drove by it yesterday. All the access roads were closed off for the druids to do their solstice sacrifice of a virgin bullshit. Lots of weirdy beardys and hippy hags wandering about. All a bit odd. Also lots of ratty old campervans and busses on their way to Glastonbury. Made for an interesting drive to work :cool

one mans priest is anothers peadofile, how can druids get away with getting bullshit out of Virgins...the durty bastad's that's like feaces from another speccies ...

If this shit continues I'm going to have a word with'em

:mad:

I used to climb all over it in the late seventies when i used to go to netheravon skydiving and if the weather was bad we'd go along to the stones , i've even got a shard here at home........ :D The place used to be empty.

And they were going to use stonehenge as a target for bombing practise during WW1.

It's sole use now is to make money.

Apologies if you are aware of this already, if not it may be of interest. A Public Inquiry (PI) begins today on access within the Stonehenge World Heritage Site (WHS) and is expected to last three weeks.

The inquiry will essentially be in two parts, one considering the closure of the A344 from the A303 to Airman’s Corner and the second will consider the TROs removing all mechanically propelled vehicles from all of the byways within the WHS.

Further information is available from the Wiltshire Council Highway Department.

Thx for the info

I predict both options will be taken up :thumb2

I've heard it blamed on the Romantic Poets, Keats and Wordworth and that lot, they started the idea that "old is good" and should be preserved... It never caught on in the rest of Europe, so they don't worry about preserving old shite over there.

It was a right old mess when Constable painted it in 1836...

11805.jpg

The sad thing is that the locals and the council are trying to grab the access byways as well as the byway alongside Stonehenge. You can understand possibly losing that one but not the others

Hurrah! (I think...) Byways saved!

This just in:

Wiltshire Council said:
Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 – Public Inquiry 20 September – 4 October 2011
The County of Wiltshire (Stonehenge World Heritage Site, Parishes of Amesbury, Berwick St James, Durrington, Wilsford cum Lake, Winterbourne Stoke and Woodford) (Prohibition of Driving Order 2010

Further to my email dated 22nd November 2011 concerning the proposed Traffic Regulation Order for the Stonehenge area.

The Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport has now considered a report prepared following the receipt of the Planning Inspector’s report. He has accepted the Inspector’s recommendation and has decided that the traffic restriction should be made to apply only to the A344 and not the Byways. This order will now be sealed in due course to be operative at a date appropriate to the overall development.

The report can be viewed by following the link below and the decision will come into effect on 2nd January 2012. (Please note that some of the appendices attached to the report are very large as they contain copies of letters received as a result of the original advertisement).

http://cms.wiltshire.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?ID=517

Yours faithfully,

Peter Harris

Principal Traffic Engineer

Traffic and Network Management

Wiltshire Council

Direct Line: 01225 713285

Fax Number: 01225 713309

Email:peter.harris@wiltshire.gov.uk

Perhaps I'll get to ride them yet...

Back
Top Bottom