Water ingestion

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following a deeper than expected marine excursion last weekend I've been doing some investigating and it seems I may have had a lucky escape. Despite not unreasonable expectations my 1200GSA is not really built for deep water (by deep I mean over about a foot). :mad:

The snorkel entrance is underneth the front of the fuel tank so well placed to suck in water once it gets to cylinder height, or potentially much lower if you're moving at a lick (for instance if you need the momentum).

I whipped off the air filter to have a look at the airbox and two things strike me. Firstly, whilst it could be possible to extend the breather hose (top of which is visible in the photo, it connects to the LH cyclinder block) with a suitable piece of rubber pipe as this would only help to avoid water draining into the crankcase.

As you can see from the photo below assuming I can work out how to attach it (looking in through the space normally occupied by the air filter) the first place any water is going to go however is straight down the inlets so in all liklihood the engine will stop at that point anyway. Soooo.....working on the principle that prevention is better than cure I'm thinking about fitting some kind of baffle at the snorkle entrance.

As such a device would limit airflow and I'm not in the habit of riding through deep water I'd prefer to carry it with me and them fit it if I come across any water which looks deep enough to warrant it.

Just wondered if anyone had any learning experiences with a suitable bafle that could be quickly/easily fitted over the snorkle entrance?
<< see photo in next thread>>

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom