1150 - popping then flat battery?

Boxergs

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Wondered if anyone can offer some advice on my latest issue please?

2000 1150gs, standard bike, used daily for 60 mile commute. Loads of miles. Has been running fine and has been serviced recently and had a new hall sensor fitted 3 mnths ago. Today it started fine but on the way to work I noticed it was popping/banging more than usual. (I've had a stubby on for about 5 yrs now with no ill effects apart from the odd pop 'n bang when shutting throttle off) It was popping far more this morning and felt slightly lumpy.

Anyway, it started ok when I left work tonight but immediately I could tell it was popping even more than this morning. I got about 8 miles when it just cut out. Wouldn't restart and the battery was completely flat.

Managed to get recovered home and opinion seems to be pointing at knackered battery which is about 3 yrs old Varta gel battery.

My question is.......is it more likely to be a knackered battery or something wrong with the charging cycle/alternator? I'm happy to replace the battery but will be fed up if the new battery loses it's charge straight away.

Anyway, over to you guys, I seem to remember that the battery should read about 14 volts across the terminals when fully charged and the engine running...is that correct?

Thanks for any advice.

Phil

Battery

Charge it up so you can start it then stick a volt meter on the battery and see if it's charging. Suspect this is the prob or if just flat battery it would keep running but not start. Also check your alternator belt is ok.
Dave GS

Charge it for 12 hrs or so.

Then stick it on the bike, and run the engine. Should be around 13.8 - 14.4 v when alternator is running well.

Battery is not connected to the popping issue unless its a timing problem and the CDI is sending a spark at irregular intervals. Its probably flat because you have tried to start it and flattened it yes? or its just old

Have you done a compression test? you may have destroyed the exhaust valves with the "stubby" Without more info Its imposs to speculate but popping/banging is always due to unburnt fuel in the exhaust which is not how it was intended to run. This can cause issues with the lip of the exhaust valve and I have seen valves burnt out because of this. Have you ever put 97 RON in it with your stumpy zorst? If so.....oh dear:blast

Imagine unburned fuel passing thru a knackered exhaust valve, it gets into the hot exhaust and is ignited by heat from the good pot. A good rule of thumb is if a 4 stroke is popping, its not a good thing.

You may be lucky and just need to set your valves up on the other hand as badly set valves can also do this.

Al.

Thanks for replies,

ilkleyal....I wondered if the battery had discharged enough before it failed which may have caused a weak spark causing more unburnt fuel to exit than normal...thats my hope anyway ....dunno if it's feasable tho?

It's on charge now and I'll get a voltmeter to check if charging when running.

Will probably have to replace the westco battery I think, only lasted about 3 yrs so will try an original oem I think

Popping and banging badly could be the TPS unit is playing up.

Mine started popping and banging slightly a while back. I replaced the air filter and spark plugs. That sorted it on mine.

Could have been an entirely different problem though.

Regards

Rob C

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust valves at this stage, the standard catalyst will be giving plenty of back pressure. I've run a stubby for over 30,000 miles without any problems.

The onset of the popping may just have been a result of deteriorating voltage. I'd check out the charging system first which needs a charged battery as stated above.

New oem gel battery ordered this morning from Motobins, delivered tomo hopefully.

Charged old un for 12 hrs last night and she started fine. I haven't got a voltmeter so put lights on and tried to see if they brightened when revs are increased but couldn't see any difference:nenau

Gonna take it out for a local run later to see if the popping is still there and swap battery tomo night and see how I get on going to work on Thursday:augie

I'm off on Friday so will have time for some poking about.

Thanks again for the replies, hopefully it'll be no more tears.

Well I took bike out last night with 12 hrs of charge in the old battery, started fine although abs didn't initialise. Rode for 5 miles or so and still popping. When I got home I left it idling for 2 mins with lights, heated grips and hazards on. Stopped it and tried restart, battery flat.

New battery on tonight, took it for a run, still popping:mad:

Gonna ride it to work tomo and get it looked at on friday. Off to do a search for TPS now:blast

Aarrghh..FFS:mad:

New battery on last night.

Rode bike to work this morning, didn't put lights on but still popping & farting all the way in. Just pulled into works carpark when I saw both abs lights flashing and then it died. Same as on Monday night. Battery flat again so obviously not charging. £80 wasted and still in same boat and will have to get recovered again tonight. Even if battery recovers enough to start it I'm sure it'll stall before I get home.

I suppose at least I've got a spare battery I can swop to whilst I recharge the new one:blast

Need to get mate and his voltmeter but obviously a charging issue somewhere.
Any ideas please?

Edit....just had an interesting conversation with Steve Scriminger, he reckons it could be the starter motor drawing current if there's corrosion. He mentioned a small tin plate that can become disploged allowing corrosion on some terminals which would then allow a discharge from the battery and would flatten it far quicker that a 30 mile journey would. He also reckons it would cause the popping issue due to low voltage at the spark because of the discharge. Seems to fit the symptoms I've had.

Any more thoughts/info appreciated. Thanks

My Kawasaki's used to have the regulator/rectifier die regularly. This stopped the alternator from charging the battery. After a full charge a 40 mile ride into work would kill the battery again.

Do GS's have a regulator/rectifier?

Regards

Rob C

I suppose at least I've got a spare battery I can swop to whilst I recharge the new one:blast

Need to get mate and his voltmeter but obviously a charging issue somewhere.
Any ideas please?

Nothing wrong with having a spare battery and yes, you need a multimeter to help you diagnose the problem, and learn how to use it: Please ask if you need help.

Does your Charge Warning lamp function when you power up the bike?

Do GS's have a regulator/rectifier?

Regards

Rob C

Yes, they all do because it's necessary to rectify, i.e. convert, AC from the alternator to DC for the regulator & battery.
They can be tested when you work out which terminals connect to the internal diodes, and the correct polarity, but a positive test result here does not mean they are fully functioning under working conditions.

He mentioned a small tin plate that can become disploged allowing corrosion on some terminals which would then allow a discharge from the battery and would flatten it far quicker that a 30 mile journey would.

There's a picture thread in this section, i think it's by mikeP, showing him fixing that exact problem on his starter motor.

Update

Still waiting for recovery to turn up. I now also have a flat fecking back tyre courtesy of a nice big screw I must have picked up this morning.

Managed to find that thread by MikeP and have printed it out ready for tomorrow. Voltmeter shows 11.5v when it's running so confirms charging issue although the battery light is on when ignition is switched on so looks like it's discharging somewhere, probably thru the starter as Scrimingers reckon.

At least I've got tomorrow off so hopefully will be able to post a positive outcome then, Thanks for all the advice.

Finally got to the bottom of this with the help of a mate with more knowledge than me:rob

Stripped starter, all ok, clean as a whistle actually.

Removed tank and poked about in the mass of electrics under there and found that on the main feed from the alternator there was a badly corroded connector which had almost broken loose. Once it was cleaned, and a new connector soldered on it was charging at the required rate.:clap:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

08072011137.jpg

08072011141.jpg

Had the same problem on a Quad recently. Stripped all the stator, regulator and rectifier down then after 3 weeks of doing various things worked out that one of the connectors was a bit iffy. Sorted that then one of my bikes killed its battery due to a faulty regulator rectifier which was replaced under a recall.

The Quad made loads of bangs when it was just about to die. Just like a clown car. Damn things gone now it just didn't like water.

Back
Top Bottom