Oil on rear tyre?

captain_nesmo

Reaction score
Well, I've finally taken the plunge and purchased an 1150! It was purchased from a friend of JH of this parish. It's a very tidy example and at the time of purchase looked fine.

I've ridden it approximately 50 miles since buying it, and having just come back from a quick bimble to the shops, I've just noticed oil on the drive side of the rear tyre. Tracing it back, it seems that it may be coming from the final drive seal.

I've attached some images, so hopefully Steptoe will be along shortly to impart his wisdom!

I've done a search but can't seem to find anything specifically referring to oil being deposited on the rear tyre.

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 363
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 319
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 311
Final drive seals are common and akin to replacing a sprocket and chain set in terms of maintenance frequency.

Or one of the input/output seals none of which are major dramas and commonly fixed. Could be if the bike has sat for a while the seals have hardened.

If it's the big seal it's probably taken out by the bearing cage failing.

Parts are quite cheap and it's not a big job. Just about the only weak point on an 1150.

Having cleaned the fluid off, I've had another ride and while there's still some there, it's nowhere near as much as before so I'm assuming it's water that's worked its way inside the seal and is just coming out.

I'll monitor it for a few days and see what happens.

Cheers for the all the replies guys! I'll get it into Steptoe is the problem doesn't vanish.

Having cleaned the fluid off, I've had another ride and while there's still some there, it's nowhere near as much as before so I'm assuming it's water that's worked its way inside the seal and is just coming out.

I'll monitor it for a few days and see what happens.

Cheers for the all the replies guys! I'll get it into Steptoe is the problem doesn't vanish.

The problem will vanish, once all the oil has leaked out:D

Cheap fix, no problem, better to do it now...

True Richie, true!

Upon riding home today, I noticed that my rear brake seems non-existent and there's a connection for the rear brake directly above the where the drip was on the FD gaiter.

Suggestions anyone?

True Richie, true!

Upon riding home today, I noticed that my rear brake seems non-existent and there's a connection for the rear brake directly above the where the drip was on the FD gaiter.

Suggestions anyone?

When the last big bearing on mine failed the lack of a rear brake was the first I knew about it.

Get a new cable tie for the FD gaiter then cut off the old one. Or be a clever clogs and use a knife point to release the locking tongue in the existing tie. If there is oil inside the gaiter it's either the input seal on the final drive or gearbox oil coming down the swingarm/shaft housing. If it's the FD that is a bit more complex needing special tools and 250Nm's of torque.

I sent mine to Scriminger

Excellent service at a reasonable price No connection other than happy customer.

If it's the gearbox ditto.

Interesting!

Why would a bearing failure cause loss of rear brake?

Oil on the brake pads/disc will do that.
A failing bearing can allow the disc to float and push the pads/pistons back in which can make the pedal need a couple of pumps before the brake works.

If oil gets onto the pads it can be a fecker to get out. Get some from www.gsshop.biz and see if that improves.

Also open the top of the FD filler cap and the top gearbox filler hole. Both oils should be at the top. If they're not then they are low.

oil leak

If you get stuck i'm not too far away from you in whitstable,tools etc. also just round the corner from you theres a great independant, Brian Giles pembury
contact details are.Brian Giles
34 Maidstone Road
Pembury
Kent
01892 823514
07850 438405

Cheers for all the help guys!

A 1150 Adventure owning mate of mine and I sat down and traced the issue pretty quickly. I had a split rear brake hose!

I've had it replaced with a Goodrich braided hose, system topped up and bled and all is fine!

It's so nice to have a rear brake!

Good news! I felt really bad for you. Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy and ride safe !
Cheers for all the help guys!

A 1150 Adventure owning mate of mine and I sat down and traced the issue pretty quickly. I had a split rear brake hose!

I've had it replaced with a Goodrich braided hose, system topped up and bled and all is fine!

It's so nice to have a rear brake!

Back
Top Bottom